UK import and VAT question
Oct 28, 2021 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Womaz

1000+ Head-Fier
I am considering buying a product from Europe.
I have been told the courier will apply the VAT. So yes this will push the price up by 20%. Are there any other charges. I vaguely remember someone saying that they got a handling charge too.
Can anyone shed any light on this please

Oct 28, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #2 of 5
Depends, if the courier passes your package to parcelforce and royal mail and this does happen sometimes, you'll get a handling fee for 8£ and some other fee as well. This is only if you don't pay VAT at checkout and HMRC has to asses.
If you pay VAT e.g. 20% at checkout you won't pay anything extra.

Oct 28, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #3 of 5
Depends, if the courier passes your package to parcelforce and royal mail and this does happen sometimes, you'll get a handling fee for 8£ and some other fee as well. This is only if you don't pay VAT at checkout and HMRC has to asses.
If you pay VAT e.g. 20% at checkout you won't pay anything extra.
Thanks for the post. There is no VAT at checkout. VAT will be added by the Courier the supplier says. The fees you mention are small so will not be an issue.

Oct 28, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #4 of 5
Can vary based on the vendor (for instance, Amazon.eu or an Ebay vendor vs others) and the cost. If under £135 the vendor may be required to collect VAT (to include VAT in the price you pay).

Oct 28, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #5 of 5
Can vary based on the vendor (for instance, Amazon.eu or an Ebay vendor vs others) and the cost. If under £135 the vendor may be required to collect VAT (to include VAT in the price you pay).
The vendor has said they ship it to me and I will be liable for the VAT. They do not apply it. Thanks for the post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back