Uh oh....(Ok, I guess its nor THAT bad)
Jul 19, 2004 at 8:13 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
ummm...other solution is, try to find the cutest flight attendant onboard, and just check him/her out. might make you feel better..
biggrin.gif

Wonderful idea. And if you do find a really cute one, leave your seatbelt unfastened in hopes of getting him/her to come to you.
tongue.gif

(No, I've never done that. Just read about it. Honest.
600smile.gif
)

~KS

Jul 19, 2004 at 8:41 AM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by GokieKS
Wonderful idea. And if you do find a really cute one, leave your seatbelt unfastened in hopes of getting him/her to come to you.
tongue.gif

(No, I've never done that. Just read about it. Honest.
600smile.gif
)

~KS

Any luck getting them to actually fasten the seatbelt for you?

Jul 19, 2004 at 8:47 AM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by remilard

I've had them do that, but it was a long time ago and the level of customer satisfaction was MUCH higher. Once upon a time flying meant you were treated like a king instead of herded like a sheep!

Jul 19, 2004 at 9:29 AM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by remilard

I was actually serious when I said I've never tried it. ^^

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
I've had them do that, but it was a long time ago and the level of customer satisfaction was MUCH higher. Once upon a time flying meant you were treated like a king instead of herded like a sheep!

Once upon a time, an airline ticket costed more than a meal for two at a medium-level restaurant.
tongue.gif

I mean, you can fly Southwest Airlines for what, $30 nowadays?

~KS

Jul 19, 2004 at 9:52 AM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by GokieKS
I mean, you can fly Southwest Airlines for what, $30 nowadays?

Well, you can, I wouldn't go near them, talk about being herded like sheep!!!!

Jul 19, 2004 at 10:12 AM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by mclaren20
How does Valium work? My druggest suggested it, but Im a little hesitant.

Valium (Diazepam) and Xanax (Alprazolam) are anxiolytics. My understanding is that alprazolam has a shorter elimination half-life than diazepam. Their main side-effect is sedation. I wouldn't advise someone taking a sedating drug to drive until the effects have fully worn off for several hours. This might affect you at the other end, especially if you plan on driving from the airport!! If you have a crash while driving having taken one of these drugs and it is detected in your blood then you could be prosecuted for driving under the influence of drugs.

Propranolol is a beta-blocker and has anxiolytic effects without the sedation. This tends to be used for people suffering from panic attacks.

Jul 19, 2004 at 5:47 PM Post #23 of 31
Valium is very very weak in how it affects the body, though my friend has anxiety about flying and it is what he uses before he flies. I talked to him about it after I read this thread and he commented that he really doesn't feel any real side effects off his dose, he just is very much more easily deals with flying. Also he suggests always getting a window seat as odd as it sounds as don also suggested, just being able to look out the window and see what the plane is doing is incredibly reassuring.

And also keep in mind that flying is an incredibly incredibly safe way to travel, in fact it is more safe then driving.

Jul 19, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

I got my e2's ready, but somehow I dont think they will help me that much. Or will they?

I also have a fear of flying, and I find that my ER4's help a lot. I still get nervous, but not nearly as much when I've got them in.

I have a rather active imagination, and with all the noises that you hear in a typical flight, my brain works over-time coming up with doomsday scenarios. When I can filter all that noise out, it gives my mind something else to focus on, and then I don't freak myself out.

Quote:

Can I wear them on the way up without the pressure affecting me?

I usually have to pull them out a few times and clear my ears on take off and landing. Other than that, they're fine.

Another thing that I've done to help reduce my fear of flying, is to learn as much about the mechanics of flight as possible. Flying flight simulators, reading up on how the whole process works, etc. has really helped. So when the pilot makes a turn or changes altitude, or when we hit turbulence, I have a better understanding of what is happening, and I don't have to worry that something is going wrong.

In fact, a couple of weeks ago I took a flight back home (to Portland, OR) and actually enjoyed the flight a little. It has taken A LOT of flights to get to that point.

Now if someone could just do something about the a-holes who run these airlines, the whole process could actually be, dare I say it, fun!
rolleyes.gif

Jul 19, 2004 at 7:49 PM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Super-Gonzo
I have a rather active imagination, and with all the noises that you hear in a typical flight, my brain works over-time coming up with doomsday scenarios. When I can filter all that noise out, it gives my mind something else to focus on, and then I don't freak myself out.

Oh god, I do the same exact thing.
rolleyes.gif

This may be stupid, but we are always told to turn off all electronics during takeoff/landing. Do I really have to, or can I keep my PCDP and amp on?

Jul 19, 2004 at 10:33 PM Post #27 of 31
mclaren,

i sympathise with you, and hope all goes well, i too also have a severe phobia of flying (shakes, cold sweats, hyperventilating, full on panic attacks, the works) and becuase of this, i haven't left the country in 4 years (finally old enough not to get dragged on holiday by the parents)

i wouldn't want to be taking any sort of sedatives though if i were you, i had a neck injury a while back and had to take diazepam *a lot* over three days, and i was totally off my face, i remember nothing about those three days at all

Jul 21, 2004 at 3:57 AM Post #28 of 31
This may be stupid, but we are always told to turn off all electronics during takeoff/landing. Do I really have to, or can I keep my PCDP and amp on?

Jul 21, 2004 at 5:58 AM Post #29 of 31
Turn them off. Not because it affects the plane, but because if you have it on it will tick off the flight attendants. There is not a shred of evidence that suggests that consumer electronics, even cellphones and other 2-way radio devices, really interfere with flight controls or instruments but the airlines insist on having that paranoid requirement anyway. If a plane's controls and instruments can be affected that easily then that plane shouldn't be deemed flight-worthy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back