Ugh. Auzentech X-Meridian died (?), need new sound. (~$200)
Feb 24, 2009 at 10:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

7even

Head-Fier
Nothing certain yet, but my computer froze and when I rebooted, it was lacking an audio device. I rebooted again, still nothing. Optical outputs aren't glowing anymore
frown.gif
No idea what happened yet, going to try re-seating it in other slots, and messing with it later. Running my iPod Touch to the amp for now, ughh. I'm thinking $200ish max, sound card or DAC, both considered. I do have digital outputs on my mobo, so USB or Toslink or coax are all OK. The only thing I'm worried about is drivers, need 64-bit Vista drivers for sure.. I'm guessing onboard digital-out would be ok?

A while back, I was looking at the Zero DAC with the upgraded volume pot/op-amp for a second system that hasn't materialized yet; for some reason I remember comparing and preferring the Zero to the Zhaolu D3, but I'm not sure if I'm correct there. Or I should just get an Asus Xonar or a newer Auzen card like the Prelude..

I had an Auzentech X-Meridian with LM4562 opamps. Served me well for over a year and a half.. I only have a 2.1 system right now, no known plans to upgrade to surround sound.

In short, what should I be looking at? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks
smile.gif

EDIT: As an update, after a power outage (computer was asleep), my soundcard works as before. I wonder what's going on.

Feb 24, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #3 of 6
You could always grab a xonar STX for 179 on zipzoomfly or 199 on newegg. That What I would get if I was in your shoes.

Feb 24, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #4 of 6
Since you're asking for a recommendation on a new soundcard on "Head-Fi", I'd have to say either the Asus Xonar Essense STX or Auzentech Forte 7.1. I'm also currently using X-Meridian 7.1 with upgraded LM4562 OPAMPs and love it. So going with either card I mentioned would be a significant upgrade for you to pair with a headphone. That's at least what my own plan is...
wink.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #5 of 6
Whoa, the STX looked good but then I realized that yes, I'm on Head-Fi
biggrin.gif
and yes, it's designed for headphone listening - lacks a subwoofer output, which would be very useful for me.. The D2X still looks good though. Is the Auzen Forte really that good? For some reason I'm skeptical of a low-profile card.

Feb 25, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #6 of 6
the closest modern version of X-Meridian will be HT Omega Claro Plus, however you won't have the interchangable opamps on every channel, and the drivers aren't quite the same, but its the same CMI8788 and amazing musical sound

if you wanna change things up a bit, the X-Fi Prelude is a great alternative, very good SQ alongside the Meridian, you get interchangable front L/R opamps, and price is good, another X-Fi board I'd suggest is the X-Fi Elite Pro (good all-rounder as well)

good music SQ, the Onkyo SE-200PCI (or LTD variant) would be a nice pick, its around $200-$250 online (check AC2)

sort of a nice all-rounder would be the Xonar STX (while the Prelude is a good all-rounder as well, no hp amp)

absolute SQ would go to the E-MU 1820 (around $400, Creative Shop), although you'll have to deal with the professional drivers and some headaches with middleware

to summarize:

all-rounders:
X-Fi Elite Pro
X-Fi Prelude
HT Omega Claro Plus

all-rounders with hp amp:
Xonar STX

pure SQ:
SE-200PCI

Users who are viewing this thread

Back