Ugliest ear loops ever - HELP!
Oct 30, 2020 at 3:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

MaggotBrain

100+ Head-Fier
I have a finicky CA Polaris with a Effect Audio Leonidas cable that wouldn’t stick around my ears when hiking/running - so the hillbilly in me decided to buy $2 silicon loops on eBay and slap some electrical tape on them. They function okay but are a bit bulky and obviously look like doo-do. I know there must be more sophisticated options out there so if anyone knows, that would be great.

Attachments

• 80FBD05C-1502-4F7C-8A55-F388B90A2C9B.jpeg
    80FBD05C-1502-4F7C-8A55-F388B90A2C9B.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Oct 30, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #2 of 9
Use heat shrink tubing instead of electrical tape? You might even be able to forgo the loops altogether and shape the heat shrink while you heat it.

...Although my inner hillbilly enjoys the irony of the city slicker Polaris being held together with tape. I imagine those IEMs only play the sounds of various old V8s revving and smell vaguely of gasoline.

Oct 30, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #3 of 9
Use heat shrink tubing instead of electrical tape? You might even be able to forgo the loops altogether and shape the heat shrink while you heat it.

...Although my inner hillbilly enjoys the irony of the city slicker Polaris being held together with tape. I imagine those IEMs only play the sounds of various old V8s revving and smell vaguely of gasoline.
Haha! Sounds like a great idea. I will definitely try that. Thank you so much.

Oct 30, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #6 of 9
Haha! Sounds like a great idea. I will definitely try that. Thank you so much.
MB: Much respect to you. I would be to embarrassed to post that !!! LOL

My wife recently made me buy a trash compactor because she was mortified when she saw me jumping up and down on our overstuffed trash can, so yeah, I have no shame!

Nov 6, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #7 of 9
I have a finicky CA Polaris with a Effect Audio Leonidas cable that wouldn’t stick around my ears when hiking/running - so the hillbilly in me decided to buy $2 silicon loops on eBay and slap some electrical tape on them. They function okay but are a bit bulky and obviously look like doo-do. I know there must be more sophisticated options out there so if anyone knows, that would be great.

Did the heat shrink thing. Worked like a charm. Thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #8 of 9
I also added a guide wire - the twist tie you would get from a loaf of bread - into the heat shrink to form the ear loop and it neatly did the trick.
0C8F97B1-FB63-4E8F-B42A-C41EE3D5DF27.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #9 of 9
Nice! The twist tie still adds a little flavor of hillbilly. :Wink: Me likey.

Just be careful that if the twist tie wire breaks that it doesn't puncture the cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back