Uk source for resistors and caps
Mar 12, 2010 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

chum_2000_uk

100+ Head-Fier
Forgive me if this has been asked many times before, but where do you guys in the UK buy components like resistors and caps from?

I'm just getting into DIY, and will shortly be building a Jaycar amp. I built a cmoy a few weeks back and got all the resistors and caps from RS. I went for the Vishay MRS25 1% 0.6W caps I believe. Was this an ok choice? What are you guys using and from where?

Any UK based recommendations and pointers would be much appreciated!

Thanks guys

Mar 13, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #2 of 11
hey another fellow uk headfier
biggrin.gif

Yeah this went the same for me. I started out with rs, and now I'm building an M3 + S11.
You can have a look at farnwell and rapid, though none of my part is from there
For some unknown reason that I dont know (that's why it's unknown), no UK based distributor have caps and resistors and stuffs for my current project so I had to try my luck mostly at mouser. They have stock for nearly everything, I just had to order the transformer and 1 cap from rs as mouser is out of stock.
And one great thing is, nearly everything in mouser is cheaper than in rs. Plus if you order above 50 pounds there'll be no shipping charge. Their warehouse is in the US but they say it'll only take 1-3 days for international shipping (dispatched on the same day), which is nearly the same as ordering something within UK.
Digikey is a bit more costly and their site looks ugly so I just use them for reference.
One last note: both digikey and mouser also have their price in sterling so you wouldnt have to mind about the exchange rate
biggrin.gif

Hope this helps

Mar 13, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by tranhieu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey another fellow uk headfier
biggrin.gif

Yeah this went the same for me. I started out with rs, and now I'm building an M3 + S11.

Hi! Thanks for the swift reply and good luck with your M3 and S11 - it may be a project that I have a go at in the near future, indeed if it wasn't for the kindness of a fellow head-fier - Sennsay, who is sending me a Jaycar kit from NZ I would be ordering the M3 and S11 right now :-D

Quote:

You can have a look at farnwell and rapid, though none of my part is from there

Do you have to have a trade account with either of those companies? I had a look on Farnell when I was ordering for the cmoy build and it seemed as though you had to be in the trade? I could be wrong about this though?

Quote:

no UK based distributor have caps and resistors and stuffs for my current project so I had to try my luck mostly at mouser. They have stock for nearly everything, I just had to order the transformer and 1 cap from rs as mouser is out of stock.
And one great thing is, nearly everything in mouser is cheaper than in rs. Plus if you order above 50 pounds there'll be no shipping charge. Their warehouse is in the US but they say it'll only take 1-3 days for international shipping (dispatched on the same day), which is nearly the same as ordering something within UK.

Thats spot on info, cheers. I will have a good look on mouser. Which resistors are you going to use for the M3 and S11 build?

Cheers!

Mar 13, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #4 of 11
I use farnell for my parts. I recently completed a CKKIII with all parts other than the amb shop from there. You don't need a trade account although you do need a credit card as they don't accept switch. I don't know whether they've changed their policy recently but they used to have free delivery over £20 and they use UPS which arrives the following day.

Mar 13, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus_C /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use farnell for my parts. I recently completed a CKKIII with all parts other than the amb shop from there. You don't need a trade account although you do need a credit card as they don't accept switch. I don't know whether they've changed their policy recently but they used to have free delivery over £20 and they use UPS which arrives the following day.

Again, great info thanks! What make and series of resistors did you use?

Mar 13, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus_C /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If i'm honest, i've no idea. I just searched around until i found most of the values i needed in one range. They are probably multicomp or vishay though. There is a bit of a knack to searching farnell.

Spot on, cheers!

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by chum_2000_uk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have to have a trade account with either of those companies? I had a look on Farnell when I was ordering for the cmoy build and it seemed as though you had to be in the trade? I could be wrong about this though?

oh I have no idea about this since I couldnt find the parts I want in Farnwell site, I didnt bother exploring it further...

Quote:

Originally Posted by chum_2000_uk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which resistors are you going to use for the M3 and S11 build?

Most of them are vishay, there're also 1 or 2 brands that I hardly heard of as mouser is out of stock of the vishay ones.

BTW anyone here has experiences with the VAT thingy? From this: FedEx - Incoterms: DDP (Duty and customs fees paid by Mouser). I understand that all the extra charges (VAT, custoom, handling...) are paid by mouser themselves. However in their Help page they also state that all the VAT charges are paid by buyers at the time of delivery, which confuses me (?)

Mar 16, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #9 of 11
just to chip in, I use Rapid and Farnells, both are excellent (but Rapid's website is a bit buggy), Farnells stock much more stuff including higher quality caps etc.
I do go for maplins sometimes, I used them to get the pot for my SSMH because they sell the same pot as used in the BOM

Mar 16, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #11 of 11
RS
Rapid
Farnell
CPC
Cricklewood Electronics
Maplin
Hi-Fi Collective (expensive but decent parts, good service)
Bluebell Audio (mainly guitar amp parts, but also import Hammond transformers)
Ampmaker.com (mainly guitar amp parts, handy for 'bits and bobs', good service)
Mouser (USA)
Digi-Key (USA)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back