uh-oh...think I fried my e2c's
Dec 12, 2005 at 3:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

rsabo

500+ Head-Fier
The right bud in my E2C's has just developed this real nasty, rattling, static-y noise. It sounds like either the driver is damaged or is bumping up against something in the enclosure. I think it could be the latter, as I can hold on to the bud and feel it vibrate with the music at high volumes, a whole lot more than my left. I doubt it's the source (laptop) either, as I tried a pair of cheap-o's next to my bed and they were relatively fine. I've pretty treated this things like crap (dropping them, taking them to the beach, other stupid things) for the past ~9-10 months, and they kept on trucking. Now here's the real stupid part, and is what I think started this...I had been using them to test my new Pimeta, which had developed this clicking noise after I toyed around with my power setup a tad. I think I have that sorted out, but not after I bridged some connections accidentaly with my fingers, which let out this loud, high-pitched noise.

So, in short I guess, fixable or time for new 'phones?

Dec 12, 2005 at 3:22 AM Post #2 of 13
Shures all have a two-year warranty, right? Sounds like you should still be within that, so why not have them fix it?

Dec 12, 2005 at 6:08 AM Post #4 of 13
Yeah just send them back. Mechanically theyre a pretty simple design, and IMHO very difficult to get anything caught in there to rattle around. The fact that it only does this on loud music makes me think the coil epoxy has come loose from the diaphragm, or the coil itself has come undone somewhere.

Could also be the lead wire rattling on the diaphragm.

Send em' back....

Garrett

Dec 12, 2005 at 6:35 AM Post #5 of 13
Am I the only one who sees an ethical problem with you trying to return a headphone that you admit to breaking yourself? Warranties are for manufacturing defects and products that fail during an agreed period, not so that you can get a new one if you break it out of carelessness.

*edit: I'm not having a go at the poster (who didn't bring this up), just the general idea of returning products user broken under warranty.

Dec 12, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #6 of 13
uh, if u wanna ignore wut the guy above me said, shure will send you a brand new pair of shure e2c's. I've claimed warranty on my e2c's twice, once for hyper sensitivity, which I later found out wasnt a defect. The second time the right earbud went dead. Both times I just sent in the earphone itself, and they sent me a brand new retail package. So now I have like 3 sets of accessories. Talk about awesome customer service

Dec 12, 2005 at 8:26 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by campbell
Am I the only one who sees an ethical problem with you trying to return a headphone that you admit to breaking yourself? Warranties are for manufacturing defects and products that fail during an agreed period, not so that you can get a new one if you break it out of carelessness.

*edit: I'm not having a go at the poster (who didn't bring this up), just the general idea of returning products user broken under warranty.

I knew somebody would say this...

Shure's website seems to have rather contradictory views on their coverage of damaged products, but ultimately, I think it's their call if they're going to repair/replace the earphones or not. There's no harm in sending them in.

Dec 12, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Who cares?!! IMO, its best to take advantage of the opportunity while you still can.
tongue.gif

Dec 12, 2005 at 8:41 PM Post #9 of 13
If you broke it, you are responsible for it. It has nothing to do with Shure. By returning items that you broke, you indirectly cause prices to go up on new retail models.

If everyone bought one, broke it, sent it in for repair, and Shure replaced it, they effectively cut their profits down. Now instead of supplying one pair of IEM's at (well give a nice easy price, of $100) they have to supply two pairs for the same amount of money. They will obviously drive up prices to recoup losses.

This is similar to buying a new BMW, smashing it into a fire hydrant, then returning it back to the dealer to have it repaird under warranty.

Ultimatly it is your call, but if you admit you cause the malfunction... it would be morally wrong to send it back. Now if you didn't do anyhting out of the ordinary (ordinary here is defined by what Shure consideres normal use, as stated in their warranty)... by all means send it back and have it fixed.

Dec 12, 2005 at 9:19 PM Post #10 of 13
Actually it's not as simple as a return causing Shure to supply 2 E2cs at $100. Businesses usually have an allotment of money for what they estimate will be for warranties. The original retail price usually takes this into consideration.

Dec 12, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

I dont see anything un-ethical about it... I mean its 2 cents in plastic, a $2 cable and the drivers are what... $15 max ? (speculative of course). My e2cs were $100, so they're probably not loosing any money on the deal. But I think its up to Shure's discression whether or not it qualifies as a warrantied repair. If its "obviously" user-damaged they have every right not to warranty the repair.

Garrett

Dec 12, 2005 at 10:20 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieFactory
Actually it's not as simple as a return causing Shure to supply 2 E2cs at $100. Businesses usually have an allotment of money for what they estimate will be for warranties. The original retail price usually takes this into consideration.

I was oversimplifying to get a point across...

One cannot deny that if Shure kept seeing profit decreases due to actions liek this, they will not seek to increase profits another way.

Dec 12, 2005 at 10:48 PM Post #13 of 13
Thanks for the advice, I think I'm going to try to send them back tomorrow.

I don't really see how at all this could be morally wrong. It's not as if I'm stealing a pair of headphones outright -I'm sending a broken product back for repair. kramer's price estimate sounds reasonable to me, as well as the thought that they factor in the cost of repairs.

Then again, I'm not exactly unbiased.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back