UK Meet: Manchester 2009 Impressions
Nov 14, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #76 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedalhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you mean this one? If so, it's just a powered dock, nothing clever. My ipod touch was running an application called "ipeng" to control the Squeezebox.

Mark, does this work with a normal ipod?
I really want the Wadia doc as it bypasses the ipods internal dac rather than just using a line out. Expensive though!

Nov 14, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #77 of 103
Quote:

Do you mean this one? If so, it's just a powered dock, nothing clever. My ipod touch was running an application called "ipeng" to control the Squeezebox.

Ah thanks

I know it is like the third time you have explained it to me
tongue.gif

I am getting withdrawal symptoms from not being able to listen to the WA22, B22 and Stax set-ups
redface.gif

I am tempted though to buy a Apogee Duet for straight headphone out based purely on my Meet impressions. Can always buy a dedicated headphone amp in the future

Nov 14, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #78 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by fault151 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mark, does this work with a normal ipod?
I really want the Wadia doc as it bypasses the ipods internal dac rather than just using a line out. Expensive though!

Yup, it'll work with just about any ipod I think. That Wadia is very nice, but yes it's not cheap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah thanks

I know it is like the third time you have explained it to me
tongue.gif

Hey no worries mate
wink.gif

Nov 15, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #79 of 103
Well it's been a busy week so I've only just got round to writing up my impressions. I'd like to echo everyone's sentiments and thank those who took the time and effort to organise the event. It's much appreciated and hopefully we have the momentum to repeat it next year.

To start at the end, unfortunately I did make it back in time for X Factor, despite the efforts of the idiot trying to replace the passenger door with his front wing. I'd also like to not thank idiot number 2, who could see the M6 lanes were populated but nevertheless decided to undertake at the end of the slip road, nearly taking my front wing with him. You're supposed to give way to the traffic already there you moron!

Back to the meet, then.

I went mostly with the following aims:
a) listen to headphones on my want to hear list;
b) compare sub-£300 DACs;
c) compare DACs and CD players;
d) hear a tube amp;
e) demonstrate anything of interest in my Compass-Moon setup (USB, coax, amp-only).

Almost everything constitutes initial impressions. I never did get to compare CD players.

Headphones

AKG K701

Firstly, I finally got to hear the AKG K701. I was really surprised. I was expecting them to sound light, treble-orientated, a bit thin. This just wasn't the case (on Compass-Moon). Using a scale of HD600 to DT931, I expected them to be close to DT931, whereas they were much closer to HD600. My first reaction was, nice overall balance. I wasn't thinking, 'where's the bass?' However, I can understand the comments that are made, illustrated by three tracks:

1) I'm Ready, Jools Holland and Steve Winwood. This opens with a fast piano scale. It was fine.
2) Another One Bites The Dust, Queen. The opening sequence has the extension but not the impact.
3) Spider's Web, Katie Melua. Not the most fluid I've heard, I understand the 'dry' comments.

Overall, in direct comparison to the HD600, the HD600 are more full and fluid. I can see that they'd be complementary headphones.

HD800
bigsmile_face.gif

This was Pedalhead's setup. I used the Little Dot transport into (I think) the Woo Audio 22. I listened to snippets of maybe 5 different genres. What struck me most was that everything I listened to had its own sound, if that doesn't sound too stupid. To steal a cliche, I've never heard the equipment just get out of the way like that before. These headphones are remarkable for being unremarkable. I'm unable to ascribe how much is due to the headphones themselves and how much to the rest of the equipment.

Mark did ask for my views on the bass. For me, the fact that it hadn't caught my attention suggested there wasn't much wrong. As a comparison, not soon after I listened to some HD650, and, just too much for me.

Duggeh's Stax

I've been keen to hear electrostatics for a while now. The reduced impact is noticeable but not necessarily troublesome because the rest of the SQ and detail grabbed my attention. They're clearly in another league, just as the HD800 are. For me, I think in the long term I'd prefer the HD800 but, the bad news is, I think they're complementary headphones. What the Stax do well, they do very well and offer a different presentation, which may suit mood or genre. At one point I connected my portable CD player to the system and was still impressed with the SQ/clarity and details. This now makes me wonder just how important the source is. More on that later.

SoundMagic earphones

Shaun and Kristina of HiFi Headphones brought along a fair bit of kit and provided the opportunity that everyone really wants: to be able to spend a decent amount of time making a direct comparison with gear they know. Personally, I don't favour earphones but I'd just bought some for my mum so thought we may as well do a comparison. For value, the PL11 were impressive. I thought the Goldring GX200 sounded pretty good but the SoundMagic were clearer. Unfortunately I just couldn't get a stable fit with them. Same applied to the PL30. I can't really comment on the SQ because, despite the myriad of tips, the over-ear fit just didn't work for me.

DACs

I was hoping there would be another Audio-gd Compass at the meet, so I just fixed in the Moon HDAM and brought that. There wasn't an Earth present, so although my comparisons are direct, the impressions are sort of 'once removed', as I'm more familiar with the Earth. Unless noted, I didn't find a great deal of differences between the DACs, so the impressions are short. However, note that there wasn't volume matching or particularly long listening periods, as there was a lot to get through.

Beresford 7510

First up was the modded Beresford 7510. I listened to this 'standalone' as it were, and just compared it on it's own and with the Graham Slee headphone amp (SRG-II). A clear improvement with Graham Slee, using HD650. The impression I got was that the amp in the Beresford isn't that strong but it may just be that the Graham Slee is much stronger. Either way, the Beresford amp doesn't drive the HD650 to their potential.

Gamma 1

Next up, the gamma 1. I compared this directly against the Compass, both running through USB. Despite being very slightly darker, I still felt the Compass was a bit clearer. They are still close in SQ overall with the gamma 1 maybe having a stronger lower bass. My conclusion is that the gamma 1 is not as neutral as the Compass w/ Earth. I am undecided as to whether the bass is too much in the gamma 1.

Cambridge Audio DACMagic

One of the biggie's for me as far as comparisons with the Compass go. I used HD600 for the comparison. The Compass was run out of USB and optical and I didn't notice a difference.

I have previously heard a DACMagic but I must have caught Richer Sounds on a bad day as they wouldn't let me connect a laptop and didn't have headphones or even a spare adapter I could try. So my impressions from a speaker system with which I was totally unfamiliar were that the DACMagic is clean and polite.

In direct comparison with the Compass, I found it no cleaner or significantly better. If anything, it was slightly muddier at the low end. This was listening to the piano sections of Alicia Keys.

The only reason I would buy the DACMagic now is for balanced outputs.

Beresford 7520

Next up was the Beresford 7520. I didn't spend too much time with it, I was just curious as to how it compared with the Compass as they are very close in features and price. I wouldn't say it bested the Compass.

iBasso D2 & D4

I hadn't anticipated listening to the iBasso DACs but HiFi Headphones had them there and I was interested to hear what such a small form factor could do. Ultimately I am still sceptical that 5V can drive full size headphones.

To summarise the line up: D2 is USB-only; D4 is USB-only with a newer DAC; D10 is USB/coax/optical but has the older DAC. I compared the D2 and the D4, although I'd really want a D10 with the upgraded DAC if I were to buy one.

The newer DAC is better, though it is close. I felt the D4 had a bigger soundstage and better attack.

As for the D4 vs the Compass, initially I thought the D4 was a bit V-shaped, with both the treble and bass prominent. Then I thought, the Compass has the Moon in it, so it's a bit rolled-off, is the iBasso treble okay and only the bass emphasised? Throw in the PX100 I was using (not hugely clear, bit dark themselves) and I'm not sure what I think now!

I did some specific listening: bass and cymbals at the start of Witchy Woman (The Eagles) and the strings about 6 minutes in to Fingal's Cave/Hebrides' Overture (Mendelssohn). I started to wonder whether there is some impressive clarity to the iBasso and whether its treble is in fact accurate. However, I think the Compass has stronger deep bass.

This one's left open for me; it requires more listening with better headphones. I also failed to put the iBasso DACs through the Compass amp (not sure that's possible).

DACs Clarity

Finally on DACs I listened to the DACS Clarity. I'm afraid I wasn't in comparison mode here. I just enjoyed a couple of tracks with the HD800 and the PX100 (probably the widest spread, excluding earphones, there!).

Lessons Learnt

None of the DACs I went for stood out as being significantly different from each other. With more time and volume matching, maybe I'd reach a different conclusion.

Maybe it's due to the noisier listening environment, or maybe short A/B comparisons don't tell the whole story.

It's interesting as the Compass-Earth is noticeably different to the Moon, which suggests most of the DACs are on the warm side. I'm also starting to wonder whether the main improvements are mostly spatial and show up better with speakers. The HD600 are good 'phones but they're not pulling out the differences. Combine this with the clarity achieved by the Stax even with my portable CD player and I'm beginning to believe that the amplifier is more important than the DAC.

Given the similarity of the DACs, I have to give praise to the Compass for its value. I believe it has a good amplifier and the i/o versatility puts it ahead of the competition. Knowing that, next time I'd spend more time with the higher-end gear.

I've confirmed the HD650 are a bit too dark for my taste (at least out of anything other than high-end amps).

I'm glad I listened to a tube amp and should have listened to more but at the moment I'm happy with solid state. The Compass-Moon gives me that taste of warmth and smoothness when I want it, for now.

What I'd Like To See

As a newbie, while it's great to listen to other equipment, I'm not always sure what I should be listening out for. Additionally, I'm sure most people go along with the aim of comparing gear. I think it would be good to group the comparisons people would like and set them up at various times of the day. That way we'd get more shootouts and pooling of impressions on the same equipment.

Questions

There are a few things I didn't get the time/opportunity to compare. Any thoughts on these would be appreciated.
a) balanced HD600 vs single-ended.
b) DAC vs CDP.
c) V-DAC vs DACMagic / general V-DAC impressions.
d) Benchmark DAC1. I listened to this briefly with a very different setup.
Nothing stood out for me that I hadn't heard before but everything was different. Did anyone listen more extensively and can offer an opinion against any of the DACs I had been listening to?

I'd also be interested if anyone came away with different impressions/conclusions.

Thanks

Last but not least, thanks to everyone for turning out, making it a fun and friendly atmosphere and letting me listen to all your great gear. Looking forward to doing it again!

Nov 15, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #80 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
High points:
  1. HD800 out of B22
  2. HD800 Balanced out of WA66
  3. That the HD600 scales up gorgeously well
  4. And that Stax setup

WA66???
I heard nothing about that before...

Nov 15, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #82 of 103
Probably referring to my WA22
wink.gif

Anoobis, great impressions thanks. With regards to the bass on the HD800s, I've found moving to the WA22 amp has really improved things on that score. There's easily enough bass now, really tight & controlled too. I know a lot of people find the HD800s a bit bass-light, but I'm convinced this is due to upstream components. I really wasn't yet familiar with my new amp at the meet, so I was keen to get people's view on the HD800's bass, which up to that point was their only weakness to my ears.

Nov 15, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #84 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by anoobis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
V-DAC vs DACMagic / general V-DAC impressions.

This is what I wrote earlier: LFC_SL and I did compare the V-DAC and the DacMagic, and we couldn't detect much different, can't say which one is better, they are just different. The V-DAC is more forward in the mids, a bit clearer, while the DacMagic is warmer, slightly smoother, a bit better separation as well, it has tubey sound I think. But again really, there are no big differences between these two dacs.

We can say that they are in the same league
wink.gif
at least via usb connection.

Nov 16, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #85 of 103
Apologies, I missed that paragraph the first time round.

Nov 16, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #86 of 103
Just to point out Dacmagic was via optical out and V-Dac was usb out on my Macbook. For purposes of easy switching and I did not bring a spare usb cable

It is possible to say optical out on the DM is slightly harsher at the top end but equally possible to say it is placebo

It is tempting to sell my DM and go for a Apogee Duet no. Damn you Sceptre!

Nov 17, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #87 of 103
I thought the Dac magic and V-Dac were very well priced products.

When I was looking to buy the Duet, I looked at many options.

The Duet is far from being the best DAC out there but the convenience and integration with the mac are untouchable. I often put the D10 optically out of the mac but still like the warmth of the Duet. IIRC is uses a Cirrus Logic chip but they make it sing.

I do not think the Duet powers HD600 very well though.

I'm just ordering a Duet Breakout for a better RCA output and less spaghetti!

Should you make me an offer though, I might end up with a PS Audio GCHA or Grace M902!!!!!!

Sceptre

Nov 26, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #89 of 103
Quote:

Probably referring to my WA22
wink.gif

Anoobis, great impressions thanks. With regards to the bass on the HD800s, I've found moving to the WA22 amp has really improved things on that score. There's easily enough bass now, really tight & controlled too. I know a lot of people find the HD800s a bit bass-light, but I'm convinced this is due to upstream components. I really wasn't yet familiar with my new amp at the meet, so I was keen to get people's view on the HD800's bass, which up to that point was their only weakness to my ears.

Hi Pedalhead,

I think the bass issue with the HD800 bass is a function of them being voiced neutrally and also having a skewed impedance curve.

If you look at the impedance vs frequency response graph on the Headroom site, impedance hits 650+ ohms in the 100hz - 200hz range, which is a huge deviation from the nominal 300 ohms spec. I'd therefore expect that quite a few amps will struggle in this area. AFAIK, tube amps usually prefer high impedance loads so your positive experience doesn't surprise me.

I have a preference for solid state so I'm looking into one of the SPL amps (Auditor or Phonitor) as they are apparently capable of driving the HD800 properly. My Sugden Headmaster pairs nicely with them but the bass could do with a bit more heft.

Cheers
beerchug.gif

Nov 27, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #90 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Pedalhead,
I have a preference for solid state so I'm looking into one of the SPL amps (Auditor or Phonitor) as they are apparently capable of driving the HD800 properly. :

If you find a place in the UK to trial the Phonitor, do let me know. Dolphin Music said they would do sale or return but couldn't locate one when I asked.

If of course, you do buy one, can I buy you a lunch to trial it?
I have a couple of FLAC files demonstrating the effect of the Phonitor when used as a line output. I can forward them if you PM me your email address. It won't demonstrate the bass performance of the amp but it will cover the effective of the crossfeed function. If you only require the Auditor, then just ignore.

Sceptre

Users who are viewing this thread

Back