UE TF10, vs Sure 425, vs westone 3 - 4
Aug 17, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #16 of 17
First up, I think the OP's mids comment has to be fit with his TF10s. If you don't get a good seal with any BA IEM you will not hear the bass as intended. TF10s are definitely V-shaped although IMHO not as pronounced as some might infer.

But I'm sorta going through the same dilemma of which IEM to buy. I had a TF10 which once I replaced the cables with a Westone Epic and connected flip flop style then fitted with Comply foams was probably my favourite IEM. Before the mods I purchased a set of Shure 535s which I used mostly when travelling and away from home and the TF10s at home. Frankly while the 535s have more bass and great mids for vocals, I liked the TF10s more for instrumental and Jazz, my preferred music, but only after the mods. With them I found them extremely comfortable despite their size. Trouble is, I've lost the TF10s while travelling. I dont normally take them but did for a trip recently and when I got home they weren't I the case. I'm really disappointed at losing them.

So while waiting to see if my insurance will pay out, I got a set of Yamaha EPH-100 after reading some good things about them. Of course these are totally different from the TF10s and the Shures and while I find them fun and warm which suits some of my music tastes, they aren't a replacement for the TF10s. I'm so tempted to buy another set and cable.

So why the dilemma? Well, it's because I don't feel the need since the 535s aren't all that different and really are good phones. But I really wouldn't mind trying something different like W4Rs or UM3Xs. But no point unless either is a real step up from the 535s. At the end of the day, I got the insurance money and I could just pocket that.

What would you guys do?

Aug 17, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #17 of 17
I think my main issue is the tf10's not fitting properly and not being able to here them correctly skews my tast in sound signature. 
Quote:
First up, I think the OP's mids comment has to be fit with his TF10s. If you don't get a good seal with any BA IEM you will not hear the bass as intended. TF10s are definitely V-shaped although IMHO not as pronounced as some might infer.
But I'm sorta going through the same dilemma of which IEM to buy. I had a TF10 which once I replaced the cables with a Westone Epic and connected flip flop style then fitted with Comply foams was probably my favourite IEM. Before the mods I purchased a set of Shure 535s which I used mostly when travelling and away from home and the TF10s at home. Frankly while the 535s have more bass and great mids for vocals, I liked the TF10s more for instrumental and Jazz, my preferred music, but only after the mods. With them I found them extremely comfortable despite their size. Trouble is, I've lost the TF10s while travelling. I dont normally take them but did for a trip recently and when I got home they weren't I the case. I'm really disappointed at losing them.
So while waiting to see if my insurance will pay out, I got a set of Yamaha EPH-100 after reading some good things about them. Of course these are totally different from the TF10s and the Shures and while I find them fun and warm which suits some of my music tastes, they aren't a replacement for the TF10s. I'm so tempted to buy another set and cable.
So why the dilemma? Well, it's because I don't feel the need since the 535s aren't all that different and really are good phones. But I really wouldn't mind trying something different like W4Rs or UM3Xs. But no point unless either is a real step up from the 535s. At the end of the day, I got the insurance money and I could just pocket that.
What would you guys do?

Did the mods really make it sound that much different?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back