UE10-Pro or 2X-S?
Feb 18, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #31 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by chumley
I've had them both, and I still use the UE-10 Pros a LOT... what I first thought was a tad of upper-end brittleness has disappeared; smooth, liquid highs, lows and mids; better soundstage, detail and overasll articulation, as well as bass that's ALL there... and I * like * my Grado PS-1's bass, as is.

All things considered, I prefer the UE product, service, design and construction, and, most all, the UE-10 Pro's sound over the Sensas... EASILY worth the extra $$, IMO.

How come you haven't spoken out before. What a prefect review. Short and to the point. No questions on which one you prefer. I can't wait for mine. Crap now I just need a pair of PS-1.

Feb 18, 2005 at 12:15 AM Post #32 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
How come you haven't spoken out before. What a prefect review. Short and to the point. No questions on which one you prefer. I can't wait for mine. Crap now I just need a pair of PS-1.

Sorry about that... I've been working on a new audio client's database and just happened across this thread an hour ago... gotta pay for a new Dynahi somehow...
icon10.gif

Feb 18, 2005 at 1:39 AM Post #33 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by chumley
I've had them both, and I still use the UE-10 Pros a LOT... what I first thought was a tad of upper-end brittleness has disappeared; smooth, liquid highs, lows and mids; better soundstage, detail and overasll articulation, as well as bass that's ALL there... and I * like * my Grado PS-1's bass, as is.

All things considered, I prefer the UE product, service, design and construction, and, most all, the UE-10 Pro's sound over the Sensas... EASILY worth the extra $$, IMO.

Well in my case the cost will be identical (I paid $1155 for the Sensas) so that's out of the equation completely.

Anyway, it looks like I will be getting the UE-10 Pro's after all - I just got off the phone with a very helpful guy at UE (Michael, I believe) and I think that's the way I want to go. Especially considering the 10-14 day turn around time for the UEs, as opposed to Sensas' 6-8 weeks (plus the two I've already waited, so 8-10 weeks total) ... I'm supposed to hear back from the Sensa rep about getting a breakaway cable 2X-S and having it re-done to teflon at a later date, but I suspect that won't even be an option (if the teflon in question is the part that extends from the earpiece to the breakaway point, they won't even be able make the breakaway option!) ... Oh well, I'll post back once I get a final answer. Thanks again for all the constructive opinions ...

Feb 18, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #34 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by mavis
Well in my case the cost will be identical (I paid $1155 for the Sensas) so that's out of the equation completely.

A ... Oh well, I'll post back once I get a final answer. Thanks again for all the constructive opinions ...

You are currently using Shure e5c, And sensaphonics is a much more refined Shure e5c which you will probably enjoy very much. UE10-pro will be in a totally different sound signature. Unless you like how Ety sound, you will be in for a surprise with UE10-Pro

Feb 18, 2005 at 3:00 AM Post #35 of 130
I'm thinking you might have spoke with Mike Dias. Mike is very helpful indeed. UE's customer service has been great. Waiting to get my UE10s back from a refit. The waiting is the hardest part.....

Waiting 6-8 weeks for the Sensas would kill me.

Looking forward to iamdone's opinionated mini review, nothing like getting down to business.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mavis

Anyway, it looks like I will be getting the UE-10 Pro's after all - I just got off the phone with a very helpful guy at UE (Michael, I believe) and I think that's the way I want to go. Especially considering the 10-14 day turn around time for the UEs, as opposed to Sensas' 6-8 weeks (plus the two I've already waited, so 8-10 weeks total) ... I'm supposed to hear back from the Sensa rep about getting a breakaway cable 2X-S and having it re-done to teflon at a later date, but I suspect that won't even be an option (if the teflon in question is the part that extends from the earpiece to the breakaway point, they won't even be able make the breakaway option!) ... Oh well, I'll post back once I get a final answer. Thanks again for all the constructive opinions ...

Feb 18, 2005 at 3:56 AM Post #36 of 130
Greetings to the group. Thanks for the helpful discussion.

The present quote from Sensaphonic for the Prophonic 2X-S is 4 to 6 weeks for the one-piece teflon cable. If you chose to go the BreakAway cable option (which is a two-piece combination), you are only looking at a 10-14 days.

There is an advantage to the BreakAway Cable. Should you accidentally damage the cable, it is easily replaced. You also can order a custom length for a second cable. The normal BreakAway Cable itself is 36".

Doris in Customer Service is going to check with Michael on Monday to see if the BreakAway Cable can be replaced at a later date with the teflon cable. I'll give you a report back, after she calls me with the details.

They are hoping for a shipment from their teflon cable supplier on February 28th. Here's hoping for all of us.

I have had a very enjoyable experience in working with the Customer Service Department at Sensaphonic. Doris is very polite and if she does not know the answer, she will call the Technical Department while you hold, to get the answer you need. I like having that personal relationship that the phone call provides. They have a toll-free number in Chicago.

A big thanks to lindrone for his tireless efforts for the many reviews he has posted. They were a big help to me in making the right decision, especially when you cannot see the actual product at your local store. His mastery of the English language helps to understand almost any concern. And the side-by-side pictures are a nice touch, too.

Feb 18, 2005 at 4:33 AM Post #37 of 130
One thing I had not seen mentioned. Everyone comments on the sound charactoristics of the two phones, but no one mentions what type of music they listen with. Is one canalphone better at certain types music than the other? For example, most headfiers think Grado's are better for Rock and Senns are better for Classical and Jazz. Is the same situation maybe true of the two canal phones we are discussing in this thread? Thanks

Feb 18, 2005 at 4:49 AM Post #38 of 130
I dont have the sensas but I do have the UE-10's. And I dont know which one you would prefer if you had the ability to compare the two,(which you wouldnt be able to do properly without buying them both), but I will assure you, you wont be disapointed with UE-10's. They are great phones, easily driven (13 ohms or something) and most important, excellent customer service. And I mean excellent. They will always do whatever they can to make you happy.

Feb 18, 2005 at 5:11 AM Post #39 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kieran Comito
One thing I had not seen mentioned. Everyone comments on the sound charactoristics of the two phones, but no one mentions what type of music they listen with. Is one canalphone better at certain types music than the other? For example, most headfiers think Grado's are better for Rock and Senns are better for Classical and Jazz. Is the same situation maybe true of the two canal phones we are discussing in this thread? Thanks

Kieran Comito:

You and I have the same headphone amplifier and I can say for certain that my source component is up to the task of reproducing a very smooth, natural, and musical sound replete with low-level information and immediacy. To answer your question, the answer is it is irrelevant given that the Ue-10 PRO provides exceptional transparancy per se. That is, I have found that these expensive custom IEMs are my best listening tools to gauge the quality of the source material and every change that I make in My All American Reference System. When I decided to purchase the Ringmat Statmat CDi Blue tweak based on extensive research (and a little faith), I was astounded how much the advertisement for the tweak was true. I could indeed hear a cleaner, crisper sound that had greater resolution and separation along with a slightly wider and far more penetrating soundstage. Furthermore, the PRAT became far more precise with more accurate relative level and timing along with a more spacious aura of ambience or air. It should also be mentioned that my Grado SR-60 cans are not resolved enough to make much of a difference with or without the Statmat CDi Blue.

I listen to a very wide range of music from rock 'n roll, heavy metal, pop, classical, opera, jazz, vocalists, new age, Irish, Broadway, country, and even some rhythm and blues along with folk. I like artists from Elton John to Beethoven and Bach to even Yanni or Enya. The Ue-10 PRO are so exceptionally transparant that the music sounds so smooth, natural, and precise so long as the source material has been carefully mastered and the source component is of sufficient quality as to extract low-level information and immediacy with little to no signal loss or colorations.

I think you would be a good candidate for the Ue-10 PRO based on your profile and your existing rig. However, I digress. Back to the music!
cool.gif

Feb 18, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #40 of 130
I don't know about me being a good canidate based on my profile and my existing rig. I mean If I were to get the UE-10, I wouldn't be using it in my main rig much, I would use more for portable. You said basically the UE-10s are great as long as the source component is of sufficient quality. Well, Portable sources are not very good so where does that leave us? I am just after the best possible portable sound I can find. Right now I have the Ray Samuels SR-71 and Ety 4s. I like the combo a lot, but I am very interested in trying either the Sensaphonics or the UE-10s.

Feb 18, 2005 at 5:45 AM Post #41 of 130
I can tell you that the sensa are not that great for rock. They've got bass down ok with the quick punch but the mids are too relaxed. I don't like the way the handle electric guitar. They have a way of smoothing over the sound so there is no edge. I'd prefer a clearer sound.

I have an ipod w/lossless files and a SR-71 amp. This is how I mostly listen to the sensa and how I will listen to the ue10 when I get them. I'll also try them with my emu-1212 and PPA w/diamond buffer as well. I think many people use their ue10 with portable setups as well.

Feb 18, 2005 at 6:01 AM Post #42 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
I can tell you that the sensa are not that great for rock. They've got bass down ok with the quick punch but the mids are too relaxed. I don't like the way the handle electric guitar. They have a way of smoothing over the sound so there is no edge. I'd prefer a clearer sound.

I don't know if you can say that, especially given that you once considered HD650's good enough for rock...
wink.gif

When it comes down to it, compared to Grados, *nothing* is better for rock. If that's going to be your benchmark for measuring how well a headphone performs in rock, nothing is going to match it pound for pound. Perhaps UE-10 will be more fit due to sharper trebles and closed in midrange, but it's no Grado still.

Sensa is very balanced, it performs great with all genre, but if you want to compare it against any headphone that excels in specific genre, I'm sure you'll be able to find something that'll beat it. Same goes with every headphone. Grados are great for rock, that much is proven, but I wouldn't listen to anything else with it.

Feb 18, 2005 at 6:16 AM Post #43 of 130
can those with the UE-10 Pro comment on a couple comfort issues? from the pictures i've seen of them in the ear, it appears the plug connection of the cord to the earpiece presses against the side of the head, just in front of the ear... is this the case? is it a noticeable pressure, or just barely rests there?

also, how comfortably does the "memory" cord wrap around the ear? when i spent a week or so with the shure E5, i could not stand the cord. i couldn't get the cord to hold the bend, and wound up with the cord sort of up and out from my head. is the UE-10 like this? i visited Sensaphonics, and listened to their universal fit. they also had a set of the custom fit 2xs out as a representative sample. i put them against my ears, and let the teflon cord hook around my ear, and i really liked the feel of it. the cord is very thin and light, and seems to really want to fall into place, or rather, curl into place.

i am temped to go with the sensa for the cord and potentially added comfort of the soft silicon, despite my reservations about the sound signature. i had also been demo-ing the ER-4P, and really liked them, minus the "thinness." however, after hearing the bass of the sensa, i knew i couldn't live with the ER-4. i never really warmed up to the shure. i couldn't get a good fit with the cord, and i found them kind of muffled sounding. i also never got the great bass everyone mentions... the low end of the universal fit sensa sounded like a very tight, accurate sub to my ears. the shure didn't sound remotely the same.

thanks for your thoughts,
phil

Feb 18, 2005 at 6:34 AM Post #44 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoPhil
can those with the UE-10 Pro comment on a couple comfort issues? from the pictures i've seen of them in the ear, it appears the plug connection of the cord to the earpiece presses against the side of the head, just in front of the ear... is this the case? is it a noticeable pressure, or just barely rests there?

also, how comfortably does the "memory" cord wrap around the ear? when i spent a week or so with the shure E5, i could not stand the cord. i couldn't get the cord to hold the bend, and wound up with the cord sort of up and out from my head. is the UE-10 like this? i visited Sensaphonics, and listened to their universal fit. they also had a set of the custom fit 2xs out as a representative sample. i put them against my ears, and let the teflon cord hook around my ear, and i really liked the feel of it. the cord is very thin and light, and seems to really want to fall into place, or rather, curl into place.

i am temped to go with the sensa for the cord and potentially added comfort of the soft silicon, despite my reservations about the sound signature. i had also been demo-ing the ER-4P, and really liked them, minus the "thinness." however, after hearing the bass of the sensa, i knew i couldn't live with the ER-4. i never really warmed up to the shure. i couldn't get a good fit with the cord, and i found them kind of muffled sounding. i also never got the great bass everyone mentions... the low end of the universal fit sensa sounded like a very tight, accurate sub to my ears. the shure didn't sound remotely the same.

thanks for your thoughts,
phil

Hi Phil, Sensaphonics is no doubt very comfortable. Actually I find that ER-4P to have similar sound signature as Sensaphonics. SO if you are used to ER-4P, I think you still can get used to Sensaphonics pretty easy. Sensaphonics only a little bit less high compared to ER-4P, but Sensaphonics sounds muddy compared to ER-4S.

It's more like shure but a lot better. Bass Department there is no doubt, tight, deep, very-very nice.

Feb 18, 2005 at 6:52 AM Post #45 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlingo
Sensaphonics only a little bit less high compared to ER-4P, but Sensaphonics sounds muddy compared to ER-4S.

i am gonna try to keep my nose outta this thread, cause it's mainly people throwing around their urgest and desires, and trying to figure out whether or not to get the ue-10 or the sensas...and that's fine.

but...

jlingo, i really don't think you've had the sensas long enough to make a good judgment about them. and that last comment is really just not fair.

it's one thing to say the etys have more high-end than the sensas, (which i wholeheartedly disagree agree with, because from what i heard, the etys just can't match the clarity and resolution in the high-end of the sensas) but to say they sound "muddy," well, that just is not the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back