UE Superfi cable smell - should I return them?
Feb 7, 2007 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

geardoc

100+ Head-Fier
I just got my new superfi10's as well as a replacement cablle for my superfi5's and both cables have a chemical smell of plastic. Kind of nasty odor, like solvent. I don't want to have them around my head.

My question is should I return both of these or wait? Does the smell dissipate? Have you experienced this? What did you do?

Feb 7, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #3 of 12
My 5 pros smelled like hell when I first got them. Same plastic chemical smell. The smell will dissipate over time but not real quickly it takes a while.

Feb 8, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #4 of 12
The smell does fade, but I'm not sure if that's just me getting used to them.

Feb 8, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #7 of 12
The smell should fade but could reappear if they get too hot. It's usually due to phtalates, which are PVC softening agents. They're what cause new-car smell too.

Feb 8, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #8 of 12
Yeah, it's the smell of the plasticizers that soften the PVC. Funny that their high end products aren't made with a plasticizer-free soft PVC formula.

It's not toxic, don't worry about it. It'll wear off over time. You can try cleansing them with a variety of household cleansers to remove or mask the smell. Soap and water, alcohol, glass cleaner, etc etc. Just be sure it's not acetone or anything damaging to plastics.

Or use one of the scented frebreze formulas. Senns aren't the only thing that can smell like spring flowers. :p

Feb 8, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny that their high end products aren't made with a plasticizer-free soft PVC formula.

It's not toxic, don't worry about it.

Plasticizer-free soft PVC doesn't really exist. If it's not rigid, and it's PVC, then there are plasticizers. Some think they're safe, some don't. Personally, I think I may have an allergy to them.

Feb 8, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL... Now I had to smell my triple.fi cable to see if you were crazy or not.

Haha, same here with the Super.fi 5's. The cable smells strange. Somehow, this doesn't seem to get in the way of my listening
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back