UK Meet: Manchester 2009 Impressions
Nov 11, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #61 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by apmusson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was very surprised how much I liked your tube amps Mark. I certainly didn't expect to go to the meet and come away with a clear purchase decision....

and I will be in contact once I've managed to find one.

I've had a look on ebay but theres no X-CANs on there at the moment. I'd be grateful for a heads-up if anyone spots a secondhand XCAN v3 for sale....

Thanks

Ade

Cool, very pleased you enjoyed them.
biggrin.gif

I'll keep an eye out for you if I see them on sale.

Mark

Nov 11, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #63 of 103
Well, it's time for me now to put my thoughts into writing/typing. We had an excellent meet on that day and I've listened to almost every rig on the table. I spent a lot of time with iBasso D4 and D10 and did a lot extensive comparison between these two out of USB. I am quite impressed with these two little gems, in fact they are outstanding at their respective price points and given their versatility.

Outstanding Were:

Grado PS-1 (Scrumptious Bass) + Exciter DAC + Melos (So mellow)

Stax Omega MK1 + 717 (Incredible speed and detail)

Grado SR-225 Headphile Modded and Balanced (So close to PS-1s)

JH-13 + iRiver H120 + iBasso D10 (What a gear!)

iBasso D4, D10

Impressed With:

HD 800 (Balanced) + WA22 (Such a different & relaxed sound stage)

HD 800 (SE) + DACS (Excellent dynamics and transient response)

Beresford DAC

Ultrasone ED-9 (Way too over priced)

Dislikes:

Grado 325i (Way too harsh and bright and nowhere near the modded 225s)

Many thanks to you all for bringing all that outstanding gear with you and really looking forward to a possible Canjam'10 in the UK.

Cheers
Ven

Nov 11, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #64 of 103
Hi all. As I was going through my photos I realised just how little kit I actually listened to on the day. Curse of the organiser I guess
biggrin.gif
. It doesn't matter though as I really enjoyed meeting & chatting with so many fellow enthusiasts. A big thanks to Shaun and Kristina for supporting the event, and I certainly hope we can look at taking it up a notch or two for next year. Thanks also to everyone for treating all the kit with such care. I don't think we had any problems at all on the day, so well done to everyone!

Of the limited things I did listen to, and just to be completely unoriginal, I was most impressed with the b22/hd800 combo. Although I think I'm probably a "tube guy", I was surprised at just what a lovely warm & detailed sound the b22 delivered for a SS amp. I could only listen single-ended as my hd800s are terminated with 2x3-pin rather than the 4-pin of the b22, but I still think it was the best thing I heard all day, and is definitely on my wish list for the future.

The Senn hd800s - having bought my pair blind (or should that be "deaf"), I'm pleased the gamble paid off. I can see why they wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but I don't think I would swap them for anything else I've heard (yet!).

Next for me was the DACS Headmaster DAC/amp that Douglas brought. It had a really neutral, clean sound & drove the hd800s really well. Considering the price & spec, I think this unit deserves to do really well, and I'm not surprised it's been reviewed so positively. Packaged in a consumer-friendly chassis, it would be a really tempting proposition. Many thanks to Douglas for taking the time to come along, and also to Sennheiser for providing the demo hd800s.

A real surprise for me was just how great my hd600s sounded with tudj's MiniMAX, and interestingly we did notice an improvement from the stock cable to my Cardas, mainly in the bottom end. I've never been a huge believer in cable upgrades, but I'm fairly confident there's something in it with this combination at least.

I'm generally not a huge fan of closed headphones, but I did enjoy MarkyMark's D5000s (MarkL modded, but with some padding removed). They had a really nice detailed but warm sound, though I'd say I prefered them via his Heed Canamp rather than straight out of the DAC-1.

I also thought the Phonak Audeo earphones brought along by Shaun (HiFiHeadphones) were great value, very comfortable & with a really neutral sound. They were pretty tough to drive though (even my Cowon D2 struggled), and really benefitted from a portable amp.

Of the Grado's I listened to, my favourites were Pete's PS1 and my HF-2. The PS1 is a lovely thing to behold, those big chunks of aluminium (it's heavier than any Grado I've played with). Via Pete's rig they had bags of nicely controlled bass, and great detail. I do struggle to enjoy the pushed mids of most Grados, which I suppose is why I find the HF-2 an easier listen. The PS1 was clearly the more capable headphone, but for these non-Grado ears, I think the decidedly non-Grado HF-2 is more suited.

I'd say that by the end of the day, some of you guys probably had more listening time on my Woo WA22 amp than I had! Considering it had only arrived 2 days earlier, and I'd been unwell, I'd really not had a chance to get familiar with it's character. I've been making up for that this week, and I'm really enjoying the WA22/balanced hd800 combination. I've certainly never heard this amount of tight, controlled bass out of these headphones, which just proves to me how dependant they are on upstream components. I suspect the b22 is still probably my favourite, but I didn't compare them closely enough on the day to call it. I have some new driver tubes coming soon, and it'll be interesting to see how I get along with the WA22 over the coming months.

Regrets, well I wish I had listened to loads more stuff! I had a brief flirt with Duggeh's lovely Stax rig, but not really long enough to formulate a view on it. I wish I had tried more of Fault's kit, and I also missed out on the PS Audio amp. Still, there's always next year
beerchug.gif

Nov 11, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #66 of 103
Once again thanks to Mark for making it happen and Shaun and Kristina for sponsoring and bringing along plenty of kit to try out.
With a vast array of grados on show i was hoping to find some love for them,but it wasn't really to be.The only ones that tickled my ears were pedalheads HF1s and suicidal orange's (Joe) modded 225s.
One of the surprise items of the meet for me was tudj's millett hybrid minimax amp,a little power house with punch and clarity (get that cardas cable Mike!).
I also enjoyed markymarks markl modded D5000s out of his DAC1 and his heed canamp.Marks newly aquired HD800s (lucky person) also sounded great out of various amps but will definately improve with more use,Hope you are enjoying them mate
biggrin.gif

Another amp of note was mofonyx's B22 when listening with his balanced HD600,a very musical and refined sound that i wish i could of listened to more but,unfortunately,his balanced cable developed a bad connection.
Fault 151's table had a lovely array of tube amps that he had either built or modded himself.The one that sounded best to my ears using my HD650s was the modded x-can v3.A special mention to mrs fault 151 for putting up with a room full of headphone dweebs,respect.
Lastly,i must give nhat thanh's ath-ad2000s a mention.They sounded wonderful out of either tudj's millett and my darkvoice 337se,with tight punchy bass,sweet ethereal mids and very clear top and a wide soundfield.Seriously thinking of purchasing a pair of these.
Well all in all a very enjoyable way to spend a Saturday with a friendly bunch of people.Count me in for next year,can't wait to do it again
happy_face1.gif

Nov 12, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #67 of 103
Sorry should have posted sooner would like to say a big thank you to Mark for event.
I wish i could have stayed longer.So much great gear to try.I had a great time,loved the HD 800 on Marks WA22,and on mofonyx's b22.Another nice sound was Alvin Sawdust's HD650 with his Dark voice 337SE.Also got to try some lovely Grado's as well.Thanks as well to Shaun and Kristina for bringing so much nice gear for us to try.
Thank you all it made a really good day. Lets hope for another one or two maybe? next year.

Nov 12, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #69 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by alvin sawdust /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another amp of note was mofonyx's B22 when listening with his balanced HD600,a very musical and refined sound that i wish i could of listened to more but,unfortunately,his balanced cable developed a bad connection.

Me and my flatmate opened up the cable yesterday. It was more than just a bad connection, the cable snapped entirely. We sorted it out, kinda butchered the connector and managed to solder it fine.

Working now, too little too late I guess.

frown.gif
Well, maybe next time.

Nov 13, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #70 of 103
I too should have posted sooner, but better late than never. Also I'll appologise in advance that I'm useless with names - no offence meant!

I'd like to thank Duggeh for getting things started and Mark for having the patience to "get the buggers to talk to you" and getting it all arranged. Also Shaun and Kristina for sponsoring and being great salespeople - that is not trying to sell things (if they're reading this they may remember saying I'd have a price for a T3 on Monday or Tuesday - I'm still waiting
wink.gif
)

This was my first meet and I really didn't know what to expect at all but it was very relaxed and although completely out of my depth when it comes to talking about sound everyone made me really welcome. I listened to many random things, without really taking much notice of what was what let alone who's it was so my impressions are all over the place. And as my phone camera is useless I have no pretty pics to add either, so I'll just thank everyone for taking the time to pack up all their gear - it must have taken ages!

The most important thing I learnt was that my "bass-light" K340's are actually "bass-less", past a certain point, no matter what amp you plug them in to. I'll not forget Sceptre's face when he confirmed a track was supposed to be bassy! I also like tubes, and am not against the sound of closed cans...

A great day was ended with a lovely meal thanks to some local knowledge, shame about the Bose in the bar before - my first taste of their sound and now I know why they aren't highly regarded on here
biggrin.gif

I'd be up for doing it again next year
beerchug.gif

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #72 of 103
Peeps, what was the wireless dock controller thing the iPod Touch was in again?
redface.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by fault151 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh I forgot to add to my last review post that it was great to hear the Audio GD Compass Dac. I have seen a lot posted on Head fi regarding the compass dac and it was nice to hear it. I already have some of the discrete op amps used inside the Compass an I really like them. They perform really well over standard op amps. The dac sounded great and with the Moon op amp installed it had a really nice warm valve like sound to it.

Knew I forgot to talk about something!

Nov 13, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #74 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Peeps, what was the wireless dock controller thing the iPod Touch was in again?
redface.gif

Do you mean this one? If so, it's just a powered dock, nothing clever. My ipod touch was running an application called "ipeng" to control the Squeezebox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back