UE to introduce triple driver design to comepete with E500
Feb 17, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #107 of 127
backbaychef: A small change in tube length or position in the ear will not alter the sound to any discernable degree. This is what Bunnyears was describing, as well as what I've experienced when they trimmed the tubes on my UE-10's. However, adding a custom mold to a universal IEM adds a more significant length to the resulting tube. This does affect sound reproduction, at least according to the guys at UE.

EDIT: Thanks, p0wderh0und23!

Feb 17, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #108 of 127
I guess I am say this. I don't see why one tube length should really matter, because once you put it in my ear my ear canal length will be a different size to compared to someone elses, and will a custom earpiece attachment really add that much length (since either way the length of the "tube" will ultimately be from the source to my ear drum, be it plastic or flash, and that woudn't change by much if at all). Yes the diamater of the tube will change at different points, but will it change the sound that much. I am speaking of the "tube" as the composite of the earpiece and my canal.

Does any engineer know for sure. Price-wise the E500 with custom earpieces appeals to me more than the UE-10s. The ultimate question is, is the sound going to be 'ruined' with the E500/custom option?

Right now it sounds to me as if it's just a marketing scheme to say it makes a difference.

Feb 17, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #110 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by backbaychef
I guess I am say this. I don't see why one tube length should really matter, because once you put it in my ear my ear canal length will be a different size to compared to someone elses, and will a custom earpiece attachment really add that much length (since either way the length of the "tube" will ultimately be from the source to my ear drum, be it plastic or flash, and that woudn't change by much if at all). Yes the diamater of the tube will change at different points, but will it change the sound that much. I am speaking of the "tube" as the composite of the earpiece and my canal.

Does any engineer know for sure. Price-wise the E500 with custom earpieces appeals to me more than the UE-10s. The ultimate question is, is the sound going to be 'ruined' with the E500/custom option?

Right now it sounds to me as if it's just a marketing scheme to say it makes a difference.

Yeah, I think what they are trying to say is that a significant change in the length of the transducer tube itself (as opposed to the tube+your ear canal) can cause a treble roll-off at 5K. So maybe a change in the position of the IEM in your ear won't really matter. These will be great questions for the guys during the national meet's Q&A session.

Feb 17, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #111 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan
This thread just turned in to a history lesson of UE =D. Interesting stuff though.

Indeed. That was some very interesting information. Hard to imagine a falling out with the people over at UE because they are very nice.

Feb 18, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #112 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan
This thread just turned in to a history lesson of UE =D. Interesting stuff though.

word

Feb 19, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #113 of 127
http://www.ultimateears.com/superfi/...ter_feb06.html

newsletter_feb06.gif

Apr 29, 2006 at 11:22 AM Post #114 of 127
I posted this in another thread but didn't get any responses, so I figured I'd try in this one even though it's 2+ months old:

Thanks to the info from folks on the board, I got in line last week for HeadRoom's pre-order list on the e500s. Of course, the UE XXX is intriguing given the similar design and especially seeing as how they are both expected in June. What I'm wondering about is whether this pre-launch behavior is typical for UE? Meaning, there seems to be less definitive info known about their new product as compared to the e500s. Beyond that, I haven't seen anyone post here saying that they've heard the XXXs and haven't seen any pics (if I missed either, my bad). Every company operates differently, of course, but UE seems to be keeping a lot under wraps while still confirming that the XXXs are indeed coming in June. From the outside it makes me wonder if they are far enough along in development to actually ship the product then. Like I said though, every company operates differently and those who know UE well may be able to say whether this course of action on a new product of theirs is typical or not.

Jeff

Apr 29, 2006 at 2:23 PM Post #116 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
As for the question of whether the E500's are linear, well, that is tough to say when comparing it to my HP-2's because I didn't have my HP-2's at the time I demo'd the E500. As far as the Grado sound goes, the E500's are the best IEM's which can mimic the sound of a Grado. From memory, I would say they sound closer to an HP-2 than an RS-1 or PS-1. Hence why I liked them so much
icon10.gif

Actually I think that the E4c sounds a bit more like the IEM equivalent of HP2 (characteristics, not utmost quality per se) than the E500. The E4c is more balanced and sounds to me a bit more linear than the E500. None of the sound spectrum sticks out particularly. The E500 is more sonically contoured and extended on both ends, and sounds really lively and fun. It's my believe from my audition at the National Meet that the sound is shaped with a slightly heavier bass emphasis and certain sparkle to the treble. Also for IEMs, the E500 is impressive in its soundstage and sonic layering, easily besting the E4c and other IEMs. It's just more dimensional and out of the head than the others. This again is not a comparative quality of the HP2. However the E500 is more detailed and textured like the HP2. I was impressed by the E500 and expect to get the E500 in the near future.

p.s. I too did not have my HP2 at the meet, so the above impressions are just that.

Also to keep on topic. In an earlier post someone suggested that UE's goal was to have a very flat response for the XXX, so maybe the E500 and XXX will appeal to two different crowds, there will likely not necessarily be one better than the other, just a difference of preferences. In a way similar but reverse of the Super.fi.5 Pro vs. E4c. Both are great companies that continue to push the envelope of IEM design and really listen to the consumers.

Apr 29, 2006 at 3:56 PM Post #117 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski
Actually I think that the E4c sounds a bit more like the IEM equivalent of HP2 (characteristics, not utmost quality per se) than the E500. The E4c is more balanced and sounds to me a bit more linear than the E500. None of the sound spectrum sticks out particularly. The E500 is more sonically contoured and extended on both ends, and sounds really lively and fun. It's my believe from my audition at the National Meet that the sound is shaped with a slightly heavier bass emphasis and certain sparkle to the treble. Also for IEMs, the E500 is impressive in its soundstage and sonic layering, easily besting the E4c and other IEMs. It's just more dimensional and out of the head than the others. This again is not a comparative quality of the HP2. However the E500 is more detailed and textured like the HP2. I was impressed by the E500 and expect to get the E500 in the near future.

p.s. I too did not have my HP2 at the meet, so the above impressions are just that.

Also to keep on topic. In an earlier post someone suggested that UE's goal was to have a very flat response for the XXX, so maybe the E500 and XXX will appeal to two different crowds, there will likely not necessarily be one better than the other, just a difference of preferences. In a way similar but reverse of the Super.fi.5 Pro vs. E4c. Both are great companies that continue to push the envelope of IEM design and really listen to the consumers.

Great post and sums up my opinion pretty to the tee. I thnk the X^3 (yet another way to denote it) will be more accurate than the E500's since it was made to be a UE10P universal clone with a small bass boost. The E500 is certainly colored dare I say msucial. There is definitely some low-end emphasis going on - its practically the very first thing people notice. Btw, the Shure person on the panel at the Nationals stated to the effect that most people love bass and insinuated the average person things bass equals quality. I tend to agree but this does explain the E500's emphasis on the low-end.

The XXX will probably have better extended treble range but lack some of the warmth in the mids due to tis monitor focus. The E500's seems to be targeted at the audiophile iPOD user NOT the in studio technician - anyway this is complete speculation on my part and I don't want to sell either of these fine companies short.

icon10.gif

Apr 29, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #118 of 127
I can't say too much, but having gotten a chance to hear both the E500's and a prototype of the XXX's at the National meet, IEM buyers are in for a sweet summer of personal audio... I have my preference, but will wait to comment until both are released for production.

Apr 29, 2006 at 8:17 PM Post #120 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Right on!

Bring on the price wars!

Or, next up, Quad driver IEM's!!!

-Ed

Tell me about it! Price is a major deciding factor for me. The lower price of the UEs may be able to tempt me away from the E500! I shall wait and see. I'm looking for a successor to my brilliant ER4S!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back