Uh... did anyone notice the HUGE price drop in HDTV sets this month?!?
Feb 1, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #16 of 35
I'm still waiting for a 40" lcd tv to sell under $1000, then I'll have a perfect room
biggrin.gif

Still rockin with my 14" tv
tongue.gif

Feb 1, 2006 at 7:50 AM Post #17 of 35
SED will be cheaper to produce per specific volume of production... unfortunately it not be until the end of the decade that SED meets volume of Plasma/LCD and those technologies will surely be cheaper/better (relative to their current iterations) by then. At least that's what I gather from reading the SED threads @ AVSforum

I'm getting a 50" Panny commercial plasma this year... to be replaced by SED whenever a 50-60" set dives under $5k, sometime in 2008 methinks.

Really that gigantic leap forward though, this SED thing. Can't wait. Going from an 8 year old 35" Sony CRT to a 50" Panny plasma will keep me happy for awhile though
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2006 at 7:57 AM Post #18 of 35
It should be noted that Plasma is reaching a practical size limit. At CES, I checked out that huge 103" Panasonic Plasma set. You could feel and hear the cold air coming out from behind it, as they had to actively air condition that thing to keep it from overheating and probably catching fire.

Of course, how many people could even fit that thing into their room, let alone through the door.

-Ed

Feb 1, 2006 at 10:38 AM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
They said the pricing of the production models will be competitive to current gen products.

Let's see how they actually do. I worked for Candescent who were trying to get FED to work. They burned through over $750 million and got nowhere... Hope it works out better for this round of players...
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2006 at 10:51 AM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
At CES, I checked out that huge 103" Panasonic Plasma set. You could feel and hear the cold air coming out from behind it, as they had to actively air condition that thing to keep it from overheating and probably catching fire.-Ed

...ah the secrets of prototypes, Ed; a very astute observation. All the large prototypes had some cooling systems; some better than others. Did you notice that the LG model was not making "blacks" because of this?
icon10.gif

Feb 1, 2006 at 2:56 PM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD
If you think prices are low now, wait after super bowl. That's when the huge drop occurs for most tv manufacturers.

I agree....traditionally, that is a great time to buy big screen TV's.

I also notice that there is a spike in big screen TV returns after the Super bowl

Feb 1, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Dangerous
Dude. The same 46" Samsung DLP HDTV I bought in May is now $800 less! That's a whopping 33% price drop. TVAuthority reflects the new pricing, Best Buy less so. Argh!

I've really enjoyed the last eight months of HDTV, but I probably would have waited had I known it would drop this much.

Dude. You're posting again!
eek.gif

The only thing that I don't like about SED is that I do not think that they will produce smaller versions. I think that they wanted to start out with a 50" and go up from there, leaving LCD for the small ones. I would be happy with something like the 37" ones they had at the Canon demo even though you would be hard pressed to appreciate the 1080P at that size. But it would be closer to an achievable budget for me.

Feb 1, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #26 of 35
Yep, if anyone's thinking about buying an HDTV, hold off. There's an oversupply imminent, and since the manufacturing process is getting easier too, the supply will outweigh the demand, and it's going to increase into the summer. Prices should hit an all-time low by fall. I know I'm waiting until then!
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #27 of 35
i bought my panny EDTV about 8 months ago, and even though the price has dropped about $800, i don't regret it one bit. there's no real reason to buy true HD plasma under 50", and by the time i have a place big enough for that, my ED will have a place on the bedroom wall (or ceiling
wink.gif
)

Feb 1, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #28 of 35
I went with a friend TV shopping and hadn't really studied the pictures on the LCD, DLP, and Plasma since I just went with the Plasma as a first choice in the living room. What I noticed was if your watching DLP and you scan your eyes quickly across the screen you can see the rainbow colors emerge in 3-D almost. With the LCD on quick moving objects you can tell they get pixilated quickly and are unclear. Then I saw the Phillips 42PF9630A/37 with the Ambilight... I though "What kind of gimmick is this" Mind you I didn't go in looking for a TV but left with the Phillips 42" for the bedroom. What sealed the deal was they had a "SuperBowl sale" and a cardboard stand to throw a football through and get an additional 9% off sale price. So what the hell... I took the throw made it in and walked out looking at my friend shaking my head cursing... He got one as well but didn't make the throw - ha! The Ambilight is actually cool for bedroom use to add some ambient light. After awhile it blends with the screens colors and brightness.. Who though that up? The SED sounds awesome. Speed speed !

Feb 1, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #29 of 35
Everything I've heard said that SED will still be premium priced. Plasma/LCD factories are churning out mass production levels of those displays, and it will be a few years before we see $2000 SEDS. Right now, people are buying $2000 Plasmas in droves.....and until SED can meet that price point, most people would not want to spend extra on SED no matter how nice it looks.

When has any new display technology come along and been cheaper than previous ones? Never. You can't beat the current economies of scale already in place

Feb 1, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire

The only thing that I don't like about SED is that I do not think that they will produce smaller versions. I think that they wanted to start out with a 50" and go up from there, leaving LCD for the small ones. I would be happy with something like the 37" ones they had at the Canon demo even though you would be hard pressed to appreciate the 1080P at that size. But it would be closer to an achievable budget for me.

The 37" Canon ones were 720P AFAIK.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back