Ugh, iPod number 2 bites the dust
Dec 21, 2005 at 11:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

EdipisReks

Banned
some of you might remember that my 30 GB iPod died about 6 months ago. well, a couple months ago i got an iPod Photo from a friend for cheap, and that also just died, inexplicably. fortunately it's still under extended Applecare, and my friend is going to send it in for me since it's still under his name, but this sucks. being without an iPod, even for a brief amount of time, now that i'm used to having one again, is going to be a pain. if other players supported AAC and synced well with iTunes i would seriously think about switching, as i have had bad luck with my iPods.

Dec 21, 2005 at 11:37 PM Post #2 of 15
Ouch! Sorry to hear that, I do feel your pain. No access to an Apple Store nearby? They'll swap out with a new one on the spot.

Dec 22, 2005 at 12:15 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
I wonder if the 5G drive is more reliable.

so far the 5G hasn't crashed on me once, unlike that darn 3G which crapped 3 times - with 3 diff ipods!

Dec 22, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sahwnfras
Check out this program if you want a diff. player and keep itunes.

well, i need AAC, too. thanks, though.
Quote:

Originally Posted by vranswer
Ouch! Sorry to hear that, I do feel your pain. No access to an Apple Store nearby? They'll swap out with a new one on the spot.

there actually is one close by. while they even swap the 4G Photo? it would be nice to walk in with a broken 4G and walk out with a new 5G
wink.gif

Dec 22, 2005 at 11:15 PM Post #9 of 15
WELL????!!! Inquiring minds want to know. Do they have one in stock??

Dec 30, 2005 at 3:08 PM Post #10 of 15
well, they didn't have any in stock, but they suggested i use the iPod replacement form online. i just received a brand new 40 GB iPod. it is a 40 GB color, but it isn't marked as "iPod Photo", just as "iPod", so i'm guessing that these were made specifically to replace 40 GB Photos, as a 40 GB non-photo color iPod was never made for general release. it's been a while since i handled a brand new iPod, and i forgot how these suckers attracted fingerprints. all in all, i'm pretty pleased; turn around was about 4 days, including all shipping times, once i got the prepaid box to return my broken one (getting the intial box was somewhat delayed by Christmas).

Dec 30, 2005 at 4:21 PM Post #12 of 15
that's good news. a shame my 3G was way out of warranty - i know they probably would have given me a 4G as a replacement at least (do they still have refurb 3Gs in stock? oh well!)

Dec 30, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
that's good news. a shame my 3G was way out of warranty - i know they probably would have given me a 4G as a replacement at least (do they still have refurb 3Gs in stock? oh well!)

yeah, i had a 3G that died in june. really pissed me off, as it was 6 months out of warranty and i couldn't find the receipt for purchasing the extended apple care when that came out during the initial warranty period (i did find it subsequently, not that it did me much good). i don't think they have any refurb 3G iPods in stock anymore, so i'm sure they would have given you a 4G. think of it this way, though, you simply traded a broken 3G and cash for a 5G
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
well, they didn't have any in stock, but they suggested i use the iPod replacement form online. i just received a brand new 40 GB iPod. it is a 40 GB color, but it isn't marked as "iPod Photo", just as "iPod", so i'm guessing that these were made specifically to replace 40 GB Photos, as a 40 GB non-photo color iPod was never made for general release. it's been a while since i handled a brand new iPod, and i forgot how these suckers attracted fingerprints. all in all, i'm pretty pleased; turn around was about 4 days, including all shipping times, once i got the prepaid box to return my broken one (getting the intial box was somewhat delayed by Christmas).

Awesome. I just got a call from the Apple store in Houston that my replacement 1GB Shuffle was now ready to be picked up (old one had several issues). Since there are no more new 1GB Shuffles for sale - presumably pending release of new, smaller units - I'm quite gratified that I'll be getting mine back. Don't wanna have to replace my beloved DLO case
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Dec 31, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by vranswer
Awesome. I just got a call from the Apple store in Houston that my replacement 1GB Shuffle was now ready to be picked up (old one had several issues). Since there are no more new 1GB Shuffles for sale - presumably pending release of new, smaller units - I'm quite gratified that I'll be getting mine back. Don't wanna have to replace my beloved DLO case
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

i've really been thinking about picking up a shuffle. new ones might push me over the edge
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back