Ultimate Ears for jogging?
Jun 17, 2009 at 1:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

cool_hand

New Head-Fier
I have shortlisted a pair of Ultimate Ears Super Fi 5 Pro to use with my iPod.

Is the design suitable for jogging, in respect of the way the buds fit into the ear, or should I go for something else?

I would like Ultimate Ears.

Any recommendations or advice would be welcome.

Jun 17, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #3 of 12
Particularly with comply tips I think UE's are fine for jogging. All IEM's exhibit some microphonics. UE's aren't too bad but the bigger issue with jogging is the thump thump thump you hear within your body that will be apparent with any IEM that isolates.

Jun 17, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #4 of 12
I've owned IEMs by both UE and Westone, and I would wholeheartedly recommend Westone over UE for exercise uses. In my experience, the UE cables produce a ton of microphonics (cable noise from the cable bouncing against you body and clothes) while the Westone cables produce almost none. The "thumping" from your own body impact that Spyro is describing is also much less with the Westone models since they sit flush inside your ear.

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #5 of 12
the difference between the cables makes alot of difference.

westone cables are so much softer therefore more suitable .. so long you get the IEMs to stay where they are.

Jun 17, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #6 of 12
I couldn't get my UEs to stay in when running as sweat would cause them to slip out so I've reverted to cheapie buds for running.
Plus I can hear more background noise, which helps avoid being run over as I run outside not in the gym.

Jun 18, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #8 of 12
I've had the Super.fi 5 Pros for almost a year and half and I still love them. They work fine for jogging as long as you do these two things. (1) Use the Comply foam tips; you need their snug fit for jogging. (2) Wear them over your ear and down your back, with the iPod clipped to the small of your back, like performers do with their monitors. This eliminates any cable noise.

You'll love the Super.fi 5 Pros, esp if you listen to rock, alternative or blues where they really shine.

Jun 18, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #9 of 12
All IEMs involve an adjustment, particularly when you're stomping around. The snugger the fit, the easier the adjustment. I didn't notice any problems with either the UE's or Westones. I did have some problems with the Etymotics. When I was testing them, I accidentally rubbed the little grills near the handles and got the microphonic equivalent of a car horn in the face. Ouch!

Jun 18, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #11 of 12
I wouldn't jog with Super Fi's, to be honest. The drivers could become loose and rattle around, and sweat could get inside the phone.
For jogging, just get yourself some buds or some cheaper canal phones.

When I jog, I just use some crappy Sennheiser buds. They do the job.

Jun 18, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #12 of 12
I would second getting an inexpensive pair of earbuds, not IEMs. Depending on where you jog, the difference could be a life-saver. And besides, when you're jogging, sound quality takes a back seat to comfort, durability and cost. Just my $.02.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back