UK Meet: Manchester 2009 Impressions
Nov 10, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #46 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sceptre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally spent too long at my table and not long enough at others. I had envisaged that we would be listening until midnight, alas, I shall have to wait until the next meet.

I had the same problem mainly because i brought 6/7 amps and 1 source. Stupid of me.Next time i will make a switch box of some sort so listener scan just flick between amps rather than me manually swapping wires all day (like an idiot).

Quote:

The one thing I enjoyed more than anything was the camaraderie and respect that everybody had for each other.

I agree, it was really good to hear people form their own honest opinions but not force opinions on others.

Quote:

Next event, I shall bring less and be more discerning as to what I think should be auditioned rather than cover a table cloth with junk!

I really liked your portable gear, i have never heard such a a selection before
biggrin.gif
. I would definitely bring it all to the next meet!

Nov 10, 2009 at 10:18 AM Post #47 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs Fault151 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The DACS clarity headmaster! This just looked so huge compared to everyone elses!

Janine
L3000.gif

Hi Janine, and every one else at the meet. The Clarity HeadMaster is a product and package currently aimed at recording studios. Its size is determined by the housing (19" rackmount) that this sort of equipment is mounted in. Our plan is to look at a housing that will be smaller and more suitable for hi-fi/home listening. I should also say thanks to Sennheiser for sending the pair of HD800s I brought.

I must say that the event was a revelation for me. 99% of our work is in the Pro Audio arena, and like a lot of people in that industry I was largely unaware of the range and quality of headphones and particularly amplifiers out there. I was very pleased with the response we received from everybody who had a listen to the Clarity HeadMaster and the HeadLite; we appear to be moving in the right direction. Our next step is to decide on a housing style - so many possibilities; it is very difficult!

Of the amplifiers I heard, I think that 2 of Fault151's (Mark) valve amps and the other Mark's Woo impressed the most. It is pure coincidence that my favourites were brought exclusively by Marks!

Thanks to everybody there for making it a great day.

DouglasD

Nov 10, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #49 of 103
Wow, looks like you had a blast! Great setups and a UK CanJam sounds rather fantastic! That one might be more doable for me right now than the US version.

Nov 10, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #50 of 103
Better late than never!

Again, I'd like to thank everyone for a great day.

I wrote most of these notes on Saturday night, things may seem a little out of order etc but I was just writing as I was thinking...

I was really keen to listen to some Grados as I'd read so much about them - all in all I think it's fair to say that I fall into the "hate" category for them, they are way too bright for my tastes, I did like the amount of detail in the mid range though. I tried the SR225, RS-1, Alessandro MS-2, GS-1000 and the HF-2 - the only ones I liked were the HF-2 as they were not as bright. I was really dissapointed by the GS-1000's, I expected better from a £900+ headphone (the soundm may have been affected by the fit, I couldn't get the cups to sit flat against my head)

The next thing I was excited about was the HD800, I wasn't too sure at first, they have such a different sound to everything else I'd heard. I think it was the super wide soundstage that threw me, the presentation seemed a bit too distant to me too, vocals sounded too far away. I thought they had a really smooth sound and in the end decided I liked them quite a lot - but not enough to think about owning a pair anytime soon at the cost. At the end me and Mark (Pedal) compared the balanced vs single ended HD800 out of the WA22 and both decided that there was very little (if any) differance, I think this may be the lack of hours on the Woo though.

One pair of headphones caught me by suprise - the Audio Techina AD2000, they have a really wide soundstage the instrument seperation was amazing, the detail was really good and I thought they had a nice open, airy sound. Did these have a Cardas cable?

I compared Alvin's HD650 to my 600's and decided I prefer the 600's, the 650 seem to heavy with the bass for me. They are a great pair of headphones though, I did prefer the treble on the 650's to the 600.

The Darkvoice 337SE was a very nice amp, I wasn't 100% sure on it's pairing with the tube DAC though, it seemed slightly bass heavy - even more so with the 650's. It was a good match for the Denon D5000/7000 though!

I tried the 3 pairs of Ultrasone's that Sceptre brought along, out of the 3 pairs, the only ones I'd consider buying would be the Edition 9's, I liked the bass, it was really deep and tight but I still prefered Mark's D5000 overall.

The DT770 Darth Beyer's were awful (sorry Mark
tongue.gif
) - they have obscene amounts of (flappy/farty) bass and not much else really. I wish I'd have had a chance to compare them to stock DT770.

The Denon D5000 Markl modded cans sounded fantastic with my amp, they had a really great (IMO) warm sound and were very entertaining. They had great dynamics, a really sweet high end - smooth mids and tight, fast bass. They were definatley the best pair of closed cans I heard today. I think that they sounded better with valve amps (my MiniMAX and the Darkvoice) than the Heed Canamp of Mark's.

The D7000 were very similar but I found them to have a slightly brighter high end, the rest seemed much the same. I do recall that they had a slightly more open sound, I think this was because of the thicker earpads.

I tried the DT990 and the Shure SRH840, both left me unimpressed - they both had a flat, lifeless sound. I didn't give these much oppurtunity (2-3 mins each at most). Somebody mentioned that these were new on the day?

Another headphone that didn't meet my expectations was the STAX Omega 2, they did have very good detail and soundstaging but they didn't really "click" with me, they seemed a little flat sounding and not very dynamic - I'm not sure if I was listening too quiet to these. I'll have to have another try next year!

The Clarity Headmaster was one of the first things I listened to, I used it with my HD600 first and was impressed at the sound, it was really neutral and crisp. I tried it later on with the HD800 and had pretty much the same thoughts - it wasn't the best at the meet but it was quite a good amp. I wanted to try some closed cans with it but didn't get time.

One objective I had in mind while at the meet was to compare my CDP with a DAC to try and decide if I want to split with my money, I did a direct comparison of the DACMagic with my CDP using my headphones and amp and I couldn't really hear much of an improvement, I think that the soundstage was a little bigger when using the DACMAgic but I'm not convinced I could tell the difference in a blind test. I heard a much bigger difference in sound when using a Cardas cable with my HD600, the difference between that cable and my Oehlbach cable really suprised me as I was a cable sceptic before the meet. With the Cardas cable the sound was much more energetic and involving - I'm trying to resist upgrading. There were several others who noticed the cable difference immediately too.

Another headphone I've just remembered about is the AKG K701. I was a little dissapointed with them when I heard them on the Heed Canamp but they transformed when I used them with my MiniMAX or the Darkvoice, they really opened up and the bass improved dramatically. My only concern with those was the soundstage, it seemed to lean to the right somewhat at the higher end (I can't really describe it).

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark
From memory, things I did like were the AD2000 going through the Millet Minimax and a Yamaha CD player (Tudj's?).

Yes, the Yamaha was mine - I was quite suprised with it too, maybe it wasn't as cheap as I'd originally thought (I inherited it from my Grandfather and have being using it until I can afford my own)

Nov 10, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #51 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by tudj /img/forum/go_quote.gif

One pair of headphones caught me by suprise - the Audio Techina AD2000, they have a really wide soundstage the instrument seperation was amazing, the detail was really good and I thought they had a nice open, airy sound. Did these have a Cardas cable?

Yes my AD2000 have the Cardas cable, also the pads mod as well (just stuffing), and it also improve the soundstage.

I really enjoy my AD2000 out of your setup with the MiniMax, as well as the Millet Max, so smooth and warm, they are stunning with female vocal
L3000.gif
. Both amp sound very similar (basically just the same amp?), though there was a slight different in the presentation, I assume that just because they come from different sources.

Nov 10, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #52 of 103
Great impressions guys.
What did you think of the Fostex T50rp? (was it the newer model with newer pads?)

Duggeh, was your new planar invention present? Thunderdome or whatnot?
And shame on you ortho (sfi) haters
tongue.gif
. Duggeh you need to be on the Yamaha team, then people would have swooned.

I hope the next meet more southward, closer to London
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #53 of 103
It was the old pads on the T50RP and they were in poor condition. I found them bassless but very clean. I'd very much like to try them with the better pads.

The Thunderdome is still being worked on. Just don't seem to be able to find the time to work on it at the minute. I'd like to have it ready for Canjam though.

Nov 10, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #54 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by tudj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was really keen to listen to some Grados as I'd read so much about them - all in all I think it's fair to say that I fall into the "hate" category for them, they are way too bright for my tastes, I did like the amount of detail in the mid range though. I tried the SR225, RS-1, Alessandro MS-2, GS-1000 and the HF-2 - the only ones I liked were the HF-2 as they were not as bright. I was really dissapointed by the GS-1000's, I expected better from a £900+ headphone (the soundm may have been affected by the fit, I couldn't get the cups to sit flat against my head)

I had the same experience at my first meet. It made me happy I hadn't bought a Grado. I found them extremely uncomfortable as well.

Nov 10, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #55 of 103
Looked like a fantastic meet! I simply couldn't get away (issues... complex issues). Would've loved to try to the HD800 and the Alessandro MS-2.

Nov 10, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #56 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My personal highlight of the meet was having the chance to plug my DIY orthos (sadly I had to bash together a pair in haste because my go-to pair suffered a fried driver) into some meaty headphone amps. They were best of the DACS Audio amp in the 19" rackmount. The B22 was struggling with them which I was highly surprised by, but It may have been because of the amp having a low gain, combined with the very low efficiency of the ortho drivers.

I'm surprised as well. I've left the line output on my DAC1 to be jumpered at -10dB. The default setting was like -30dB or something and I bumped it up to -10dB. I was very happy with this setting because it suited my set up. It isn't the best idea to have a loud volume because of an increased noise floor. So I adjusted my set up to just about where the knob reaches half way or a bit more.

I realise that because of this, a lot of the equipment required less attenuation (read: more volume). I believe this was due to my jumper setting on the DAC1 and not the beta22. Additionally, the beta22 is set to a low-gain (4x instead of 8x, so balanced would be 8x and single ended 4x), once again to minimize noise.

Nov 11, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #57 of 103
What a great way to spend a Saturday!

I was the chap running around with a copy of In Rainbows as my reference and trying as many cans and amps as possible before leaving for my sons' birthday party. My head was frazzled by 2pm.

I'll not repeat what has been said already except to mention my highlights were:

Meeting Mr & Mrs Fault and trying there excellent home made Akido tube amp

The lush tubeyness of the Woo and Darkvoice amps

Balanced HD650 into the B22

The journey through the Ultrasone catalogue with Sceptre, (interesting but not my taste).

Many thanks to all for the chat and advice. Sorry I couldn't stay for mucho beers this time but I'm surely on for the next one.

Lessons I learnt...........

The Beresford 7520 sounds better with the K701 than the Caiman

Building your own amps is frustrating but fun

Money don't always buy you a better headphone. Trust your ears.

Britain needs someone to step up and open a demo room for high-end headphones (HIfi Headphones you in?)

A pleasant surpise to find such a friendly and enthusiastic bunch. MEN areana next year.

Nov 11, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #59 of 103
I was very surprised how much I liked your tube amps Mark. I certainly didn't expect to go to the meet and come away with a clear purchase decision....

and I will be in contact once I've managed to find one.

I've had a look on ebay but theres no X-CANs on there at the moment. I'd be grateful for a heads-up if anyone spots a secondhand XCAN v3 for sale....

Thanks

Ade

Quote:

Originally Posted by fault151 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, thanks for the nice comments, much appreciated! I think you will really enjoy the X-can V3 when you manage to track one down. it will sound so sweet with your Beresford. Give me a shout when you purchase an X-can and i'll point you in the direction of where to get the mods I used. If you have any problems with installing them, give me a shout.

My next mods for the X-can will be to get a 'little pinkie psu'. The Pinkie has been commented by many to be a really good improvement on the X-cans bass and weight within the music.

I also want the new Beresford, damn you for letting me listen to it
biggrin.gif

Nov 11, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #60 of 103
Looks like you all had an excellent meet.

Sorry I could not get there - just too much going on at the moment - and with my President of the International Federation of Soundhunters hat on, having to organise the International Recording Contest - it was just too much this time.

But I'm glad I managed to get Douglas of DACS there and loaned him the HD 800 for the event as, from reading this thread, his headphone amps were very well received.

Hopefully I will be able to make the next meet and meet you all.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back