Ultimate Ears cable, am I doing it wrong?
Aug 10, 2009 at 12:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

thammuz

100+ Head-Fier
Well, I am on my third cable... Well, technically my second and after waiting over a month for a replacement cable from them, and a fourth phone call I am sending my phones plus cable for a full blown replacement for my Super.fi 3s (after mentioning about the service from Etymotic, some people may have seen my post about that).

This second cable lasted me significantly longer than my original one, almost a full year as opposed to one month. On the first cable the right side, I assume, developed a short, received a replacement three days later. Now, on this cable the left side doesn't play at full, when compared to the right, so it is going out.

I wear them over the ear and don't usually fuss with the memory wire but I can't help but notice that the problem on both wires can sometimes be fixed if I play with the memory wire. Granted I own the Super.fi 3s, do they use a cheaper cable on them? I don't want to get an alternate cable from a third party, since I do have and love the ER4 and I am still under warranty (both cables, well cable and replacement have both been free). I also don't want to retire these, since they are nice when I don't want ER4 isolation. (ER4 for when I am in one of the noisy business labs and SF3 for when I am in the quiet engineer lab).

Aug 10, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #2 of 16
I had to replace my Super.fi 5 Pro cable frequently. My problem is it wouldn't make a good connection to the headphones anymore.

Aug 10, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #3 of 16
I believe the cable is the same across all Super.Fi's now (the ones that take the replacement cable, anyways). Straight plug, single cable, silly memory wire. I don't know what you're doing to break the connection though. You'd have to yank pretty hard, or stuff them in a pocket hard with one of the earphones catching on the outside.

Aug 10, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #4 of 16
I have a pair of super.fi 4vi and they didn't last half a year. Wire is thin and were breaking at the plug.

Personally, for portable use (i.e. listening when walking around malls etc as opposed to bringing to someone's home and sitting down in peace to listen to music) I expect them to be more sturdy. My Shire SCL2 last nearly 2 years before the same happened and even then it was breaking up as badly.

Aug 10, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of super.fi 4vi and they didn't last half a year. Wire is thin and were breaking at the plug.

Personally, for portable use (i.e. listening when walking around malls etc as opposed to bringing to someone's home and sitting down in peace to listen to music) I expect them to be more sturdy. My Shire SCL2 last nearly 2 years before the same happened and even then it was breaking up as badly.

Sounds like someone is wrapping their earphones around their iPod or Mp3...

Aug 11, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like someone is wrapping their earphones around their iPod or Mp3...

No, I don't wrap it around my players. I coil them and put them in a container after use, but I find the plug fragile for portable use. I keep my iPod in my front trouser pockets when in use walking around town, and the stress on the plug has caused the wire to be exposed now that is an intolerable crackling noise. I don't yank the plug out (intentionally or accidentally) so to me it is normal wear and tear. And if the wire breaks (inside the covering) within 1 year, then the plug is fragile in my opinion.

The super.fi 4vi aren't top of the line iems but realistically speaking they are cheap either. I expected them to last longer and have better build quality.

Aug 11, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

No, I don't wrap it around my players. I coil them and put them in a container after use, but I find the plug fragile for portable use. I keep my iPod in my front trouser pockets when in use walking around town, and the stress on the plug has caused the wire to be exposed now that is an intolerable crackling noise. I don't yank the plug out (intentionally or accidentally) so to me it is normal wear and tear. And if the wire breaks (inside the covering) within 1 year, then the plug is fragile in my opinion.

The super.fi 4vi aren't top of the line iems but realistically speaking they are cheap either. I expected them to last longer and have better build quality.

i never believed in UE for build quality, except the new UE700 which seems pretty solid built. So i guess there's nothing you could do but be more careful and get a replacement...or you could switch to another company =)

Aug 11, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #8 of 16
Yeah - not going to be UE for replacement. Used in the same way, my Shure's lasted close to 2 years. I guess I am not the most delicate user either. But I do stand by my belief that portable gear should be able to withstand some (a little) abuse.

Probably going to get something cheaper - maybe Mingo's phones.

Aug 11, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Yeah - not going to be UE for replacement. Used in the same way, my Shure's lasted close to 2 years. I guess I am not the most delicate user either. But I do stand by my belief that portable gear should be able to withstand some (a little) abuse.

Probably going to get something cheaper - maybe Mingo's phones.

Try Jays, they have a excellent build quality. And the j-Jays is very affordable around $40. Also try MEElectronics, they have by far the best price to performance ratio i have ever heard/seen. Just wait a little bit, as they are coming out with two brand new earphones in September.

Aug 17, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

I have a super.fi 5 pros for over an year now and when I started out I used to wrap them around my iPod. I avoid doing that now but sometimes do so in a hurry (say once a week). Not much wear and tear. the UE cables are super tough. I have been using these cables for a little over 14 months and only now am I planning to replace them after a month or so...
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #11 of 16
Super.fi 4s use a different cable. It's not detachable, and is thinner than the Super.fi cable. I think it's similar in diameter to the ER6i cables.

Aug 19, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by demo1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're looking into another IEM with replaceable cables, go for Sennheiser's IE8. Top notch build-quality!

Or you could go custom, there are many very affordable customs nowadays. Westone's new updated CR1 custom is only $289. The JH5 and UE4 is only $399 despite being dual drivers. Alien Ears is also very cheap, but their SQ doesn't live up to Westone's, Ultimate Ears or JH Audio

Aug 19, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by avalanche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a super.fi 5 pros for over an year now and when I started out I used to wrap them around my iPod. I avoid doing that now but sometimes do so in a hurry (say once a week). Not much wear and tear. the UE cables are super tough. I have been using these cables for a little over 14 months and only now am I planning to replace them after a month or so...
smily_headphones1.gif

They are infact very rough, and stiff. I don't like them at all. However, Westone comes to save the day with the New Westone 1 =)

Aug 19, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #15 of 16
I'm on my second cable (including the one that came with it) for my triple-fi's since June.

I really don't like how stiff they are. However, I do love that I can take my cable out and just order the replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back