uh oh
Jun 1, 2003 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tomek

500+ Head-Fier
hey guys. i bought a pair of senn 580's here a while ago. I bought these phones to play with and give to a friend. I have been using grado 325's and i remember going to baybloor radio to audition phones and deciding that the senn's seemed very veiled and i much prefered the grado sound.

but now, as i'm listening to these headphones, i find that my initial auditioning isn't consistent with what i'm hearing.

i'm listening to johnny cash american III right now, and i find that the senn's give more impact and the sound seems much fuller. when i put the grados on after using the senns they sound distant and there isn't that impact with his voice. am i experiencing a superior midrange with these 580's? with the grados, the vocals seem wispy and distant.

yikes. i just switched them again. he sounds like a girl.

is what i'm hearing consistent with the general impressions of these two different headphones?

i do hear a slight veil still. it is as if just a bit of detail is lost. is there a remedy for this?

am i gonna be selling my grados?

confused.gif
confused.gif

Jun 2, 2003 at 1:09 AM Post #2 of 5
Yes yes. I had the exact same impressions.

When I first got the Senn HD600 I also thought they were veiled and distant. My Grados SR80 were so much more exciting and had a powerful presence. I mean what the hell was I thinking getting the Senns?! However after living with them for awhile and getting used to their sound, I realised that the Senn HD600 sound was way more accurate and true to the recording. It had better presence and impact. The Grados sounded fake and manufactured in comparison. Not that they sound less good than before. Hell they were very good but I saw the "light".
biggrin.gif
Heck I even liked the Senns for rock better than the Grados. Imagine that!

Sometimes our ears are so used to a certain sound it forgets to unlearn what it has learned. Does that make sense? ha ha

So guys, first impressions don't count!

Jun 2, 2003 at 1:55 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by Masz

So guys, first impressions don't count!

I'd stick with that statement to hell and back! When I first got my hd600's, yeah, sure, they sounded slightly better than my Bose ****ports, but they weren't TOTALLY AMAZING. Now, they work wonders every time I put them on.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 2, 2003 at 2:07 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by tomek
with the grados, the vocals seem wispy and distant.

The Grados sound distant to you? That's strange.

Quote:

Originally posted by Masz
Yes yes. I had the exact same impressions.

When I first got the Senn HD600 I also thought they were veiled and distant. My Grados SR80 were so much more exciting and had a powerful presence. I mean what the hell was I thinking getting the Senns?! However after living with them for awhile and getting used to their sound, I realised that the Senn HD600 sound was way more accurate and true to the recording. It had better presence and impact. The Grados sounded fake and manufactured in comparison. Not that they sound less good than before. Hell they were very good but I saw the "light".
biggrin.gif
Heck I even liked the Senns for rock better than the Grados. Imagine that!

Sometimes our ears are so used to a certain sound it forgets to unlearn what it has learned. Does that make sense? ha ha

Don't forget to mention that it happens the other way around, too. If you start listening to your Grados more, and then after a while you switch back to the Senns, you'll probably find the Senns messed up again. It's all relativity and ear conditioning, I guess.

Jun 2, 2003 at 2:49 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by sTaTIx
Don't forget to mention that it happens the other way around, too. If you start listening to your Grados more, and then after a while you switch back to the Senns, you'll probably find the Senns messed up again. It's all relativity and ear conditioning, I guess.

True true.

At the end of the day it all depends on the individual. Some like the Grados more than the Senns after having both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back