Ultimate $50 Setup...No Joke!
Jul 14, 2005 at 2:47 PM Post #31 of 68
Optical out was also the impetus for my TBAAM purchase. I really wanted to compare using a toslink cable against the USB to my Overture. In my case the USB was actually better. I even bought a high quality toslink cable (Van Den Hul Optocoupler Mk. II) which was pitted against a stock USB cable that came with a Sony camera. This should probably only deepen my perceived Team Budget-Fi status...heck I'm going to try coat hangers for ICs with tin-foil for shielding...I'm going Team Ghetto-Fi! It's really great though that the TBAAM came with a nice quality mini adapter for the toslink connector.

Good suggestion on the USB extension. I'll have to check the packaging to see if it's in there. I did notice that my headphone cable would sometimes make the TBAAM shift around, which I'm sure is not good long term for the USB port.

Jul 14, 2005 at 3:50 PM Post #32 of 68
My HD201's will arrive tomorrow according to FedEx. Can't wait.
icon10.gif

Jul 15, 2005 at 12:08 PM Post #35 of 68
The Turtle Beach AAM USB card is a very good sounding card and a tremendous bargain at $30. I use it on a Mac, so all the DSP software features are useless to me, but I'm not a big fan of that stuff anyway. I simply wanted a card that improved upon my SB USB card and the TB delivered that.

The ad copy on the box promises "crystal clear" sound and I have to say that's pretty accurate. Particularly, the highs are very pleasant without being tinny or thin. The card also houses an amp which is controlled via the computer's software driver. Its fairly clean and, connected to an external amp as I use it, it essentially functions as a preamp. Though I don't have a need at the moment for an S/PDIF input, its a nice addition to the card and potentially adds further value.

The TB card is for output only - there is no mic input. Since I needed a mic input and since I was so impressed with this style of card, I decided to buy one of the other inexpensive dongle type cards. I bought a generic USB Sound adapter on eBay for about half the cost of the TB. This one does have a mic input but no S/PDIF. Sonically, its on par with the TB although, just going on my memory and impressions, I would give the edge to the TB card in sound quality. The mic input adds some value to the generic card and though I have only briefly tested it, it seems functional. It does not supply plug in power as some higher end inputs do, but a mic battery box solves that problem. Given that its only a $12 card, I can't complain about it. It too gets the job done.

I believe both cards use chip sets from C-Media, though different one in each. The TB card has an overall better build quality as the generic card feels plasticy and toy-like. Nevertheless, for computer sourced audio, these cards are ideal for the application and their small size makes them a no-brainer for use with a laptop in a portable system.

Jul 15, 2005 at 2:16 PM Post #36 of 68
This is the future of the audiophile habit, finding combinations of cheaper electronic components that sing far beyond their price.

Has anyone tried the HD 202's with the Turtle Beach? Which sounds better with this combo, and what about overall?

Jul 18, 2005 at 4:30 PM Post #38 of 68
When I got home last Friday my HD201s were waiting for me. I quickly opened the box and connected it to the TBAAM. On first impression, it sounded really good. Bass, mids, highs, all there. But, it's nothing spectacular. Then I connected my PortaPros to the TBAAM to compare. The PP2s seem to have a more...airy sound. (is that the right word?) The HD201s in comparison sounds a tiny bit muffled. Perhaps this is what closed phones sound like? I'm going to let the HD201's burn in for a few days before comparing again. I will also use a little pocket amp to see if that makes any difference.

Oh, and another thing I noticed is that these HD201s are very comfortable. I had them on almost all day on Sunday and felt no discomfort at all. They fit me just right.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2005 at 9:17 AM Post #39 of 68
I don't have HD201, but I do have AV710-amp-SR60 and TBAA. Initially I had been using TBAA and matched with my only headphone laying around which was the one that came with my Nomad IIC mp3 player. I assumed TBAA was not of high quality...

Today after reading this thread I tried with my SR60 without the amp, and sounds excellent, most immediate difference is good extended base with overall full sound. This is indeed near the budget ultimate sound if u match it with SR60 (no need for amp). I have to be fair and say AV710-amp-SR60 may be slightly better but the sound for the price can't be beat.

gychang

Jul 19, 2005 at 9:19 AM Post #40 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by dviswa
Hi Folks,

How does the TBAAM compare against the typical AC97 integrated sound output in a laptop? I guess most laptop sound is comparable, since it is all the same el-cheapo stuff. Compared to my Chaintech AV710, my laptop really sounds wimpy, lacks extension on both ends. Wondering if the money will be well spent.

I have the exact setup and I can give u my opinion on TABB-SR60 vs AV710-amp-SR6. The sound is very close and excellent for the price. U can save some $ if u go with TABB-SR60.

gychang

Jul 20, 2005 at 1:48 AM Post #44 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Nothin' wrong with dongle, dude.

Teerawit just kicked my dictionary lovespuds.

PEACE,

Matt

lol, the definition I posted was the only definition of "dongle" that I was familiar with. I didn't know it primarily referred to a security device!

Jul 20, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #45 of 68
Is anyone using TBAAM with Foobar2000 in Kernel Streaming mode? I can't seem to get it to work unless I resample it to 48 kHz. Am using Windows's built-in USB audio driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back