UK sources for HD650 Replacement Cables AND your Buying Direct experiences
Mar 12, 2006 at 3:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mcygn

New Head-Fier
I know that stone audio in the UK stocks Stefan AudioArt Equinox (stock not expected for another 10wks), and that musicology is a ZU distributor, but wow, such the price mark up. £189 for an Equinox (sure vat is 17.5% but c'mon). At close to 2 to 1 exchange, that's rich.

I have not been able to find a dealer that does Cardas, or Grace or...

So, what would may be cool is to assemble a list of UK distributors,
AND / OR
if you've ordered direct, after all was said and done, what was your experience in terms of bringing a cable into the UK from the US?
Did you get dinged for extra duty?
any trouble with clearing customs?
Pros and cons over all?

thanks for your time
mcygn

Mar 12, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #2 of 5
Hey

Import charges (if you get stung) should be worked out as shown:

Item cost + Postage = Total Value
Total Value x Customs Duty Rate (3.2% for cables I think) = Customs Duty
(Total Value + Customs Duty) x 17.5% = VAT

So, the tax is calculated on the cost of the item plus the shipping (postage) costs. The Customs Duty rate is variable depending on what you buy, but the VAT is always 17.5%.

(this was bastardized from someone else, but shows what you could get done for very well)

So lets take a Equinox from Stefans (10ft, 1/4 termination) page $239 + $30 postage?? = £155.84
£155.84 x 3.2% = £160.83
£160.83 x 17.5% = £188.97

But you may also get a handling fee slapped on, , lets round it up to £200 for arguement sake, to me £170 sounds cheap. You could get a Cardas from Headroom for around the £140 mark I guess and if you got it shipped via USPS you may not get stung by customs. Let us know how you get on, but as with most things you could pay as much or as little as you want.

Rob

Mar 12, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #3 of 5
Mar 13, 2006 at 9:48 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by roblo
Hey

Import charges (if you get stung) should be worked out as shown:

Item cost + Postage = Total Value
Total Value x Customs Duty Rate (3.2% for cables I think) = Customs Duty
(Total Value + Customs Duty) x 17.5% = VAT

So, the tax is calculated on the cost of the item plus the shipping (postage) costs. The Customs Duty rate is variable depending on what you buy, but the VAT is always 17.5%.

(this was bastardized from someone else, but shows what you could get done for very well)

So lets take a Equinox from Stefans (10ft, 1/4 termination) page $239 + $30 postage?? = £155.84
£155.84 x 3.2% = £160.83
£160.83 x 17.5% = £188.97

But you may also get a handling fee slapped on, , lets round it up to £200 for arguement sake, to me £170 sounds cheap. You could get a Cardas from Headroom for around the £140 mark I guess and if you got it shipped via USPS you may not get stung by customs. Let us know how you get on, but as with most things you could pay as much or as little as you want.

Rob

thanks. I don't think, however that duty can be charged on postage, nor vat on postage either, since the duty/tax is only calcultated based on the "declared value" and description of goods as written up on the custom form attached to the package.

To get the complete total, it would be
Cost of item at exchange rate
+ (3.3% of Item (duty on wire))
+ (17.5% of item)
+ shipping at exchange rate

See http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...HMCE_CL_001454
and
http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...yType=document

best,
mcygn

Mar 13, 2006 at 12:32 PM Post #5 of 5
Yes, its nothing to do with the postage. How on earth would customs know how much postage you paid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back