Ultimate DIY: the 3.5mm 1/8" mini jack plug collection thread
Jul 9, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #331 of 485

Quote:
Neutrik NTP3RC?
Otherwise, you should make your own improvised plug if you want even smaller, I think.

Hasn't someone taken that Neutrik plug and omitted the long body part - I can see from the disassembled photos that you could just leave it off.  Obviously it's not going to stick together on its own - I presume if you heat shrink around it, it holds it all together.  I think that's what I saw from another DIY'er, anyway.  I'm definitely interested in making something like that.

Jul 9, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #332 of 485

Quote:
Hasn't someone taken that Neutrik plug and omitted the long body part - I can see from the disassembled photos that you could just leave it off.  Obviously it's not going to stick together on its own - I presume if you heat shrink around it, it holds it all together.  I think that's what I saw from another DIY'er, anyway.  I'm definitely interested in making something like that.

Here's one I did... obviously not the best photos...

you just jam the rubber piece onto the threads of the casing.  it fits very snugly.

before that though, I cut down the white "insulator protector thing" to the size necessary, then i use puddy epoxy and basically mold it around the entire area covering all the wires and connections and filling the inside of the connector.  You can choose to use the white insulator protector, or just put the two sides right over the epoxy.. either way works well.
the connector being filled with epoxy  provides excellent strain releaf, and prevents wires from crossing or shorting.    Then i super glue the two sides to the epoxy and push the rubber thingy on.. as long as you dont over fill the inside you should be able to get every thing flush and very very strongly held together.

Jul 9, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #333 of 485

Quote:

Here's one I did... obviously not the best photos...

[snip]

you just jam the rubber piece onto the threads of the casing.  it fits very snugly.

before that though, I cut down the white "insulator protector thing" to the size necessary, then i use puddy epoxy and basically mold it around the entire area covering all the wires and connections and filling the inside of the connector.  You can choose to use the white insulator protector, or just put the two sides right over the epoxy.. either way works well.
the connector being filled with epoxy  provides excellent strain releaf, and prevents wires from crossing or shorting.    Then i super glue the two sides to the epoxy and push the rubber thingy on.. as long as you dont over fill the inside you should be able to get every thing flush and very very strongly held together.

Great explanation - I didn't even notice the plastic section before.  I've seen some that omit the rubber piece too - but fatigue failure might be a problem if you don't do it right.

Jul 10, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #334 of 485
hey guys, im looking for a plug for my m50 removeable cord mod, and i found one (very cheap) off ebay, but im a bit worried about the quality, also theres no brand name,
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-8-3-5-mm-STEREO-Male-Plug-Metal-Audio-Connector-/270650247254?pt=AU_Electronics_Accessories_Wires_Cables&hash=item3f04030856
im a first time solderer so i was hoping the holes would help me with soldering.
i also like the stress relief(?)

so if anyone can at least identify this plug, ill go ahead and buy it if its not crap
cheers

Jul 10, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #335 of 485
for that price you can probably do better.  

probably best best is to check:
www.markertek.com
www.parts-express.com

look for neutrik, rean, or... well that outta get you started anyway

Jul 11, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #336 of 485
It probably doesn't belong in this topic but I have a quick and easy question regarding soldering a new mini jack to a cable, since I just bought a Neutrik NYS231BG for my old ES7.

The cable of the ES7 is really thin. Will soldering and using some heatshrink make the connection strong enough to withstand an accidental shock or pull? It looks so fragile.

Jul 11, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #337 of 485

Quote:
It probably doesn't belong in this topic but I have a quick and easy question regarding soldering a new mini jack to a cable, since I just bought a Neutrik NYS231BG for my old ES7.

The cable of the ES7 is really thin. Will soldering and using some heatshrink make the connection strong enough to withstand an accidental shock or pull? It looks so fragile.

That's what the strain relief clamp is for.  =]

Aug 29, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #340 of 485
Aug 29, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #342 of 485
I am looking for a 4 contacts female 3.5mm plug
Didnt find any so far (that aren't for a board)
I want to make a sony<->iphone headset adapter
both use a 4 connector 3.5mm plug
BUT the first 2 connections are reversed (ground/mic)

Aug 29, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #343 of 485
Good luck, sir!
I had seem some TRRS cable-mount female connectors on Digikey and Mouser, but its seems that they no longer carry any.
If you cannot find any anywhere, buy a chinese TRRS adapter cable and modify it.

Anyone tried this Switchcraft mini jack yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back