UK Head-Fiers Keeping Warm?
Jan 8, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #2 of 35
nice picture
eek.gif

I went out this morning with a t-shirt, work polo shirt, hoodie and jacket, 2 pairs of socks, Man Utd scarf (boooo..I'm a gunner but couldn't find anyting else in the house), and a massive wooly hat and I was still freezing.

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyGCSE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice picture
eek.gif

I went out this morning with a t-shirt, work polo shirt, hoodie and jacket, 2 pairs of socks, Man Utd scarf (boooo..I'm a gunner but couldn't find anyting else in the house), and a massive wooly hat and I was still freezing.

"UTD"?

"gunner"?

Sometimes we don't grok the lingo.

BTW, another news report said that the UK is as cold (-21 degrees C) as the South Pole.

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"UTD"?

United

Quote:

"gunner"?

He's an Arsenal fan
ksc75smile.gif

Quote:

Sometimes we don't grok the lingo.

Sometimes we don't grok yours either. What is 'grok'??

It is freezing here in Surrey. My cat keeps looking at me accusingly like I laid the snow myself
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #6 of 35
For the first time in a loooooong time it was in the teens in the top half of Texas(yes texas), newcasters said it felt like -5 to 5 degrees
A scarf is looking good all the sudden

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #7 of 35
It was -29C this morning and -37C yesterday morning here. We expect to get up to -5C tomorrow. But hey, this is just about the norm here and you get acclimatized to it. At -5C it's just about nice enough to put on some shorts.

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #9 of 35
It's always funny when people complain about the "cold" when they're not accustomed to it. I don't think it's been above 10F here in the last 2 weeks. Oh well, that's winter for ya.

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
was -9*C here the other day, ive never seen it be so cold here for so long, the odd day or two maybe but its been crazy cold for weeks now

Yeah. And once again the entire country seems to have closed down. I'm supposed to go to Barcelona on Tuesday but they've predicted at least another week of 'arctic' conditions so I expect my flight will be cancelled
frown.gif

And did you see we're running out of salt? Again?? Councils have been told to cut down gritting by 25%, even though we allegedly ordered a ton of it a few weeks back. I love how we're told we have enough salt, and then after a few days of gritting, we run out! Most of the side streets are like skating rinks!

I'm keeping warm with central heating, a gas fire and electric blanket
icon10.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is 'grok'??

It's from the Heinlein novel Stranger In A Strange Land and means something on the order of drink, take in, understand. The expression "You green?" in The Fifth Element means much the same.

Jan 8, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #14 of 35
I'm in Leicester and we're probably like the only city where there's been barely any snow. When people have had a whole foot of snow, we've had an inch to two. We did reach -7c and I can't actually imagine what it would have been like if we had reached -20c like some places did. I wore a t-shirt, shirt, jumper, blazer, coat, scarf, gloves and two pairs of socks and I was still freezing :|

Jan 8, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by pimfram /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's always funny when people complain about the "cold" when they're not accustomed to it. I don't think it's been above 10F here in the last 2 weeks. Oh well, that's winter for ya.

we're accustomed to the rain
very_evil_smiley.gif

and yes I'm an Arsenal fan
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back