UFC 62: Liddell vs. Sobral
Aug 24, 2006 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 84

Borat

Headphoneus Supremus
Any predictions/thoughts about the card this weekend?

I guess I'll go with Liddell over Babalu again. Although it wouldn't shock me to see it go the other way. Babalu is going to give Chuck a lot of trouble. But I see a TKO stoppage due to strikes in the 2nd round in favor of Liddell.

I also think Griffin will take a decision over Bonnar again. I'm really not that pumped about this fight despite the excitement after the first one. I like Griffin's sense of humor though.

I'm not as excited about the main event either now that the Liddell/Silva matchup is apparently off. That was the main reason to pull for Liddell. BTW, how dumb was Dana to announce the matchup at UFC 61 when the contracts were not even signed? You could tell a lot of planning went into that one.
rolleyes.gif
That on top of being duped into promoting PRIDE and Wanderlei Silva (internet searches skyrocketed after UFC 61) on the UFC stage. I applaud him wanting to give the fans what they want, but that was so stupid. Still, after sending Chuck to Japan three times, it's time for Sakakibara to return the favor.

Speaking of which, PRIDE's Bushido 12 will be airing Sunday on Fox Sports Net. It's an awesome card for a free event.

Aug 25, 2006 at 12:52 PM Post #2 of 84
Local Hooters is showing this free Saturday night, so may stop in later final matches........seems to be very weak card except for final two matches.
What is the big announcement by Dana White that is being hyped?

Also have to check TV Guide for Pride Bushido 12 on Fox Sport Net. If Liddel were to fight Silva I say he gets his clock cleaned, he embarassed UFC when he appeared on Pride to fight Maddog (Quinton ?) and was beaten so badly corner threw in white towel......while Dana White at announce table saying before match people will see UFC has best fighters in the world, he he.

Also watching UF4 The Comeback on Spike Tv Thursdays.........what a bloody mess that fight was last night!

Aug 25, 2006 at 2:14 PM Post #3 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
Any predictions/thoughts about the card this weekend?

I guess I'll go with Liddell over Babalu again. Although it wouldn't shock me to see it go the other way. Babalu is going to give Chuck a lot of trouble. But I see a TKO stoppage due to strikes in the 2nd round in favor of Liddell.

I also think Griffin will take a decision over Bonnar again. I'm really not that pumped about this fight despite the excitement after the first one. I like Griffin's sense of humor though.

I'm not as excited about the main event either now that the Liddell/Silva matchup is apparently off. That was the main reason to pull for Liddell. BTW, how dumb was Dana to announce the matchup at UFC 61 when the contracts were not even signed? You could tell a lot of planning went into that one.
rolleyes.gif
That on top of being duped into promoting PRIDE and Wanderlei Silva (internet searches skyrocketed after UFC 61) on the UFC stage. I applaud him wanting to give the fans what they want, but that was so stupid. Still, after sending Chuck to Japan three times, it's time for Sakakibara to return the favor.

Speaking of which, PRIDE's Bushido 12 will be airing Sunday on Fox Sports Net. It's an awesome card for a free event.

Silva doesn't want to fight Chuck. He wants to continue to be spoon fed mediocre Japanese competition so he looks a hell of a lot better than he actually is. They won't send anyone else because outside of Fedor and Noguiera at heavyweight, they have limited talent stock in other divisions. The UFC light heavyweight, middle and welterweights are superior, and growing.

My picks for UFC 61:
Lidell over Sobral - TKO3
Bonnar over Griffin - probably decision (thought he won the first one, too)
Neer over Diaz - 2-1 decision

The fight last night was quite a bloddy mess. I'm shocked they allowed Dewees to keep fighting with blood streaming off his head like that, but I'm glad they did. He was winning the fight and no one should be stopped for cuts that wants to keep fighting and is winning doing so.

Aug 25, 2006 at 4:01 PM Post #4 of 84
Not terribly excited about fight card for UFC 62, but may check it out at Hooter's as well....but probably not.

I was also surprised that let that TUF4 fight continue last night. At one point he was bleeding all over the other guy's face, effecting his vision...though it did seem like he was making an effort to avoid that. Glad they didn't stop it since he clearly won the fight.

Any predictions on who will go all the way in TUF4? Previous seaons, you could kind of tell who the dominate guys were, but since they all have a lot of experience this year, seems like anyone can take it.

Aug 25, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #5 of 84
Had that fight been at an acutal UFC even they would've stopped it long ago. I think there was no reason to go to a third round, Dewees had it won.

As for 62, the UFc cards just keep getting weaker. Not ordering or probably even watching this one, but Im going Liddlel over Sobral KO2 (althought id really like to see liddel get subbed), Bonnar over Griffin (Bonnar hungry with poor performances as of late) TKO3, Diaz over Neer decision.

Aug 26, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #6 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
What is the big announcement by Dana White that is being hyped?

The rumor is he will announce Ortiz/Shamrock 3, which will air for free on SpikeTV.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye
Silva doesn't want to fight Chuck. He wants to continue to be spoon fed mediocre Japanese competition so he looks a hell of a lot better than he actually is.

You think? The guy is about to fight CroCop for the second time in the GP. Why would he duck Liddell? I don't see it that way. I think PRIDE has no intentions of ever allowing any of their fighters to come into the Octagon to pay back the UFC. They used Dana and the UFC to promote their first event in the US and succeeded.

I went to the "Real Deal" press conference in Irvine last weekend and the American promoter (forgot his name) tried to feed the audience all this bull$h!t about how they approached Tim Sylvia to fight Fedor and he bitched out. I mean, I'm no Tim Sylvia fan, but I don't believe that for a second.

I also think they should've stopped that fight on TUF last night. That display only hurts MMA from becoming more accepted as a true sport. Any politician that wants to block possible future events from taking place in their state or whatever can just show that footage. This was on basic cable and Dewees' head was leaking blood like a faucet for 2 rounds. How was that not dangerous? I'm glad PRIDE has the rule of no elbows to the head.

Serra is doing a good job pushing his team. But constantly hearing his voice during the fights is grating on me. But it's also kind of funny though...

"BAM BAM, TAKE YOUR TIME! HAMMERFIST BAM BAM! PUSH DOWN THE KNEE AND PASS HIS GUARD! I'M LOUD AS F#%@ BAM BAM!"

tongue.gif

Aug 26, 2006 at 5:58 AM Post #7 of 84
Quote:

The rumor is he will announce Ortiz/Shamrock 3, which will air for free on SpikeTV.

You think? The guy is about to fight CroCop for the second time in the GP. Why would he duck Liddell? I don't see it that way. I think PRIDE has no intentions of ever allowing any of their fighters to come into the Octagon to pay back the UFC. They used Dana and the UFC to promote their first event in the US and succeeded.

I went to the "Real Deal" press conference in Irvine last weekend and the American promoter (forgot his name) tried to feed the audience all this bull$h!t about how they approached Tim Sylvia to fight Fedor and he bitched out. I mean, I'm no Tim Sylvia fan, but I don't believe that for a second.

I also think they should've stopped that fight on TUF last night. That display only hurts MMA from becoming more accepted as a true sport. Any politician that wants to block possible future events from taking place in their state or whatever can just show that footage. This was on basic cable and Dewees' head was leaking blood like a faucet for 2 rounds. How was that not dangerous? I'm glad PRIDE has the rule of no elbows to the head.

Serra is doing a good job pushing his team. But constantly hearing his voice during the fights is grating on me. But it's also kind of funny though...

"BAM BAM, TAKE YOUR TIME! HAMMERFIST BAM BAM! PUSH DOWN THE KNEE AND PASS HIS GUARD! I'M LOUD AS F#%@ BAM BAM!"

tongue.gif

Yippee, it was indeed Ortiz/Shamrock III. Thanks, Dana, that was the matchup I've waited my whole life for. Let's see Ken get beat for the third time by Ortiz. I thought the usual rule in trilogies is for there to be a split of the first two, not a double beatdown, followed by a pointless third.

The only win that talentless hack Shamrock has had in the last few years is a KO of Kimo "I failed my steroid test before Bas Rutten could kick my A**" Leopoldo. MESSAGE TO SHAMROCK: stop fighting before you ruin the last shred of credibility you conned people into thinking you ever had. GO AWAY...

As for Silva, yes, I do believe he is avoiding Lidell. This fight was hinted at quite a while ago and forgotten, and now, apparently, once again. I don't care who defends him, Crocop is way overated, and if I were in Silva shoes, fighting Crocop is the lesser of two evils. He's a one dimensional fighter.

I don't know if Tim Silvia would avoid Fedor, but if Dana White has a brain, he'd prevent that from happening. I can't see Silvia beating Fedor (I don't see anyone currently beating him for that matter). Before his injury, I thought Frank Mir and Fedor would make for a very intriguing matchup, but Mir is not back to anywhere near where he was, if he ever does get back to 100%.

I don't think allowing the fight to continue on TUF4 hurts the credibility of the sport. If anything, stopping fights where the fighter clearly is winning and willing to continue would hurt the credibility of the sport where it matters, with it's fans. No matter what spin anyone puts on it, it's hand to hand combat and violent, and blood is to be expected. If the cut doesn't pose a threat to the health of the fighter, as the doctor explained on the show, it shouldn't matter how bad it looks.
Any state that allows boxing, but bars MMA is showing their lack of understanding of the sports. Boxing is far more dangerous because of the sheer amount of punches a fighter will take during any one fight and throughout their career. In MMA, often one really good punch or kick can be enough. It looks worse, sure, but really isn't compared to getting hit anywhere on average between 100-200 times in a given boxing match.

Aug 26, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #8 of 84
Quote:

tongue.gif

I saw that on promo show last night on Spike TV........Shamrock said he was screwed by referee Herb Dean with fast stoppage. I think he has a point since he was not cut and instantly jumped to his feet after Ortiz dismounted, claims he was not hurt at that point. Also makes good point that as long time original fighter referee should allow very decisive victory or tap out.

That said Shamrock probably will be beaten again for 3rd time by Huntington Beach Bad Boy TITO, this time on free TV however so I will check it out in October.

Aug 27, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #9 of 84
Iceman made it short and sweet for babalu........only 1:35 in 1st round referee stopped fight as Sobral was being pummelled.

Didin't go to Hooters to watch but read that Tito Ortiz and Liddell exchanged words ringside setting stage for possible match after Ortiz/Shamrock III in October

Aug 27, 2006 at 4:15 PM Post #10 of 84
Yeah, I was really looking forward to Liddell vs. Silva...I think Silva would have been tougher than anyone the UFC could throw at Chuck..

Steve

Aug 27, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #11 of 84
Liddel crushed sobral.

diaz won

ya Ortiz vs. Shamrock in sept or oct... dont remember it will be free

and BJ penn is gonna fight hughes again! since George st.pierre has a groin injury

Aug 27, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #12 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Mauler
ya Ortiz vs. Shamrock in sept or oct... dont remember it will be free

Yeah, and worth every penny of it. I don't think anyone would pay to see Ken get gnp'ed by Tito again. I'm still bummed about Liddel/Silva not happening. I think Silva had the Iceman's #. Silva is one bad mofo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Mauler
BJ penn is gonna fight hughes again! since George st.pierre has a groin injury

This is finna be a throwdown..BJ dominated Hughes in their first fight, gave GSP a real hard time and put the smack down on Gomi (granted, a while ago). I like Hughes here but BJ could beat him again.

Steve

Aug 27, 2006 at 8:17 PM Post #13 of 84
Quote:

The only win that talentless hack Shamrock has had in the last few years is a KO of Kimo "I failed my steroid test before Bas Rutten could kick my A**" Leopoldo.

Yeah, I kind of lost respect for Ken after his TUF performance…He really brought nothing to the table for his team. A bodybuilding coach?? BAHAHAHAHA!! Remember the Ken vs. Franklin fight? Ken had some serious gyno going on from the years of steroid abuse.

Quote:

I don't know if Tim Silvia would avoid Fedor, but if Dana White has a brain, he'd prevent that from happening. I can't see Silvia beating Fedor (I don't see anyone currently beating him for that matter). Before his injury, I thought Frank Mir and Fedor would make for a very intriguing matchup, but Mir is not back to anywhere near where he was, if he ever does get back to 100%.

Ugh, the UFC heavyweight division is lacking compared to Pride…I bet anyone of the top 3 Pride heavyweights could come here and dominate the current UFC hw’s. Both Tim Silvia and Arlovski like Standup, none of them could hang with Crocop or Fedor..Big Nog would have a good time in the UFC too.

I don't think Tim Silvia would avoid Fedor, but he would get crushed..Frank Mir would get schooled by either one of the Emelianenko brothers. Wasn’t Mir grosly out of shape (fat) in his last UFC fight, UFC 61 I think?

Tonight's FSN Pride offering should be very nice..
biggrin.gif

Steve

Aug 27, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #14 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by desmoface
Tonight's FSN Pride offering should be very nice..
biggrin.gif

Steve

Yep...........Fox Sports Net has Pride Bushido 7PM EST in my area.

Quote:

I'm still bummed about Liddel/Silva not happening. I think Silva had the Iceman's #. Silva is one bad mofo.

I'm with you on this one.........if this fight ever happens Liddell will get his clock cleaned.

Aug 27, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #15 of 84
Well, I was close, except for the part about Babalu giving Chuck a hard time.
tongue.gif

Pride and the UFC need to work it out because no one in the UFC LHW division can pose a threat to Chuck. In order to settle who the best fighter in the world is at 205, we need to see him face Silva, Mauricio Shogun, Rogerio Nogueira, and Ricardo Arona. Chuck is 37 years old. It's now or never. Sakakibara and White need to make it happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back