Uh oh...I think I'm getting the "-itis" guys (and gals)...
May 26, 2008 at 7:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mookowz13

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everybody, been lurking for a while but need some suggestions for an upgrade now. And yes, my wallet hurts already.

Currently I've got the ATH-A700s. Love them to death, but my ears are itching for more.

The lowdown: I almost use my Cowon X5 exclusively to listen to music, I don't run an amp. I listen to all genres from hardcore to top 40 and everything in between (classical, video game music, etc.).

What I'm looking for is the same warm, smooth sound the A700's bring to the table but hopefully with a less recessed midrange and the same (if not better) sound stage. Also more detailed and controlled bass would be great as well. Open or closed doesn't matter although I prefer closed.

I'd also prefer to continue running my X5 without an amp as I prefer my set up to be as minimal as possible but if you guys recommend it I'm open to suggestions on what to get as well.

My total cap for price is about $350 at the VERY top and would prefer to spend below $300 if possible. Also I've tried the DT 770's and I'm not a fan of that much bass so those are already out of the question.

Thanks in advance guys.

May 26, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #3 of 5
D2000 or AD900 are good options indeed.

x2 what Rednamalas1 said.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #4 of 5
BUMP.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, looking into the D2000s, also looking for more suggestions if there are any...

Also how about AKG 601's? I know they need an amp but how is their sound signature compared to the A700's?

May 27, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #5 of 5
The D2K's are easy to drive without an amp, and can be had for less than your budget if you shop wisely. Great phones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back