Feb 17, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #91 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Hahaha. Super. P.o.r.n.
biggrin.gif

Now will these be triple bore?

[size=xx-small]I know they won't but it would be funny.[/size]
-Ed

LOL! I must be going blind. I read triple hore.
eek.gif

Feb 17, 2006 at 8:09 AM Post #92 of 127
If they tune the driver to the tube length, and for universals this will be a set length, doesn't the size of your ear canal effect this as well? Meaning if two different people use the same universal E500, won't the sound sound different to both individuals, assuming they have different size ear canals? And if this is correct, wouldn't you have just the same chance of having an out of tune universal vs. an in tune one? So does it really matter then if you get a custom attachment.

I mean if you are comparing UE-10 vs E500 w/ custom attachment, then it sounds as if the UE-10s are tuned just for you. But if you are comparing E500 w/o vs. E500 w/ custom, that ethier way they aren't designed precisely for you so the sound will be different either way?

The reason I ask is, I hate the idea of buying the UE-10s and knowing that the E500s are better, or, buying the UE-10s and having them release a UE-NC17 a couple months after.

I mean lets think about this. A lot of the UE-10 isn't custom. Only the part that goes in your ear. So why don't they make a custom molding for that part, then offer an upgrade process. Yeah charge me $50-$100 for "tuning" etc, instead of charging me $1k each time I want to upgrade.

But then here I am a 30 year old, old married guy, living on campus in the dorms with 20 year olds, and all I get is noise noise noise. Sigh, my hd-650s have become useless and I need something to keep my sanity.

Thanks for letting me vent.

BackBayChef
www.how2dance.com
www.cultureshocked.net

Feb 17, 2006 at 8:56 AM Post #93 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by backbaychef
If they tune the driver to the tube length, and for universals this will be a set length, doesn't the size of your ear canal effect this as well? Meaning if two different people use the same universal E500, won't the sound sound different to both individuals, assuming they have different size ear canals? And if this is correct, wouldn't you have just the same chance of having an out of tune universal vs. an in tune one? So does it really matter then if you get a custom attachment.

I mean if you are comparing UE-10 vs E500 w/ custom attachment, then it sounds as if the UE-10s are tuned just for you. But if you are comparing E500 w/o vs. E500 w/ custom, that ethier way they aren't designed precisely for you so the sound will be different either way?

The reason I ask is, I hate the idea of buying the UE-10s and knowing that the E500s are better, or, buying the UE-10s and having them release a UE-NC17 a couple months after.

I mean lets think about this. A lot of the UE-10 isn't custom. Only the part that goes in your ear. So why don't they make a custom molding for that part, then offer an upgrade process. Yeah charge me $50-$100 for "tuning" etc, instead of charging me $1k each time I want to upgrade.

But then here I am a 30 year old, old married guy, living on campus in the dorms with 20 year olds, and all I get is noise noise noise. Sigh, my hd-650s have become useless and I need something to keep my sanity.

Thanks for letting me vent.

BackBayChef
www.how2dance.com
www.cultureshocked.net

yea baby thats what i like
basshead.gif

Feb 17, 2006 at 9:54 AM Post #94 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by imz14u2nv
I must say that I totally disagree with you on this, I think that they have been making custom molds long enough that it should be pretty simple to get it right the first time.

Try to look at this from the perspective of the companies. Do you really think they want you to go through multiple refits that THEY will have to pay for? After all, wouldn't it be better for them if the first fit was sufficient? It would certainly save them money...

Feb 17, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #95 of 127
Quote:

The main problem is all these companies are using hearing aid drivers.

This a false statement. Yes most companies use the same ones, that is general knowledge.... BUT these are made for the music industry, NOT the hearing aid industry. Let's keep our facts straight here kiddies !
icon10.gif

Feb 17, 2006 at 7:27 PM Post #96 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
I hope it is not the same design as the Super.Fi series, but more like the shure design. I just hate those things sticking out of my ears like that!
mad.gif

Yes, definitely UGLY.
mad.gif

And I find the thicker end pieces uncomfortable as well. .
frown.gif

Feb 17, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #97 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by sxr71
However, I have my doubts that any of these companies actually tune anything based on tube length. They might have a range for acceptable tube lengths, but I doubt that they bother changing drivers or even changing values on a circuit board based on tube lengths.

I have Sensaphonics and the right ear was painful, so they fixed it by cutting a neat chunk off the end that went into the ear (it's substantially shorter than the left one now) and guess what, NO DIFFERENCE in the sound!!!

Feb 17, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #98 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23
This a false statement. Yes most companies use the same ones, that is general knowledge.... BUT these are made for the music industry, NOT the hearing aid industry. Let's keep our facts straight here kiddies !
icon10.gif

Hey that's good to know. I always assumed the iem companies just tweaked them for music playback. So there is a definite focus on music playback when the actual drivers are designed. Sorry for making wrong assumptions.
frown.gif

Feb 17, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #99 of 127
Yes there is a difference. Now in the "way-back days" there was tuning of hearing aid drivers, but those days have changed. The people at Knowels are VERY aware of the trend and are investing TONS of $$$ into stuff that will make your ears sing for joy (just be patient).

Feb 17, 2006 at 7:47 PM Post #101 of 127
Quote:

Yes there is a difference. Now in the "way-back days" there was tuning of hearing aid drivers, but those days have changed. The people at Knowels are VERY aware of the trend and are investing TONS of $$$ into stuff that will make your ears sing for joy (just be patient).

Now were talking. Can't wait to see what the future holds.

Feb 17, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #102 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by saab
Sorry to deviate from the thread, but what is the UE3 that is in your sig powderhound?

It's one of the original "Ultimate Ears by Westone" ear pieces when UE and Westone were working together.

Feb 17, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #104 of 127
Quote:

It's one of the original UE earpieces when Westone started UE.

Sorry, OT, but... Westone started UE? With Jerry and Mindy, or did they come into the picture later?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back