UE10's or...?
Oct 20, 2005 at 5:58 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by yusar
I do
Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.
biggrin.gif

Xin Supermacro with Bass boost.

Because the amp doesn't make much of a difference and having the bass boost does make a different. Most DAPs are strong enough to power the UE-10s, so SM3 Bass boost makes a difference. I don't believe there other portable amps out there with Bass Boost, so I go with that one. And that is what I have with my UE-10s.

Oct 20, 2005 at 6:17 PM Post #18 of 30
How about build quality? What is the current concensus on UE10, 2x-s and the Westones? At 1k, custom built, one wants a one shot deal, not a back and forth. Are UE10's the best built? I'd take a hit in absolute sound for build quality, especially for phones that are a one shot deal. One can't really sell them.

Oct 20, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by labrat
Second that! Exept about the amp not making any difference.
And a cheap cmoy when you are willing to pay USD 900 for the IEM's?
That would not seem too smart, would it?
Get the SuperMacro, with the 4 option switches, and start look around for the best sound/opamp/adapter-combination to suit your tastes!
And be happy!

I dunno what to tell you Labrat, to me there is alittle difference with UE-10s with an amp. For fun I enjoy the EMP with UE-10s and gives a nice tube favor to the headphones which I enjoy but with SM3, I find the SQ increase as minimal. Little better bass and alittle more clarity. But this isn't night and day. More like after listening for a long time one can see alittle more detail and little more bass. With that said, I wouldn't go with a lower line portable headphone amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
Zanth,

Well there have been issues with the Sens 2xs, driver failing, and there warranty is only 6 months compared to 12 months for UEs. Westone’s there is only like two people here that have them. So isn't enough feedback. I would say more people have UE-10s then 2X's but I here more issues with 2X's. But then again 2X's used the softer compound from there units. I am not sure they do that anymore.

My personal experiences. Well with my UE-10s around my neck and having dropped them maybe 4 times in a period of 4 months. That is one drop a month. They are still fine. Again I use them all the time, they why they take the abuse. lol. But I didn't get them to keep in a box.

Oct 20, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
Well there have been issues with the Sens 2xs, driver failing, and there warranty is only 6 months compared to 12 months for UEs.

OK, I will say it once again- Sensaphonics have a 1 year warranty as well as UE's.
As far as drivers shorting out- seems to be no issues for the time being. Why don't we compare the amount of refits people here need to have to get the molds for UE's right. I mean, you could get your 2X's repaired by the time your UE's are being refitted if there was such an issue. Then again, it seems to be the end of "issues" with Sensaphonics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
But then again 2X's used the softer compound from there units. I am not sure they do that anymore.

Sensaphonics used hard acrylic in the past. They do not do it anymore as soft silicone is better.

I think I'll have some fun (got some extra money
biggrin.gif
) and will take the plunge for UE's next month. Funny thing is that it still seems to me I'll like the Sensaphonics and their sound signature better
very_evil_smiley.gif
. We'll see/hear
biggrin.gif

Oct 21, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #22 of 30
For clarification purposes, it looks like Sensaphonics changed their warranty policy. I wonder if this means it is effective for products purchased after 3-1 or that their policy changed as of 3-1?

Sensaphonics will repair malfunctioning products that are a result of manufacturing defects at no extra charge for one year after the date of purchase effective 3-1-2005.

Oct 21, 2005 at 2:51 AM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by root
OK, I will say it once again- Sensaphonics have a 1 year warranty as well as UE's.
As far as drivers shorting out- seems to be no issues for the time being. Why don't we compare the amount of refits people here need to have to get the molds for UE's right. I mean, you could get your 2X's repaired by the time your UE's are being refitted if there was such an issue. Then again, it seems to be the end of "issues" with Sensaphonics.

Sensaphonics used hard acrylic in the past. They do not do it anymore as soft silicone is better.

I think I'll have some fun (got some extra money
biggrin.gif
) and will take the plunge for UE's next month. Funny thing is that it still seems to me I'll like the Sensaphonics and their sound signature better
very_evil_smiley.gif
. We'll see/hear
biggrin.gif

Ahh, I love how the sensa users declare that they use the best material and have the most talented engineers.
rolleyes.gif

The only reason I didn't get the sensa's is because quite a few people here had shorting issues, while to UE10 users had no problems. I'm not investing all that money and the stupid thing fails after a year no matter how good they sound.

Oct 21, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #24 of 30
Aaaaaah, I love this!

You opened up one of the longest festering rivalries on head-fi:

The Sensa fan boys vs. the UE fan boys.

It is perhaps second only to the DAP debate (IPOD lemming whore vs. OTHER lemming) in filling the annals of head-fi with flame wars.

The fact that both groups are obsessed with their chosen device is an indication of how good both of them sound.

Be sure to keep that in mind whenever you read these things...

-Matt

Oct 21, 2005 at 12:04 PM Post #25 of 30
OK. I did not want to offend anyone and set out any flame wars whatsoever; if I had, I'm sorry, it wasn't my intention...

I was just trying to bring out to attention other IEM's and set them against the hype UE's seem to get here recently. C'mon- it is undisputable that Sensaphonics AND UE have had some problems: whether it were problems with drivers-Sensaphonics- (I guess they ended up though!) or the problems with refits-UE10's (some of the people here got it relatively perfect with the first set of molds, but most still have to get refits). Both UE's AND Sensaphonics AND Westone to boot are not the end of the world it seems. Peace
plainface.gif

Oct 21, 2005 at 12:18 PM Post #26 of 30
I don't agree that UE has more refit issues than Sensaphonics. Quite a few Sensa users here have needed multiple refits, as well. Lately, it seems more people are choosing UE's, and so if any of those people are having refit issues, it looks like it's a UE problem. Mike Dias told me that around 5% of their customers need a refit, and I believe it. Mine were perfect, and everyone I personally know who's gotten then has had them perfect.

I definitely don't think you should use the refit issue as a decision point. From what I've observed on these forums, there's really no significant difference in refit issues between the two companies. Get the phones you want, and if you need a refit you'll get it. It's another few weeks, but you're going to have the phones for a lot longer than that.

Oct 21, 2005 at 1:34 PM Post #27 of 30
I'm not trying to start a flame war either, but you guys are right that people who buy either of these IEM's become big fanboys.

I wanted the Sensa's so bad, I actually had the order placed... They're much cheaper, more comfortable, bigger soundstage, etc... And I'm sure i'd like the sound signature more... But too many people were having problems with shorting and it was clearly a result of the flexable material. If wires can move they will eventually break.

Back when I was looking at the Sensa's they only had a 6 month warranty which was clear to me that they didn't have confidence in their product. Things have changed a little since then, but I still am not comfortable knowing they're probably going to fail before I'd need to upgrade.

Hopefully i'm wrong because I would never want to see someone here loose out on a $750 investment under those circumstances.

Oct 21, 2005 at 1:53 PM Post #28 of 30
So they both have the same warranty now. News to me, I knew it was 6 months at some point.

All I am going to point out is more people have UE's then Sens. But I seen more posting about Sens. having issues then UE's. (less people - more issues)

That being the case, if I thought I wanted a warmer more bass unit, I would have goen with the Sens. 2x's. I wouldn't let a few people having acouple of issues stop me.

I do note that I emailed both companies before buying the IEMs. Asking questions about there products. UE returned my email the next day. Sens. took three days. Maybe I emailed them when they were busy. If I were buying these unit, I would contract both do the research and decide which IEM works for them.

-Chris

Oct 21, 2005 at 2:00 PM Post #29 of 30
hi, i can only tell about the ue-10.
i consider them as very good, very simple
smily_headphones1.gif

i had 2 refit's so far, and trying right now if the seal is perfect now, but i dont regret getting them for sure.

sensa did answer my first email very soon, but i never got an answer to the second email, or the third asking the same thing again.

ue on the other hand replied to the first email a little bit slower, but the email contact was there, and i got a reply for an email each time. although they are sometimes missing little things,
like last time, i asked to get a notice, when the ue-10 are delivered back to ue. they told me it wouldnt be a problem, but i havent got an email yet, and the ue-10 again back.

but well, you get an answer if you ask!

regards gordon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back