Ultimate DIY: the 3.5mm 1/8" mini jack plug collection thread
Aug 14, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #393 of 485
Aug 14, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #396 of 485
quick question.  I dont have them yet, but I just ordered a pair of beyerdynamic custom one pro headphones, and I want to make a cable for them.  They have a detachable cable already, but it has a little notch in there to lock it in place.  I think I need a slim connector for it (unless I decide to sand off the little lock mechanism with my dremel - and I think eventually I will).  Any recommendations?  I know they're expensive, but I was thinking of the slim viablue 3.5mm connector because this is the most expensive set of cans I've owned and I want to do a special cable.

Here is an image of the headphones with the cable removed - you can see the locking mechanism in there.

http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/uploads/pics/Custom_One_Anschluss_1.jpg

any suggestions for a slim 3.5mm connector?

Aug 14, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #397 of 485
quick question.  I dont have them yet, but I just ordered a pair of beyerdynamic custom one pro headphones, and I want to make a cable for them.  They have a detachable cable already, but it has a little notch in there to lock it in place.  I think I need a slim connector for it (unless I decide to sand off the little lock mechanism with my dremel - and I think eventually I will).  Any recommendations?  I know they're expensive, but I was thinking of the slim viablue 3.5mm connector because this is the most expensive set of cans I've owned and I want to do a special cable.

Here is an image of the headphones with the cable removed - you can see the locking mechanism in there.

http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/uploads/pics/Custom_One_Anschluss_1.jpg

any suggestions for a slim 3.5mm connector?

The mini viablue connector seems to be the most appropriate for your application, to make sure it works though I'd measure the female plug diameter and make sure the connector is at or smaller than it.

Aug 14, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #399 of 485
yeah I think anything would work if I get rid of that bit of plastic.  I mean, they're coming in in a few days - but since they're BRAND NEW, I dont know if I really want to shave off part of them just yet.  I'll keep looking into it though.  Thanks!

Aug 18, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #403 of 485
Quote:
That connector is built like a tank, your earphones will go before this connector will.

The Switchcraft?  Oh yeah, it might even outlast the user in question. 
eek.gif

The Amphenol?  I bent one accidentally with mild force one time, it is about as fragile as a Neutrik mini.  Of course, both can probably last a very long time as long as the headphone is cared for well.
It's usually the scrawny stock cable on many headphones that goes before the Neutrik plug ever does, if the plug dies somehow at all.

I gave the Amphenol ACPS-GB-AU 1/4" TRS a go on my HD380, and dang, this thing rocks!  Its contacts seem sturdier than NP3X's and it gets a better fit in Neutrik's female jacks than the NP3X.  It has a three-fingered clamp with "teeth" to get a real good grip on cables inside.  The casing feels a bit less sturdy than NP3X's, though, unless you get the jumbo version, which looks a bit hilarious with its overly fat casing.  The jumbo more closely resembles the NP3X.  ACPS is cheaper than NP3X on partsexpress to boot, haha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back