UK Only: Get your Chaintech AV-710 here!
Feb 16, 2008 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

BrightSpark

New Head-Fier
UK Only: Get your Chaintech AV-710 here!

The world of sound cards moves on,but some UK readers might still like to get their hands on a Chaintech AV-710 or at least an equivalent. That's what Maplin are selling for £19.99 and show only 38 are left in stock. See here:

Maplin > 8 Channel PCI Sound Card

I should say I have absolutely no affiliation with Maplin.

When I belatedly discovered the existence of EnvyHT-S based cards with the Wolfson DAC, I wanted one. But after searching high and low with no result, I was lucky enough to come across a s/hand card on Ebay. Now I know you can get this card from Maplin.

It is functionally and electronically equivalent to a Chaintech AV-710, it is even automatically recognised as such in recent Linux distros. Maplin sell it as a “white box” item and I believe it is the same card as once marketed as the “Typhoon Acoustic 8”. See here:

Typhoon TYPHOON ACOUSTIC 8 PCI Edition

High res image here:

Typhoon - Multimedia for living

The original source of these sound card might be “HITPOINT INC”, see here:

Product HV-7.1ch

Hitpoint refer to the card as “HV-7.1ch”, Maplin call the card “HVIA-7.1ch”.

Maplin's cards are brand new, but not necessarily newly manufactured.

The main chips are: Eny24HT-S, VT1616, WM8728, CS8415A. So unlike a Chaintech card, this one has both S/PDIF input and output.

The card installs fine in Win XP SP2 and is recognised by all the versions of the VIA drivers I have tried. I'm currently using version 3.10a. This appears to allow you to route output via the Wolfson DAC (“ALT OUT” jack ) without having to resample to 96000kHz. This is hard to verify, but when setting up the latest version of Foobar2000 with KS I get no error when listening to a 44100kHz file without using the resampling plugin. This is NOT the case if I use newer VIA drivers, then I can only use KS if I also resample to 96000kHz.

It works well in Linux as the ALSA sound module, ice1724, has now matured. But to get output via the Wolfson DAC you need a custom “asound.state” file.

This one works with version 1.0.15 of ASLA:

http://www.horrorseek.com/halloween/...nux/asound.zip

Those who know ALSA well, which is not me, can exercise fine control over the card with a custom “asoundrc” files. Examples can be found on the web.

To my ageing ears the card sound better in Linux than Windows. Currently the sound card is connected to my venerable Rotel RA-820BX3 amp and I'm listening to mostly classical music on my ancient Sony MDR-V7 (slightly higher spec than Sony MDR-V6) headphones.

Audio nirvana it may not be, but the end result is so much better than the pathetic MCP55 HDA on-board sound. If the Wolfson DAC is that good, just how good would an external DAC sound?

Perhaps a Beresford TC-7510 is the next step.

I should say that until I stumbled upon the Head-fi website about two weeks ago, I was totally ignorant of all this stuff. So I owe all contributors a big thank you for opening both my eyes and ears.

PS I needed a decent interconnect from the amp to the sound card. I took Jan Meier's website recommendation and got a UK made TECH+LINK mini jack to two phono lead. I found a good price for a 3m cable at Amazon UK, seems to be about half the price of other retailers.

I hope this info is useful to others.

Feb 16, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 9
I know of a card you may like called a Tokyo Style S010.
It has digital I/O and fully replaceable opamps for analog sound. I have never heard or actually used one but they are said to be quite decent. The card is also one of the first PCI-E cards available. Here is a pic of one in this thread.
TS SO10 LINK

Feb 17, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #3 of 9
I am new (be kind) to this forum and desperate to get hold of a Chaintech AV-710 (or equivalent) to do my NAD 3010i (circa 1991 amp) some justice.

I am only interested in two channel stereo, with this 7.1 card what would be the best way to do this?

The information you provide regarding the chipset, was it taken from the card itself?

Great spot by the way!

Feb 17, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by JesterP64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am only interested in two channel stereo, with this 7.1 card what would be the best way to do this?

Assuming it's equivalent to the AV-710, here's a setup thread for ideal analog output.

Feb 18, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #5 of 9
JesterP64,

The chipset data was taken straight off the "Maplin HVIA-7.1Ch" sound card.

Just follow the set up guide to route your sound via the sound card's Wolfson DAC and connect to the "alt out" jack. Connect your sound card to your NAD amp (probably with a 3.5 min jack to 2RCA/phono lead) line-in and you should get good results.

A pci scan in Linux shows an oddity about these sound cards.

01:0a.0 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies Inc. VT1720/24 [Envy24PT/HT] PCI Multi-Channel Audio Controller (rev 01)
Subsystem: VIA Technologies Inc. Albatron PX865PE 7.1
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 18
I/O ports at b800
I/O ports at b400
Capabilities: [80] Power Management version 1

As fas as I know Albatron never made sound cards, but they did produce a PX865 m/board with Envy24 based on-board sound.

Whoever made these sound cards may simply have used Envy24 ICs that had
the Albatron name encoded in them.

Feb 19, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #7 of 9
Direct link to the high-res maplin image here:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/Full/a46cc.jpg
Appears identical to the typhoon as you said, and comparing it to a high res pic of an AV-710 shows the components are quite similar.

I hope you're right about these cards, as I'm about to order two, to get taken to New Zealand by a friend in the UK.

We cant get (and have never been able to) the AV-710s here in NZ without paying through the roof for international shipping, and now they're rare as hens teeth overseas too by the looks of it, so this seems like a good oppertunity. Cheers for the heads up, though I wish I'd known last October when I was in the UK myself.

Feb 20, 2008 at 12:25 PM Post #8 of 9
Hydron,

I hadn't found that link to the hi-res image of the s/card. All the important ICs are clearly visible. On this card's layout the Wolfson DAC (markings not descernable in pic) is below the VIA VT1616 and almost in line with the last of the six audio jacks.

Feb 20, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #9 of 9
Well I've just ordered two myself. I must say it was a HUGE saga ordering the damn things from Maplin, despite getting them delivered to a standard UK address.

Turns out that paying online with a credit card only works from select countries, not including New Zealand. Then when I ring them up they dont accept Mastercard from NZ, but dont tell me untill I've rung TWICE and had their software complain about the number. Finally after about half an hour of long distance calling I order using my father's visa, only to find that they'll be sending a letter to the billing address here with an order confirmation I need to call them with and quote to release the shipment.

So much for modern painless online payment with credit cards. By the time I'm done it will have cost me the equivalent of 5 quid just to place the damn order. I guess the reward is quality audio though, which is worth it.

/rant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back