UE11, Westone, Or Fisher Custom Cable
Dec 11, 2009 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

xguntherc

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone. I was hoping for some input on a custom cable for my new customs I'm about to ship off. First off I LOVE the cable on my Westone 2 IEMs. They are near perfect, much better than the TF10 stock cable.

I'm getting my TF10 into customs, has anyone used the fisher audio custom cable, and how does it compare to the UE11 cable, also is the UE11 cable similar to the westone cable?? If I can get a westone custom cable on there site I might do that, but I might need the UE11 one to keep my sound sig.

Any advice on custom cables would be much appreciated

Thanks!

Dec 11, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #2 of 26
The only difference among them is build quality.

I like Fisher's clear cable. It's cheaper, looks nicer but not soft and flexible as the UE/Westone's. If you are happy with the Westone cable, there's no reason switching cables. Most of the custom cables come from the same OEM so reason like "keeping the sound sig" is not applicable here.

Dec 11, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #3 of 26
lil knight you have a fisher custom? is it a TF10, or something else? Also does fisher have a black cable, I don't want clear.

as long as the fisher cable has a similar design and braid as the westone/UE cable I'll probably just do that.. Although does the custom cable from westone have this same design and say westone on it?
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/W...es/y_split.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I'm either getting the westone, or just sticking to fisher

Dec 11, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #4 of 26
I have the SE530 remolded by them and the TF10 will be coming next month. Fisher's clear cable is the only one I'd get. If you want a black one, stick with the Westone, no reason to go with the Fisher cable.

And no, Fisher cable doesn't have the braiding like those of Westone/UE. It only has one strand like other stock cables.

4155278507_8732850734_d.jpg

Dec 11, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #6 of 26
Hard to say if it'll oxidize or not cos not many people here have it for a long time. According to them, the cables won't oxidize. It looks like the silvery stuff inside the cable is just the shield, not the conductor.

Dec 12, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #7 of 26
Well lil knight how is the fisher cables microphonics because the stock TF10 cable has it bad but the westone cable has none. So I want the westone UE braid for that reason. But if the fisher cable has no microphonics problems then I'll probably just use it. What ya think?

Dec 13, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #10 of 26
I read a small bit about UE connection problems. Not sure if that is just as likely with everything else but I think I'm going to get the Westone cable for it I guess. It seems best and I like the design

Jan 29, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #12 of 26
From UE/Logitech or Westone.

As for cable choice, I had both Westone and Fisher Clear, and I sent the Fisher clear back for a refund. I didn't use it but once, and to me, there is no comparison in terms of usefulness, I mean cable type. I have both the W2s (thanks to xguntherc) and the Custom Trips with the Westone cable. I felt the Fisher cable was too stiff, not what I like after getting used to Westone cables.

Of course, the Westone cable is $40 shipped and the Fisher cable is $20. Worth it to me.

I didn't do a sound check between the two really, but I can say I believe the Westone cable does change the TF10 sound sig a little. However, that's hard to determine because the sound differences may only be with the custom tips vs. hybrids. I did manage to plug the Westone cable ends into the stock TF10, and I felt it changed the sound from the stock phones, but to me for the better. Although I didn't listen long for fear of damaging the prongs (they don't fit the stock TF10s, as has been mentioned several times on other threads).

To me, if you like the Westone cable, you may not be happy with the Fisher cable, esp if as Lil Knight says, you want black.

Jan 29, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #13 of 26
Both of my Fisher cables have not held up after a very short period of time. Day 2 the pin was pulled out from its socket and now my other one (purchased two for two separate monitors) has developed a short in one channel. I ordered a UE cable and I will see how that goes. It will defiantly be softer.

Jan 29, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #14 of 26
Hmmm, not good. As I said, I returned by Fisher cable (used it once) because I didn't need it. They are supposed to be sending me a check for the refund, because crediting my card was somehow too complicated to do. Hope I get the check soon.

Jan 29, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #15 of 26
I forgot.. the area where the memory wire meets up with the connector, the whole insides pulled out (wire that connects to the pins).. it didnt effect the connection, but it is all floppy on that side of my head now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back