UK alternative to Head Fi?
Sep 6, 2007 at 8:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

subharmonic

100+ Head-Fier
Ok team, I've been on the site for ages as a lurker. It seems to be a tremendous resource for people who are clueless about headphones.

Thing is, I'm looking to buy a 2nd hand set of phones for a good price, but there's precious little people on here who sell to buyers from the UK.
So, my question is, is there a similar site to this based in the UK, or similarly a good UK Audiophile forum?

I've been googling for what seems like ages, and haven't found anything which might have a similar classifieds section to that on here.

Any ideas?

Also, can anyone tell me how many posts you need to make before you can fully unlock the trading area, as currently I cannot start any threads...

Any help would be great folks.

Cheers!

Sep 6, 2007 at 9:02 AM Post #2 of 13
Hi,

There is a headphone section at avforums.com which several of us UK head-fiers frequent. There's also a thriving sales forum too.

Here I believe it's 50 posts and one month before trading can start and feedback is especially important for new joiners.

Sep 6, 2007 at 9:27 AM Post #3 of 13
I`m in exactly same position, did not know that posting is so important, been lurking all the way round for ages...
Now it`s 50 posts, that troubles me because I`m not a writer type
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 6, 2007 at 10:11 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by subharmonic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok team, I've been on the site for ages as a lurker. It seems to be a tremendous resource for people who are clueless about headphones.

Thing is, I'm looking to buy a 2nd hand set of phones for a good price, but there's precious little people on here who sell to buyers from the UK.
So, my question is, is there a similar site to this based in the UK, or similarly a good UK Audiophile forum?

I've been googling for what seems like ages, and haven't found anything which might have a similar classifieds section to that on here.

Any ideas?

Also, can anyone tell me how many posts you need to make before you can fully unlock the trading area, as currently I cannot start any threads...

Any help would be great folks.

Cheers!

theres a fair few of us UK'ers here, it would be a shame to poke your head through the door and then go to another community, you wont get a better one than this.

although a lof of kit is in the US, and we always see the dreaded CONUS tag, its still all good, and by limiting yourself to kit from the UK, you limit your choice in a way.

and dont forget, often foreign currency exchange is our friend
wink.gif

even if the inexplicably hard to work out formula for customs/import isnt.

Sep 6, 2007 at 11:31 AM Post #7 of 13
Most, well a lot of circum-aural headphones are European. AKG, Sennheiser, Beyer-Dynamic, Ultrasone. So they're not ludicrious to buy new here, no import tax.

Sep 6, 2007 at 12:02 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by subharmonic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's the 2nd hand market I'm interested in...

Just saying, there are a fair few European sellers here. I'd guess the 50-post thing is just for sellers.

I bought my first Amp on here.

Sep 6, 2007 at 12:57 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just saying, there are a fair few European sellers here. I'd guess the 50-post thing is just for sellers.

I bought my first Amp on here.

X2 - as above, @subharmonic, the feeback of 50 only needs to apply to sellers. NOT buyers.

and there are good intra-european deals to be had. as well as domestic. just keep that classifieds forums under tabs

Sep 6, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #12 of 13
I've bought/sold a couple of things from people in the US. I just offer an extra $40 to cover shipping and they are usually willing to ship here.

Import fees are a pain though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back