Ultimate Audiophile PC Setup!!!
Aug 29, 2006 at 2:34 AM Post #16 of 35
Bones13,

what a shame,i have not heard lavry yet but i used to owned apogee mini dac with usb option(which cost as much as lavry),in my super t/k1000 setup,The brick standard version sound better than apogee,clarity is apogee's strength but brick is even clearer and has more natural/better defined imaging.their vocal presentation is very different too.

try to get one on audiogon,used one normally go ard $1200-$1300.

Sep 1, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomaspf
since money is of no concern I would also recommend Jriver media center as the player.

Support for ape,flac,wma, aac and the most flexible UI if you plan to get a larger mdia library.

Cheers

Thomas

Does the J river media player allow you to rip music at extra high quality and stuff? or does it just rip like any other media player (i.e. windows media etc.)

Sep 1, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #19 of 35
There's no such thing as "extra high quality" ripping.

IIRC there should be some database of CDs where you can check CRCs of your rips against CRCs of the rips of others to verify that you got everything off the disc perfectly, but I don't remember one at the moment.

Sep 1, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #20 of 35
Oh, I see.

I was only asking that because I was looking into the Sound Blaster X-Fi which "uses the X-Fi 24-bit Crystalizer and X-Fi CMSS-3D features to "SuperRip" CD's to Xtreme Fidelity quality." (taken directly from website)

So I was wondering if there was any way to get "superRip" for cheaper...

Sep 1, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #22 of 35
Cool thanks!

The one thing that gonna be anoying but fun is that I'm gonna have to re-rip all my music again...I have over a hundred CDs. But if it means getting better audio then it is well worth the effort!

Sep 1, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starsky5000
I am looking for the Ultimate Audiophile PC Setup!!!

One more thing...can suggest a desktop pc or laptop that would be suited for an audiophile.

Also I am willing to spend the money to get the best out there...since I don't want to buy something sub-par and regret my decision later on.

Thank You All.

I can recommend a custom PC builder from first hand experience. His product and service exceeded my expectations.

http://www.hyperfishsystems.com/

If interested, I strongly recommend that you email this vendor for a quote on a custom system. Describe your needs and what you intend to use it for and I am certain he will exceed your expectations too.

No affiliation. Just a VERY satisfied customer

Sep 1, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by polvodediamante
Does the J river media player allow you to rip music at extra high quality and stuff? or does it just rip like any other media player (i.e. windows media etc.)

Well if you are interested to know, J River Media Center do provide for a secure rip which base on test (I can't find the link now..... ) are as good as EACs.

And if you really want, J River allows you to rip to APE (lossless) which probably is super enough. =)

And yes, I do use J River for all my playback and ripping and can't find any fault with it yet.

Cheers

Sep 1, 2006 at 2:08 PM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by polvodediamante
Cool thanks!

The one thing that gonna be anoying but fun is that I'm gonna have to re-rip all my music again...I have over a hundred CDs. But if it means getting better audio then it is well worth the effort!

Just re-rip if you notice glitches. No glitches then (almost certainly) no errors. (Unless anyone here knows of software that interpolates when it thinks there are errors.)

Sep 23, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #26 of 35
I am willing to spend $5,000. Can I get anything near to what I am asking for...detailed sound?

Thanx.

Sep 24, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #27 of 35
My vote is the following:
bel canto Dac-3 usb 2500
Singlepower PPX slam-1000
Senn HD650- 300
Equinox senn cable- 250
Chimera Labs ICs- 250
the rest on some computer that has usb 2 and a big hard drive. i like laptops since they have small-quiet hard drives.

Sep 25, 2006 at 5:52 AM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

IIRC there should be some database of CDs where you can check CRCs of your rips against CRCs of the rips of others to verify that you got everything off the disc perfectly, but I don't remember one at the moment.

AccurateRip. Available as a plugin for EAC, works like a charm for my discs, handy to have the info.

Sep 27, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkJC
AccurateRip. Available as a plugin for EAC, works like a charm for my discs, handy to have the info.

Do you compare wav or flac in the database?

Sep 28, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starsky5000
I am willing to spend $5,000. Can I get anything near to what I am asking for...detailed sound?

Thanx.

You can get an excellent complete setup for this money. I would distribute it rougly as follows:
Speakers $1600
Room treatments $500? (don't really know how much these cost)
Pre/power amp $700 (buy a hypex from a DIYer?) (but can do well for much less)
Headphones:$1000 (get a few pairs for variety!)
Amp: $300? (Maybe overkill)
Sound card/DAC: $300
Cables $50
PC $550 (modern budget PC with plextor, needs to be specially chosen for quietness)
Total $5000

Amounts will depend on final decision. First decide what sort of computer you want and where you are going to put it (very important for noise) and where you are going to use it (ideally a different place with cables in between). The it will be clear what sort of sound card you need. No one can tell you just like that what speakers to get or what headphones, and if any one does don't believe him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back