UK Headphone Amp Stockists for Newbie
Mar 18, 2006 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bobbyk

100+ Head-Fier
Who are the best suppliers of headphone amps in the UK?

I have to dispose of my speakers from my audiophile system, as I have no room to accomodate them in my new home. This now means a headphone only system which will have to be a good quality system with plenty of detail.

As such I am looking to purchase Grado RS-1's that initially I will have to run with my Earmax Valve Amp (Original Flinstone Model) and Naim CD2 player.

Looking at commemnts regarding the power output of the Origin Earmax it is probable that I am going to have to upgrade this in the not to distant future.

As a novice in the headphone world any suggestions of amps to consider and contacts of retailers for them would be greatly appretiated.

Mar 19, 2006 at 9:07 AM Post #3 of 8
http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/ have a reasonable selection.

Do you know what price range and type (solid state,tube etc) you are looking for?

Mar 19, 2006 at 11:12 AM Post #4 of 8
Rob N

I've always used tube amplification, even with my speaker set up, I find it is more liquid in its presentation of music.

I'd consider upto £800

Mar 19, 2006 at 12:14 PM Post #5 of 8
Get the RSA "The Raptor". You won't regret it. It will "only" set you back $1175 (~700 pounds).
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 20, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #7 of 8
I was going to suggest Stoneaudio as well.
Anyway most head amp are made by company that only sell on the web, without retailers (mostly from the USA or China). The good thing is that the prices are much lower than what they would be with traditional distribution (less than half price!), the bad new is that you cannot try them before buying, specially here in the UK, also you have to go through the hassle of UK voltage, shipping, custom. Most of them have a 30 days return policy, but still you have to pay for double shipping and custom if you are not satisfied.

Regarding your amp upgrade I would certainly put at the top of the list the products from Singlepower, mainly PPS (around $800) or MPS (I believe around $1,100); they are highly customable and seem to be most people favourite choice in this forum; the Raptor is an interesting choice as well, although a bit more expensive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back