UK/US power adaptor
May 31, 2004 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

nkd

100+ Head-Fier
I've bought some audio equipment from the US, and it wasn't until i'd paid that it occured to me that you people are on 110V not 240
biggrin.gif

Any recommendations on a mains voltage convertor thats affordable?

May 31, 2004 at 9:16 AM Post #2 of 4
Hi,

If the equipment has plug in the wall adaptors, i.e.for a DAP then most of these will run off 240 volts. It will say so on the adaptor. You can get a travel plug adaptor/convertor. Maplins is the best bet for all sorts of convertors. If it is a high end amp for example, then you're in trouble. Depends on the transformers etc. However, check the units when they arrive, some are internaly switchable.
John

May 31, 2004 at 9:51 AM Post #3 of 4
Your equipment might have a voltage selector switch. If it does not, one simple solution would be to get a stepdown transformer.

If you want a transformerless solution, you can try this, but im not sure if this will work in the UK as you guys use 50hz. The US and Phils both use 60hz. I did this to some of my outlets. (we have 230v here and my audio equipment is 110v). This requires professional work though...

hse.gif

Nov 11, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #4 of 4
Wow this is an old thread.

So if i buy a HIFIMAN Amp (the EF100 for example) in the US i need a transformer. Am I better off buying the UK model then when im back in Ireland?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back