UE10 Pro question
Nov 16, 2004 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

vienna

Head-Fier
I just got my UE-10Pro. One thing, and the only thing I am disappointed by is hthe microphonics of the ear peices themselves. For instnace, when I jump or walk, I hear it. The cord is microphonic as well, not as much as an ety, but the Shure E2c where not at all.

But then again the sound of te UE-10Pros just blow me away. Now, the big question is how do performers put up with the microphonics when on stage ??

Is this normal ??

Nov 16, 2004 at 5:18 PM Post #2 of 12
The occlusion effect when running & jumping is always going to be there regardless of whether or not it's custom or not. Although a tighter fit with less chance for vibration will reduce that somewhat. UE-10 Pro's hard acrylic case, however, will probably never get you that. Still, the least of all, the occlusion should be no worse than what you experience with E2c. If you're experiencing more than that, you might have a fit problem.

As far as the microphonic effect, I've noted this before... the extra large "plug" design of the cord is a cause of this.. as you move around, the plug portion just isn't flexible enough, it sorta pulls on everything else, and especially if you're wearing glasses. You should not be experiencing microphonics from any other portion.

How do on-stage musicians deal with it? The same way we do. That's why some on-stage musicians still dislike using them... However, those who needs to move around or care about their hearing protection is more than willing to make the trade-off.

Nov 16, 2004 at 5:34 PM Post #3 of 12
thanks. I'm guess the huge mass and the fact they are acrylic don;t help. The E2cs were great to work out with since they were foam (compressed) and were ver small and light.

So the quetsion is, will UE5c which I plan to get next month for hte gym have this issue ??

Anyhow, I am completely happy with the UE-10C. I'm amazed by the uction effect which it has on both ears when trying to pull them out. None of my Shures or Etys ever had that type of "pop" when I took them out.

Nov 16, 2004 at 5:43 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by vienna
So the quetsion is, will UE5c which I plan to get next month for hte gym have this issue ??

Yes, they're exactly the same physical design.

Nov 16, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #5 of 12
Actually, they are smaller if you are not aware of it. There is a review as well that shows the pictures. Plus dual drivers low frequenct vs just two (one ofr low and one for highs)

Nov 16, 2004 at 7:48 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Actually, they are smaller if you are not aware of it. There is a review as well that shows the pictures. Plus dual drivers low frequenct vs just two (one ofr low and one for highs)

Yes, I had both of them, I'm well aware. UE5c is a little bit smaller, but the general size is the same. The realistic size differences between them is a few centimeter, maybe even millimeter depending on the size of your ears. The UE-10 Pro just has more components crammed into almost the same space.

The size difference is obviously not what goes into your ear, they're customized to your ear shape. The size difference is the outer casing portion which is a little, tiny, ever so-small margin, slimmer than the UE-10Pro.

Nov 16, 2004 at 7:53 PM Post #7 of 12
funny hting is, I htink your phone and amp tastes are along what I have as well. I need to update my signature. Scary how similar it is.

Nov 16, 2004 at 7:55 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

funny hting is, I htink your phone and amp tastes are along what I have as well. I need to update my signature. Scary how similar it is.

Sad to say this, and with the least amount of offense as possible, if your taste is really the same as mine, then you should've never purchased UE's.

Nov 16, 2004 at 8:05 PM Post #9 of 12
but you did...

And from your comparison I understood that the difference between the ue10 and the sensa's is minimal at best...?

Nov 16, 2004 at 8:12 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aptmunich
but you did...

And from your comparison I understood that the difference between the ue10 and the sensa's is minimal at best...?

I did it for the sake of the community, and UE-10 Pro ended up sitting in my drawer for indefinite amount of time before it just cracked on its own. That's about how much I liked it from a personal point of view.

Technically, both will perform very well in terms of instrument reproduction, separation, accuracy and so on.. so forth; however technical competency doesn't mean there isn't a different in sound signature. The sound signature of the 2X-S is decidely warmer (or you can that UE-10 Pro is really towards the cold side, because 2X-S is still not warm like the HD650, in comparison is rather more netural), more organic, and more musical than the UE-10 Pro.

Without having them side-by-side in comparison, if you got either UE-10 Pro or 2X-S, you would think that you've got the greatest IEM ever. If you had both of them to compare side-by-side, there will most definitely be a preference towards one or the other. My preference is with 2X-S.

On top of that, you've got a softer, more comfortable material with a tighter fit... as well as $200 in your pocket.

Nov 16, 2004 at 11:39 PM Post #11 of 12
Vienna, a great way to reduce cord noise is to get the UE's snug on your ear, and bring the cord down UNDERNEATH your shirt, if it's feasible. I use the UE's at the gym, and I bring them down the front, underneath my T-shirt--works great, cord noise gone (there is no way to get rid of the sounds due to occlusion that I know of, such as your feet hitting a hard surface. Not an issue for me though--I don't, for example, use a treadmill anymore as my ankles are shot from too many basketball induced sprains. But an elliptical is fantastic with the UE's). When I'm sitting around home, there's no need to do this--it's only during activity that I bring the cord underneath my shirt.

As for the glasses, I've found that if you take your glasses off, put the UE's on, then put your glasses on, this takes care of that issue (at least for me). If you put the UE's in with your glasses on, the cord noise is an issue.

Nov 17, 2004 at 3:15 AM Post #12 of 12
I've had minor trouble with microphonics with eyeglasses. This has been remedied as dmt1 describes. Other than that, I have had no microphonic issues whatsoever. Try some different adjustments of the memory wire so it conforms nicely with your head/ears....and maybe more importantly...slide the little doohickey in the back so that it is nearly snug against the back of your head once your UE's are installed. This will also help.....and give a very secure fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back