Uh, there's a new Underworld out...
Oct 23, 2007 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

virometal

Headphoneus Supremus
Any other late 20, early 30 somethings listening to this? I imagine that demographic harbors good memories about the Bristol duo, trio, duo. Their rep seems to of slid a bit since "Beaucoup Fish". "Everything Everything" was a great live album, and "A Hundered Days Off" was a little underrated in my book. The more mature feel and world vibe kind of eliminated their indie electronic darling status. The kids need heroes from their own generation.

Well, after some soundtrack stuff, net exclusives, the boys are back with "Oblivion with Bells." The bells would be the first two tracks. "Crocodile" and "Beautiful Burnout". The later is classic Underworld, slow building, one part techno, one part trance with a muted chorus of what did Hyde say vocals. Unfortunately, after that oblivion settles in. The guys sound out of ideas, jump around a bit then end it.

One of my youth's electronic music touchstones earn their decreased stature here. I was disappointed.
frown.gif
Maybe Hyde and Smith should stick to scoring films.

Oct 23, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 9
well that's disappointing. not that I knew they had an upcoming release or anything, but I was initially excited by the title of the thread. I remember being a bit thrown off guard by the maturity of Beaucoup Fish, and it took several listens before I really appreciated it. Haven't heard "A Hundred Days Off," but any chance this one may just need a bit of a digestion period? I'd love to try it out, but probably won't buy it if only 20% is worthwhile.

Oct 23, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 9
good looking out!

have followed 'the boys' since their freur days.

and have there catalgoue of works, so will be sure to give this a try

thanks for the heads up!

Oct 25, 2007 at 12:49 PM Post #5 of 9
^ That sounds positive. I was wondering if anyone else had heard Oblivion With Bells and liked it. I've listened to a couple more times and my opinion hasn't changed much. Maybe it's all the great Electronic music I've heard this year or my expectations were too high.

"Beautiful Burnout" is so good, that track alone probably justifies buying the album for Underworld fans.

"Blood on a tissue on the floor of the train
Sun goes down, temperature drops
Beautiful burnout, beautiful burnout
Bird
Chrome"

Oct 26, 2007 at 1:21 PM Post #7 of 9
Wow, this takes me back. This is nothing more than a spam post, really, (never got into Underworld like my buddy did) but man, I'm inspired to drag out my old techno vinyl and zone out.

I do believe my concrete walls will be flexing to a little Photek, The Orb and, the all-time geek staple, the Wipeout XL soundtrack (complete with our OP subject) tonight.

Oct 27, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzydice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
other than the voice, its not underworld -- it's pure garbage.

icon10.gif
I lean that way. "Ring Road" comes to mind for that dubious honor. The beat isn't that bad. Then the autobiographical lyrics descend and float above the mix, and the song goes nowhere fast. I never mistook Hyde for Whitman or anything, but he's done better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back