UK airport chaos
Aug 10, 2006 at 9:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

StevieDvd

Headphoneus Supremus
Here we go again another terrorist airplane attack (allegedly) just hope it's not the start of a concerted campaign UK airport news. Now try taking your cmoy on a plane!

Keeping my fingers crossed that nothing actually happens and no-one gets hurt or killed.

Steve

Aug 10, 2006 at 9:58 AM Post #2 of 15
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4778575.stm

Thank god these people were caught.
eek.gif

Aug 10, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #3 of 15
"another terrorist airplane attack (allegedly)"

You have to take the threat seriously- what are the alternatives?

Hopefully all the conspirators were arrested. The Tower of London- Didn’t they have ways of persuading people in there? Ah the old days.

Mitch

Aug 10, 2006 at 3:16 PM Post #4 of 15
Bless You Brits - and a big thankyou from over here!! hope we never have to return the favor, but if we have to, I am sure we will.

You check our six, we'll check yours!

Thanks again

Aug 10, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #5 of 15
I just heard this on teh radio too and might have been the next "9/11".. Thank goodness they were caught or this would have been a horrific event. I also heard that airport security going to UK and the US have tightened to the point that a passenger can't bring on liquids other than juice or baby formula (and baby has to be present). Also prescription drug labels must match the same name. It sounds like a major PITA but going through all of that for peace of mind is worth it...

Aug 10, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
"another terrorist airplane attack (allegedly)"

You have to take the threat seriously- what are the alternatives?

Hopefully all the conspirators were arrested. The Tower of London- Didn’t they have ways of persuading people in there? Ah the old days.

Mitch

I'm not saying that we should not take it seriously! But not having access to the full facts I was just indicating that it was still a bit unclear exactly what was planned.

Steve

Aug 10, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ak622
I just heard this on teh radio too and might have been the next "9/11".. Thank goodness they were caught or this would have been a horrific event. I also heard that airport security going to UK and the US have tightened to the point that a passenger can't bring on liquids other than juice or baby formula (and baby has to be present). Also prescription drug labels must match the same name. It sounds like a major PITA but going through all of that for peace of mind is worth it...

All of that would make me more paranoid

Aug 10, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #9 of 15
I was listening to this report on the radio this morning and I understand they are checking carry-ons for any liquids which will no longer be allowed (with the exception of baby formula and prescription cough medicine). My question is what about after security? There are usually a dozen places that sell bottled water, coffee, McDonalds, etc. after the security check. What's to stop someone from getting a bottled water and placing it in their bag after the security check? This may not be a way to the terrorists to use the same plan but seems a little goofy all the same.

Let's hope there are no other cells with plans for today as a result of this failed attempt! God be with you!

Aug 10, 2006 at 4:27 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
... My question is what about after security? There are usually a dozen places that sell bottled water, coffee, McDonalds, etc. after the security check. What's to stop someone from getting a bottled water and placing it in their bag after the security check? ...

Are you implying someone will infiltrate Aquafina and put liquid explosives in a particular bottle of water that a terrorist will then be able to spot and purchase once in the airport?

Aug 10, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
I was listening to this report on the radio this morning and I understand they are checking carry-ons for any liquids which will no longer be allowed (with the exception of baby formula and prescription cough medicine). My question is what about after security? There are usually a dozen places that sell bottled water, coffee, McDonalds, etc. after the security check. What's to stop someone from getting a bottled water and placing it in their bag after the security check? This may not be a way to the terrorists to use the same plan but seems a little goofy all the same.

Let's hope there are no other cells with plans for today as a result of this failed attempt! God be with you!

They don't sell liquid explosives behind the security checks do they?
wink.gif

The plot involved smuggling liquid explosives, in regular bottles, past security in carry on luggage. It's an extremely risky plan as liquid explosives can be set off by even a mild physical shock, but hey, not like they were planning on living anyways.

Aug 10, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #12 of 15
It appears these rather strange "extreme islamic" chaps intended to blow up to 10 planes out of the sky. As per usual the media is over reacting and by tomorrow they'll probably have the number of planes up to 2,000. Apparantly the old bill have been on to this since "December" last year and decided to raid some houses only yesterday Apparantly we are on some sort of "critical" alert over here in the UK (well, we are now that the media bandwagon is on a roll) I'd best be on the look out for strange islamist extremists walking about in my back garden.

In fact, I have put my back garden on "pink alert" and any strange looking people I see in my garden will be sprayed with pink paint and horsewhipped all the way to the nearest harbour where I'll kick their arse into the sea and point them in the general direction of "islam" where they can swim to.

Aug 10, 2006 at 6:14 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin
They don't sell liquid explosives behind the security checks do they?
wink.gif

You ever tried airline tea? Much the same thing.

Aug 10, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieDvd
Here we go again another terrorist airplane attack (allegedly) just hope it's not the start of a concerted campaign UK airport news. Now try taking your cmoy on a plane!

Keeping my fingers crossed that nothing actually happens and no-one gets hurt or killed.

Steve

Profusely thankful to our UK neighbors for catching this plot, really
biggrin.gif

Thank you!!

and yes to the OP..this is exactly why I sold my PINT and cMOY amps..even with an excitable attitude and the intruction/schematics..it is up to the person you deal with there at the airport...and is how I lost my P2V2 amp last year, unfortunately...

Be careful with those portable amps on airplanes...you will get looks and trouble almost everytime..

plainface.gif

Aug 10, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #15 of 15
This is part of an email that was distributed to my company by the travel agency we use. US carry-on luggage is severely restricted. UK carry-on luggage is completely disallowed right now. If you're bringing a baby on a plane and you have something for the baby to drink, you personally have to drink some in front of a TSA agent. Nutty!

Quote:

Travel Recommendations for Flights Originating in the United States

*Arrive at the airport at least two hours prior to departure for
domestic flights and 3.5 hours for international flights
*NO LIQUIDS OR GELS OF ANY KIND WILL BE PERMITTED IN CARRY ON
BAGGAGE. ITEMS MUST BE IN CHECKED BAGGAGE. This includes all beverages,
shampoo, sun tan lotion, creams, tooth paste, perfume, hair gel, and other
items of similar consistency. Exception: Baby formula and medicines must be
presented for inspection at the checkpoint.
*Beverages purchased in the boarding area (beyond the checkpoint)
must be consumed before boarding because they will not be permitted on board
the aircraft.
*Passengers traveling from the U.K. to the U.S. will be subject to a
more extensive screening process at the boarding gate.
*International passengers be aware that although you may carry
laptops, etc. from the United States to the UK, all carry-on luggage is
prohibited on flights originating in the UK
*Cooperate with security officials and be prepared for security
screening
*Pack lightly - use clear plastic bags to facilitate faster
screening. Review the list of TSA banned items
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1012.shtm
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1012.shtm
when packing.

Additional Check-in Requirements for Flights Originating in the
United Kingdom
All cabin baggage must be processed as checked baggage and carried
in the hold of passenger aircraft departing UK airports.

Passengers may take through the airport security search point, in a
single (ideally transparent) plastic carrier bag, only the following items:

*Pocket size wallets and pocket size purses plus contents (for
example money, credit cards, identity cards etc (not handbags));
*Travel documents essential for the journey (for example passports
and travel tickets);
*Prescription medicines and medical items sufficient and essential
for the flight (eg, diabetic kit), except in liquid form unless verified as
authentic.
*Spectacles and sunglasses, without cases.
*Contact lens holders, without bottles of solution.
*For those traveling with an infant: baby food, milk (the contents of
each bottle must be tasted by the accompanying passenger) and sanitary items
sufficient and essential for the flight (nappies, wipes, creams and nappy
disposal bags)
*Female sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight, if
unboxed
*Tissues (unboxed) and/or handkerchiefs
*Keys (but no electrical key fobs)

All passengers must be hand searched, and their footwear and all the items
they are carrying must be x-ray screened.

Pushchairs and walking aids must be x-ray screened, and only
airport-provided wheelchairs may pass through the screening point.

In addition to the above, all passengers boarding flights to the USA and all
the items they are carrying, including those acquired after the central
screening point, must be subjected to secondary search at the boarding gate.
Any liquids discovered must be removed from the passenger. There are no
changes to current checked baggage security measures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back