UE vs. ETY vs. SHURE (Please help! Final decision on sound isolation)
Jul 14, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #16 of 27
Yeah, I believe my final battle will be ER4P vs. SE310, with a doubt to put an extra $50 for the SA6...

Jul 14, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't see how that is much of a factor, unless you are talking about an extreme case of some kind. I'll speak to Shure SE530/E500s, since that is what I am familiar with. The angle of the IEM nozzle is such that it inserts fully while the body rests nearly flush against your outer ear. I can't see how it's angle could impact isolation other than to facilitate using tips that actually accomplish that isolation.

As to the depth of insertion, different tips do extend more deeply than others. I've recently been using the tri-flange tips with my E500s and when I fully insert those, it starts to invoke the coughing reflex. That's pretty deep (though still not risking contact with the eardrum).

However, I think the primary thing impacting isolation is how well the tips will seal with your ear canal. Everyone's ears are different so there really isn't one answer for this. That includes customs. I've seen people here posting about custom tips that still don't seal very well. I've personally gotten great seals with black olive tips, tri-flanges, and (with E2Cs) the soft, grey tips. Oh, and the yellow foamies. All of those provided excellent isolation.

I've compared Shure E500 and Etymotic ER4P a while ago when I had both and using the same tips (black foamies), the isolation was significantly better on the Etymotic. Due to their design, the Etys can be inserted a lot deeper than the Shure into the ears so I assumed this was the cause of the better isolation, but I could be wrong.

Jul 14, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by gp_hebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've compared Shure E500 and Etymotic ER4P a while ago when I had both and using the same tips (black foamies), the isolation was significantly better on the Etymotic. Due to their design, the Etys can be inserted a lot deeper than the Shure into the ears so I assumed this was the cause of the better isolation, but I could be wrong.

I believe you, but would like to understand why. I checked the Headroom graphs and they back you up. Also, they show that the SE210 isolates about as well as any IEM discussed in this thread. Also, they show it isolating better than the SE310, 420, & much better than the 500/530. Very interesting stuff. I'm skeptical of the depth being the reason because, as I mentioned earlier, I am now using the tri-flange tips and they go in very deep. I doubt seriously the Ety inserts deeper. Actually, now I wonder what tips Headroom tested isolation on.

Jul 14, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #19 of 27
Yeah, I wonder why the SE210 is the best isolator in the Head Room's graphics... at least 75% of people in this forum agree with the Etys as best isolators...

Jul 14, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #20 of 27
I e-mailed the Head Room about this measurement. Let's find out soon when they reply.

Jul 14, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #21 of 27
OK, here's Head Room's explanation:

"...according to isolation figures taken by our $25,000 Neumann dummy head headset microphone lab bench tester ... However, the differences are extremely minor -- between 1-2dB -- and can be highly impacted by the individual's own ear canal shape and size as well."

Jul 14, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #22 of 27
I've had iems from all the 'big 3' too & I'd definitely agree about the superior isolation of the er4p/s.

I'd not suggest any UEs for meditation either. A lot of people have comfort issues with them which I imagine would take away from the experience.

Jul 14, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuwidol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had iems from all the 'big 3' too & I'd definitely agree about the superior isolation of the er4p/s.

Have you had a chance to compare those to the SE210s?

@goldfilm: Your reason for wanting great isolation is for meditation? So you are thinking to use these just as a kind of earplug when meditating? Or were you still planning to listen to some kind of sound during meditation?

I ask because it may be too stringent to require only the top IEM in isolation. I think most of these will isolate extremely well and, once you are listening to playback, it may be they are more than good enough for what you are looking for. If so, then you could consider the sound quality of the IEMs more heavily.

Jul 14, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #24 of 27
To the OP, you should try looking through the FS forums on this site, it's really worth it. Get 50 posts, I think, and stay for a while, and you'll find some great deals. Just got an SE420 from the forums a few days ago for $190 (thanks Dash), and I'm really enjoying it.

Personally, I wouldn't like too much isolation, even for purposes like blocking out everything on a bus ride. The Shures IME will give you enough isolation to reduce any motor noise to a quiet, low hum; if you're not playing music, you can hear a nearby person's voice faintly, but you'd have to take the earphones out to have a conversation. Can't help on sound quality as I've never heard a UE or Ety, but I can tell you that the warm signature of the SE420 at least is great for all sorts of rock and pop music. I don't really know about classical, but everything else works.

Jul 14, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you had a chance to compare those to the SE210s?

Not extensively sorry. SE530, triple.fi & Etymotic ER4S were the IEMs I spoke of.

Jul 15, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #26 of 27
Meditation is one part of it. When I meditate I want to use the IEMs as earplugs, adding some piano or classical on top, and I want to forget what is going on outside. Also I travel a lot, and that's another part of the decision. Especially in a bus/subway. I need great isolation to enjoy my music without cell phones ringing or people talking. Then I want to take advantage of the investment and go for a great sound quality. That's why I'm looking for a $130-$200. Otherwise I should buy the ETY 6i.

Thanks a lot to all of you! I guess I'll create a poll soon. I guess Atrio M5, Sleek SA6 and now the entry-level FreQ are in the finals... This forum is turning me crazy
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldfilm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also I travel a lot, and that's another part of the decision. Especially in a bus/subway. I need great isolation to enjoy my music without cell phones ringing or people talking.

OK, maybe this will help? I have Shure E500s. According to Headroom's graphs, these are not as isolating as other Shure models and various Ety's. Nevertheless, I can tell you they isolate so well that I can walk through a busy downtown with traffic all around and I can wait at a light rail station, then ride that train on my commute home and I hear NOTHING except my music. I did this today, in fact, and since we've been talking about isolation here I paid closer attention to this. The music wasn't particularly loud. I decided to listen to a few Beatles albums, so nothing powerful on the low end.

The point here is that the SE530s will do what you are asking for in isolation and they are fairly mundane in this respect when compared to the others you have mentioned. I think you will find that any of these will serve you well regarding isolation. I hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back