UE11 vs Ultrasone Edition 9s
Aug 16, 2007 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

robm321

Headphoneus Supremus
I need some isolation (girlfriend, kid). All my phones are as open as they get so far.

I know there may be 1 person who has both. From what I've read the isolation of the ed. 9 is mediocre at best and obviously the UE11 would be superior in that regard, but how close is the SQ?

Anyone?

Aug 16, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 12
UE11, as you dont seem to have any high end IEM's.

Aug 16, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #3 of 12
I have the Shure E500 but prefer the Ety since the treble is absolutely missing in the Shures. If I didn't listen to classical, I might be ok with it. but...

The UE11 would have to really blow the E500s away for me to be interested which is why I posed this question in the first place.

Aug 17, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #4 of 12
How is Edition 9 isolation mediocre when I don't hear one of my house-mates stretching his falsetto for practice (with music on at moderate volumes)? In comparison to IEMs is it not that great, but comparing to every single other closed can we have here its pretty damn good.

Aug 17, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is Edition 9 isolation mediocre when I don't hear one of my house-mates stretching his falsetto for practice (with music on at moderate volumes)? In comparison to IEMs is it not that great, but comparing to every single other closed can we have here its pretty damn good.

That's good news for me - I thought I read reviews that said it wasn't that great, but I could be wrong. That was the single reason I originally thought they wouldn't work for isolation very well when they originally came out. Isolation is what I need but would still like a reference can over an IEM unless the UE11 really can compete.

Aug 17, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #6 of 12
i have the shures se530 and dont find the highs missing at all i think the etys mite have ruined you a bit and in fact what you may have been hearing is an overdose of bass compared with the etys,i find the shures musically better and as far as whole frequency range goes flatter and more accurate sod the stats about accuracy,whats music without bass and warmth thats what i say,the ue 11 will not blow the e500 away because they simply both have more bass than the etys which will give the effect of recessed highs after extensive ety use i suppose what im saying is id take mids and lows over highs anyday as the mids is mainly what humans can here anyway,the shures have slightly rolled of highs yes no doubt but not no highs at all,far from,i know its not to the point and far from the point of the post but it seems as if all head fi users think about is harsh highs and no lows,even good classical music has its share of lows so without that its harsh and bland i also own the grado gs1000 and rs1's so i do hear the differences when i head up to them,but as far as isolating earphones go i do think the e500 kick up great fuss over the frequency range.the ue11 should smash them tho

Aug 17, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You are right.

If isolation is important, then an IEM is a must as most or all of the close headphones don't really isolate enough. I think the best is the HD280 Pro but it's still lose to IEM in terms of isolation.

Aug 17, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #8 of 12
I thought the E9's isolation was supposed to be good, perhaps even a selling point...

I have no idea myself, but that's one of the reasons it's on my radar.

Aug 17, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the E9's isolation was supposed to be good, perhaps even a selling point...

I have no idea myself, but that's one of the reasons it's on my radar.

Check up in the http://www.headphonereviews.org website.

The Ed9 Isolation (dB) is 10. It's still isolate but just that you still can hear outside sound unlike some is 20 ( all or most of the IEMs ) & HD280 Pro.

Aug 17, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #10 of 12
10dbs is pretty good. I don't need dead silence just enough to drown out the TV or computer speakers. So, how is the sound quality between the two... I may need to wait on that one.

Aug 17, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
10dbs is pretty good. I don't need dead silence just enough to drown out the TV or computer speakers. So, how is the sound quality between the two... I may need to wait on that one.

I only had the ed9. I think u won't regret buying it. I would say it's offer a very refined, not bright & harsh natural smooth sound. And I am still burnin it.
If only the sound isolate from outside. It should be much much better.
cool.gif

I had not listened to any other high end headphone as I am more of a portable person but the mids of the vintage HD530 is one of the best I had heard. Too bad, it's gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back