ue11-->SR-71
Jun 19, 2008 at 4:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Graz

500+ Head-Fier
So, I just dropped the cash for some ue11's (ear impressions went in the mail yesterday)...should have 'em back in a couple weeks...

The plan is to go: 5.5g imod-->SR-71 (which I already have)-->ue11

The question...
...is there any point in "upgrading" from the SR-71? The size reduction from SR-71 down to Predator or Tomahawk is really irrelevant to me... SQ-wise, is there any real point in going with either of these over the SR-71? Are the selectable gain choices for either of these really going to make all the much difference over the SR-71 with fixed gain?

I'm inclined to stick with what's been working just fine for me...but anyway, interestested to hear opinions...thanks!

Peace,

Graz

Jun 19, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #2 of 13
It seems like the SR71 is a well-regarded amplifier. If its physical features and sound sig work for you, I probably wouldn't be too eager to "upgrade" (if you want to call it that) ...

Jun 19, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...is there any point in "upgrading" from the SR-71?
Peace,

Graz

No. If you can handle the size, I've continued to find the SR71 the best performing portable amp to my ears.

I've owned the Corda2Move, Pico, Hornet M, and auditioned a burned in Predator and Hornet (original) at length. The SR71 is still the one to beat.

Jun 19, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #4 of 13
Not sure about the gain of your SR-71. I do know that the UE IEMs are very sensitive. When swapping my UE10pros with my HD650 (opposites in the sensitivity spectrum) on my Hornet, switching the gain makes the volume knob function better. In other words, with high gain on, if I use the HD650s, I can use most of the knob turning, but on that gain, the UEs (my ears actually) can only handle about 10% of the knob turning.

I would imagine that your SR-71 will not cause a hiss on your UE IEMs, some of the lesser portables can.

I would suggest that you hold on for now, and use your current amp. If you are happy with the sound, but unhappy with the volume control, and plan to keep both the IEMs and the amp, contacting Ray, he might can adust the gain for you on your amp, in a permanent fashion.

Jun 19, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #6 of 13
i have the ue-11 iems that i use with my sr-71,predator and tomahawk!
i highly recomend sending sr71 back to ray to have him lower gain to (2) which is just PERFECT! i use my ue-11>alo portable vcap dock>imod> headroom micro bag with alo connections!
i have tried just about every portable amp out there with (ue-11s) including both headamp portables,
,corda move,slee voyager,millett portable,xinsuper mini,macroIII
and the sr-71 is KING!!!!
adding the alo vcap dock brings it up another level!
i use my predator via usb to macbook which is awesome as well and sounds better than the dac in imod, but for easy transportable my imod set up is amazing!

Jun 20, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #7 of 13
Thanks for the input & suggestions...much appreciated. I'll give it a listen when the ue11's show up & see how it goes.
wink.gif

Jun 20, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #8 of 13
  1. Off-the-cuff gain manipulation to suit the myriad of headphones you may come across.
  2. Some have alluded to increased bass levels with the Predator
  3. The added benefit of a DAC if you're into computer audio
  4. Hassle free lithium rechargeable battery
  5. Color options for the aesthetically minded
  6. And the criteria you excluded as a meaningful benefit to you.........size

Caviot: Some of these added benefits may be available with the release of the SR-71A.

Jul 19, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #10 of 13
Well, all my gear's in order now:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/pi...ml#post4469027

...and I gotta say, I don't know why I ever worried about this. The SR-71 drives the ue11's with no problems whatsoever...not having gain choices is a non-issue. The thing is spooky-dead-quiet with plenty of volume control flexibility. The only issue is the audio is still slightly audible with the knob turned all the way down...not really a big deal. That aside, I'll be sticking with the SR-71...to my ears it's a perfect match.

Jul 19, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The thing is spooky-dead-quiet with plenty of volume control flexibility. The only issue is the audio is still slightly audible with the knob turned all the way down...not really a big deal.

Same here. Glad your enjoying your setup.

Jul 19, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same here. Glad your enjoying your setup.

It's almost like I'm hearing the SR-71 for the first time all over again...the ue11's are so intimate and revealing. I have new respect for this amp.

Peace,

Graz

Jul 20, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by decur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i use my predator via usb to macbook which is awesome as well and sounds better than the dac in imod, but for easy transportable my imod set up is amazing!

So you mean the predator usb dac is even better than a $1000 imod set up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back