UE's new cable for Sf/Tf ... anyone tried?
Jan 20, 2009 at 6:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Hanafuda

500+ Head-Fier
I've got a warranty replacement cable coming for my Super.fi 5 Pro, and according to Tara (sp?) at UE the cable for the Super.fi series and Tf10's has changed. It is now available in black only (no longer black, white, or clear) and has a straight plug instead of the usual right-angle.

I smell Logitech.

Does anyone have this straight-plug cable yet? Is it a step down in quality, or merely different? I've currently got the clear cable, and while the insulating material (i.e. the tubing) is too stiff and kinky, I do like the quality of the actual cable (i.e. the metal), and I like the right-angle plug. I'm hoping the new cable will actually be an improvement, but I'm not holding my breath.

Jan 20, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #2 of 5
Straight plug? Ugh, probably Logitech. Straight plug means no stress relief, and if you smack it into something while it's in your player... *crack* goes your headphone jack. I've seen it happen before.
frown.gif

Jan 20, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #3 of 5
Just bought one. I had a black cable years ago when I first bought my SF5 Pro and that one cracked while under warranty (the IEM, not the cable). The replacement they sent me was also a black IEM, but the cable was thicker, clear and had stiff plastic around the ears.

That one had microphonics galore! Every step I took, I heard in my head. Forget about wearing sunglasses with it, it would rub against the hard plastic part and make it unbearable to try and listen to music.

A week ago I took the plunge because I was almost about to buy a W3 just to avoid the microphonics. Glad I did, because the new UE cable is softer, more flexible, and has much less microphonics than the clear cable. I don't really care one way or the other about the straight cable terminal, I just like the cable overall much better due to its resistance to microphonics (there's still a little, but it's very manageable...it's 90% quieter than the clear cable was).

I give this new cable a
beerchug.gif

Jan 20, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #4 of 5
My clear cable was replaced with the black straight cable a couple of months ago, I love it. It is more flexable and forgiving. My clear cable was stiff and showing a green oxidation which is why it was replaced.

Thanks UE!

I would not want to go back to the original clear cable.

My 2 cents

Jan 20, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #5 of 5
The new straight plug cable is good and acceptable for me, ex-'UM2 with ES2 cable' user.

I just wish it's angled plug since i'm not iPhone user... Angled plug is lower profile.

And if u dont like either cable, u can always upgrade it with other options. Jena, Null Audio, ES2 etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back