UE700 or Monster turbine or IE 7?
May 2, 2010 at 3:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Epsilon

New Head-Fier
I have read through reviews of all the 3 mentioned earphone but still can't decide on which to purchase. The 3 main factors that I'm interested in are noise isolation(since the earphone will be used for communting), Durability and sound quality. The warranty is also a concern. Monster offers 3years warranty whereas UE only 1year.

The UE700 is now on promotion so its only $119.99, Monster turbine at $106.98 and Sennheiser IE7 at $179 on Amazon. Considering the price over the factors, which should I get?

May 2, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #2 of 26
In terms of isolation, all three are not exactly the greatest. If you want excellent isolation you should go for Shure or Etymotic. However, I have the IE8 (which has the nearly the same isolation as the IE7) and for commuting they do isolate pretty well when set at an average volume.

There are other questions to be asked, however, such as which genres do you listen to, and what is more important to you (bass, midrange, speed, extension, soundstage, etc.). Additionally, I would also like to inform you that a pair of genuine Sennheiser IE7's are being sold on the trade forum for $100 shipped at the moment: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs...hipped-484930/

May 2, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #3 of 26
I think UE700 wilbe good pick at that price and sound quality is really good. But turbine are very solid built and they do bass very well with clear mids and highs.

May 2, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Epsilon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have read through reviews of all the 3 mentioned earphone but still can't decide on which to purchase. The 3 main factors that I'm interested in are noise isolation(since the earphone will be used for communting), Durability and sound quality. The warranty is also a concern. Monster offers 3years warranty whereas UE only 1year.

The UE700 is now on promotion so its only $119.99, Monster turbine at $106.98 and Sennheiser IE7 at $179 on Amazon. Considering the price over the factors, which should I get?

A lot depends on what source you're using. I have the UE700s and they sound horrible horrible horrible with my iPod Touch, hollow, thin and cold. But with my Sony X they sound better, thanks to the decent X eq and warmer sound in general. But I really wouldn't recommend getting them if you have a Touch. They sound plain weird, really!

The IE7 would be my choice out of those three (and I've had all three). They sound good, they're easy to drive, have a very nice soundstage and sounded good with my Fuze, Sony daps and Touch. The UE700's sounded like two different earphones on my X and Touch. I still can't believe how hard and cold they sounded with the Touch
confused_face(1).gif

May 2, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #5 of 26
If you're willing to spend $180, then I would recommend you go for the Monster Turbine Pro Gold. OneCall lists them for $280, but you can do a "My Price" and set a price for $180 and I believe that's the lowest that they would go. I currently have the Coppers rather than the Gold but from what I've heard, it seems that the Gold has a more prevelant bass compared to that of the Coppers. The Gold also comes with a lifetime warranty and a one-time replacement even if it's your fault.

May 2, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #6 of 26
Thanks for all the replies so far. I'm currently using Cowon S9 as my primary player and ipod touch as secondary. I initially wanted to get IE7 but was told that noise isolation is an issue. UE700 is using a dual driver so I'm quite interested in it but the durability is a mystery. Monster turbine I heard the cable is quite weak.

May 2, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Epsilon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all the replies so far. I'm currently using Cowon S9 as my primary player and ipod touch as secondary. I initially wanted to get IE7 but was told that noise isolation is an issue. UE700 is using a dual driver so I'm quite interested in it but the durability is a mystery. Monster turbine I heard the cable is quite weak.

Oh, if you have the S9 you should find the 700's quite a nice match. In my opinion they need something warmer to tame them as they can be very bright with the wrong source.

May 2, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #8 of 26
If you will not find Monster Turbine Pro Gold for decent price.
Look at Fischer Audio DBA-02.

May 2, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, if you have the S9 you should find the 700's quite a nice match. In my opinion they need something warmer to tame them as they can be very bright with the wrong source.

Isn't this the sort of problem that should be fixed with a good equalizer, rather than trying to match a DAP to the IEMs?

May 2, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #10 of 26
well every DAP has different sound signature, and for ipod is pretty hard to set your own eq as they are all preset

May 2, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by JxK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't this the sort of problem that should be fixed with a good equalizer,
rather than trying to match a DAP to the IEMs?

But most daps don't even have a decent equalizer so it's better to have a dap and IEM that complement each other (if possible) rather than have to use EQ to 'fix' something. In the case of the iPod Touch, the EQ presets are all horrible. As JeFFz said, each dap has its own sound signature. My Sony X and Touch sound nothing alike, and the S9 (which I also had) sounds quite different to both of them. It does have a decent EQ though (unlike the Touch).

May 2, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidVictory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In terms of isolation, all three are not exactly the greatest.

No comments about the rest of your post, but seriously? The UE700 isolate incredibly well, the small body of the earphone makes it so easy to shove into your ears, I can't imagine anybody having fit issues with them unlike many UE models. Once they go deep in and the silicone seals it up, the isolation is fantastic.

May 2, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #13 of 26
the ue700's block out a ton of noise, ahve a balanced sound with tight, smooth bass (coming from a bass player), and are extremely comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back