UEtriplefi10pro/WestoneUM2/q-Jays/Livewire?
Oct 3, 2008 at 6:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

nwilliams

New Head-Fier
I've narrowed it down to this selection! Not very narrow I might add...but It's such a tough decision without having the luxury or hearing what you're getting before making the decision.

I've done my reading and haven't come to any conclusion since a big part of it is subjective.

I'm looking for something with presence in the low end, so bass is a definite factor. I'll be driving these through the output of a Macbook Pro with no amp.

Which are best suited for the above criteria?

Thanks

Oct 3, 2008 at 6:41 AM Post #2 of 27
is price a factor? you have quite a wide range of prices there, from q-jays at $180 to livewires at $250 to Westone um2s at $300 then UE 10 pros around $330 and up.

Oct 3, 2008 at 8:51 AM Post #4 of 27
I've only heard UM2s and q-Jays, so not really in a position to give a fair comparison of all four options, but my vote goes to the UM2s.

UM2s are VERY comfortable, and have great presence in the lower-end. Some people think they have a lack of treble, but that's all down to your own preference ... for me they are near to perfect (though due to sensitivity they do hiss slightly from some sources).

q-Jays are also pretty comfortable, but I found them a bit too bright and lacking in bass. They might have what could be called tighter bass - you get a quick punch but it doesn't linger around very long so doesn't seem very warm. On the plus side, I've never heard another earphone that has such a lack of hiss.

As I say, can't really comment on the other two, but I think with a spread of choice like that you're unlikely to hear many comments from people who have tried all four.

I'm pretty certain as this thread grows you'll get plenty of praise, and probably a bit of negative feedback, for all four options without any clear winner coming through.

Oct 3, 2008 at 11:39 AM Post #5 of 27
From what I've read in this forum, Um2 has good bass.

But if price is no issue, I'd vote for triple fi. From threads I've read that is the most acclaimed as one of the best universal fit phone along with shure se530.

I also ordered triple fi and should be getting it this morning!

Oct 3, 2008 at 11:45 AM Post #6 of 27
tf10 is either hit or miss in term of fit. if your ear canal too small, it wont have a good seal. tf10 has big bore diameter.

i will go for tf10 if it fit my canal but i dont take the risk cuz i cant test it
frown.gif

Oct 3, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #7 of 27
You might wanna add in SA6 into the list. Or Atrio M5. Cheaper choices with great sound.

Oct 3, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is price a factor? you have quite a wide range of prices there, from q-jays at $180 to livewires at $250 to Westone um2s at $300 then UE 10 pros around $330 and up.

Price isn't a factor within the mentioned choices. I won't go above the most expensive model in my list.

Quote:

Originally Posted by digivate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've only heard UM2s and q-Jays, so not really in a position to give a fair comparison of all four options, but my vote goes to the UM2s.

UM2s are VERY comfortable, and have great presence in the lower-end. Some people think they have a lack of treble, but that's all down to your own preference ... for me they are near to perfect (though due to sensitivity they do hiss slightly from some sources).

q-Jays are also pretty comfortable, but I found them a bit too bright and lacking in bass. They might have what could be called tighter bass - you get a quick punch but it doesn't linger around very long so doesn't seem very warm. On the plus side, I've never heard another earphone that has such a lack of hiss.

As I say, can't really comment on the other two, but I think with a spread of choice like that you're unlikely to hear many comments from people who have tried all four.

I'm pretty certain as this thread grows you'll get plenty of praise, and probably a bit of negative feedback, for all four options without any clear winner coming through.

Thanks, that helps! It also somewhat confirms what I thought. And yes, you're absolutely right...."without any clear winner coming through", but I thought I would gather as much feedback contributing to a more informed purchase.

Quote:

Originally Posted by straden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I've read in this forum, Um2 has good bass.

But if price is no issue, I'd vote for triple fi. From threads I've read that is the most acclaimed as one of the best universal fit phone along with shure se530.

I also ordered triple fi and should be getting it this morning!

The se530 seem a little more pricey than the others in my list, which is why I left them out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might wanna add in SA6 into the list. Or Atrio M5. Cheaper choices with great sound.

Not familiar with either, I'll check them out.

Oct 3, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you havent already, check ClieOs review thread, he has all the IEMs you mentioned compared. Of the universal fit IEMs, I think UM2, SA6 or q-Jays may be your best bet. The SE530 is also great sounding, but the cable issues are worrisome.

I'd say that the build issues with the SA6 are equally worrying. I thought that Shure have solved their cable issue by now, and it's also possible that Sleek Audio have also got to the root of their early problems. Let's hope so, as by all accounts when they work they're incredible.

Oct 4, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you havent already, check ClieOs review thread, he has all the IEMs you mentioned compared. Of the universal fit IEMs, I think UM2, SA6 or q-Jays may be your best bet. The SE530 is also great sounding, but the cable issues are worrisome.

Thanks for pointing this out...I hadn't read this post. Very informative.

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on the UE Triplefi10. Still debating over the UM2 and It seems the q-Jays are in a slightly inferior category than the two others..(It seems, but I could be wrong!).

The custom stuff i.e. Livewire seems a little complicated (imprints) and I've heard that with time your ears grow and the custom fit may not work well after a couple of years? Not sure if that's necessarily a consideration...and more importantly...I hope my ears don't grow that much!
Having said that; they're well priced for custom and seem very respected so it may be worth considering?

Oct 4, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #12 of 27
Listening to triple fi now, its SQ is above my expectation coming from shure e4c. However, my ear canal is little bit hurting in long time use. I need to find a better tip.

Wish I could try out Se530, fit and comfort is not perfect in stock for triple fi.
It seems its little better after flip mod but still not perfect fit.

Oct 4, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #13 of 27
Your canals do not change as fast over 18.

I have had mine 7 months. I am 15, so mine grow much faster, and they fit just like they did on day one. John said in 2-3yrs i may need a re-fit, so if you are older than me, probably 5 years+.

They have low end, and great highs, and are so comfortable, they just disappear.

Have a long read in the Livewires thread. Its 200 pages, but worth the read.

Ear impressions range from free in some cases, to $100, but most are $10-30. I live in the UK, so mine were £20/$40. If you have an audiologist near you it shouldn't be too hard.

I think you would like them. Great value for money.

Matt

Oct 4, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by straden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listening to triple fi now, its SQ is above my expectation coming from shure e4c. However, my ear canal is little bit hurting in long time use. I need to find a better tip.

Wish I could try out Se530, fit and comfort is not perfect in stock for triple fi.
It seems its little better after flip mod but still not perfect fit.

Do the "Jabada mod" on the Triples. It makes a big different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back