Ultimate Ears Bi-Flange- kills bass?
May 19, 2009 at 6:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

GarageBoy

100+ Head-Fier
I've always used my UE3s with the biflanges for the sake of isolation (plus I thought they looked cool)
Well I popped in regular silicone tips today and it sounds much bassier (well, harder hitting and less tinny)
Do all bi flanges do this or is it just me?

May 19, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #3 of 6
I use the bi-flange on my IE8s, yet the sound is pretty close using the singles. I have no comfort issues with the bi-flange.

May 19, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #4 of 6
Some bi-flange do this. This is why some people buy the ebay ones.

The ebay or small bi-flange are softer/squishier so they don't seal tightly and give less bass more treble while the UE are thicker/firmer so they give more bass. They can give less bass with shallower insertion or a canal shape that doesn't agree with them. I've had 6 pair of UE universals and always had a similar amount of bass for both types. The bi-flange are good for bringing mids forward a bit due to their length which is good for the 5 Pro and TF10.

Remember tinny and less impact are signs of a bad seal. They probably don't work for your ears.

May 20, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #6 of 6
Triflanges have always had less bass than shure foam olives for me. I always assumed that's because they have more contact with my inner ear, and are thus better able to pass on reverberations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back