UE10-Pros to the UK
Jun 3, 2004 at 6:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

nkd

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of upgrading from my E5s to ultimate ears, but I can't find anything on the website about getting them sent here. I've tried emailing them, but always get a 'could not send' message. Anyone have any information on getting UEs outside of the US?

Jun 3, 2004 at 6:40 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkd
I'm thinking of upgrading from my E5s to ultimate ears, but I can't find anything on the website about getting them sent here. I've tried emailing them, but always get a 'could not send' message. Anyone have any information on getting UEs outside of the US?

I am in the UK and my Ultimate Ears UE-10 Pro are currently being made. There is no problem getting them sent directly to the UK, but you will pay full import duty and VAT. I was quoted $45 shipping (FedEx) but I am having them sent to a friend in the US who will ship them on to me.

There are several e-mails to contact them on and I've never has to wait more than 24 hours for a reply.

ultimate@ultimateears.com

These are the e-mails I have successfully used for contact.

The basic process has been:

1. Initial contact made to Mindy Harvey at Ultimate Ears who recommended an audiologist in London. I'm in Nottingham so I had them done locally.

2. Make audiologist appointment. Take the sheet about how to get impressions done with you. In the UK open mouth impressions aren't usually taken so I advise taking your own bite block. I had two sets of impressions made (in case one was better). Cost should be £20-40.

3. Send impressions with order form to Ultimate Ears by Royal Mail Airsure (£6.99) with tracking and should be there in 4-5 working days. Mine took 4 working days.

4. If you can get the final product shipped to a friend or relative in the US who then ships them on to you so you can reduce/eliminate import duty.

The best bet is to get good advice from Mindy or Sherry on what is the best product for you before getting your impressions done. They are very friendly and will treat you really well.

If you have any more questions post them here or feel free to PM me.

Jun 3, 2004 at 6:42 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkd

Mr BigD is from the UK and has ordered UE-10s. I am also in the UK and am about to order UE-5Cs.

I have never had any problem with email address :
ultimate@ultimateears.com

Whats the problem ? You just order them and they ship them !

Jun 3, 2004 at 7:14 PM Post #5 of 10
I'll try again from hotmail. Maybe it's my mail server...

Shame, I was almost hoping I'd have to fly to Vegas to get them
biggrin.gif

Jun 3, 2004 at 7:45 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big D
I In the UK open mouth impressions aren't usually taken so I advise taking your own bite block.

I am not too sure what to use as a bite block. Anyway i am farily confident i can keep my jaw open fairly steadily for a few minutes without moving it. I think that using combinations of 2 fingers at differing angles would make a good bite block as a safeguard.

Jun 3, 2004 at 9:31 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by penbat
I am not too sure what to use as a bite block. Anyway i am farily confident i can keep my jaw open fairly steadily for a few minutes without moving it. I think that using combinations of 2 fingers at differing angles would make a good bite block as a safeguard.

Maybe you can, but I would recommend trying it at home with a stopwatch. It could be as much as 5 minutes you need to keep your jaw still, especially if one ear is done while the other is still setting. Try a large marker pen but as far back as you can make it go comfortably, without distorting the angle of the mouth.

Even with a bite block it is really difficult to swallow your saliva and keep your tongue and mouth still. Remember that the quality of the impressions is vital and UE can only make the final product as well fitting as your impressions.

Jun 3, 2004 at 11:43 PM Post #8 of 10
Hi Penbat --

I had my impressions taken without a bite block. They came out perfectly but you would be amazed how long a few minutes is with your mouth wide open -- especially since they do one ear at a time. The problem is finding something that works that doesn't distort your impression. If you can't find something at home I say go and hold your mouth open. It worked for me! And now that you are a bit prepared for the experience you'll have a leg up.

When are you ordering your UE5cs? Head-fi NEEDS more people like us to get the word out about these wonderful 'phones!
etysmile.gif

Jun 4, 2004 at 6:40 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by random person
Hi Penbat --

I had my impressions taken without a bite block. They came out perfectly but you would be amazed how long a few minutes is with your mouth wide open -- especially since they do one ear at a time. The problem is finding something that works that doesn't distort your impression. If you can't find something at home I say go and hold your mouth open. It worked for me! And now that you are a bit prepared for the experience you'll have a leg up.

When are you ordering your UE5cs? Head-fi NEEDS more people like us to get the word out about these wonderful 'phones!
etysmile.gif

RP, I'm impressed that you were able to do it and not move!

I think you are doing a good enough job of spreading the word yourself!!
icon10.gif

Jun 4, 2004 at 9:05 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by random person
Hi Penbat --

etysmile.gif

Seems to me that a finger lodged sideways in the mouth is probably as good as a marker pen.

I have an appointment for impressions in 10 days time. Then i will get them shipped to the US. Yes us UE-5C fans should stick to together and not get bullied by the UE-10 fans ! LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back