UE SuperFi 5vi on Amazon £49.99
Aug 6, 2010 at 11:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

iAJB

New Head-Fier
Hi,

After returning my Klipsch Image S4's due to the harshness/sibilance which I just couldn't put up with even after 50 hour burn in. However, I did like the bass on the S4's.

Amazon are selling the Ultimate Ears Super Fi 5vi  for £49.99 ($79) when it should be £130 ($206) which is the RRP, I realise you can pick them up for cheaper but not this cheap.

I'm going to be using headphones with my iPod Touch so the call feature really isn't any benefit to me, however I like the double tap to skip tracks. I would buy the none iPhone version but its £76.99, so no brainer.

Anybody own these headphones that could give me a quick review? I read they lack bass/lows which are important to me. Also just making people aware who were thinking of buying these phones on the deal.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 6, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #2 of 14
erm yes and its even cheaper on dabs.com

38 for normal 41 for vi

oh and super quick review, for that money they are really not bad at all.  pretty clean sounding and maybe a tiny bit harsh in the highs after a while.  tbh id take them over the ue700.  good fun and energetic.

Aug 6, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #3 of 14

Quote:
erm yes and its even cheaper on dabs.com

38 for normal 41 for vi

oh and super quick review, for that money they are really not bad at all.  pretty clean sounding and maybe a tiny bit harsh in the highs after a while.  tbh id take them over the ue700.  good fun and energetic.

thanks for heads up i'll check out dabs.com, as i said not really bothered about mic function. 

Over the UE700? they got pretty good reviews but guess its all personal preference, haven't tried myself.

Aug 6, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #4 of 14
Another thing, I'd be more inclined to buy off Amazon for their amazing returns policy. Props to them; took 24 hours for them to receive them after I sent S4's back after opening/listening, they paid for the postage and refunded me the same day they received the headphones back no questions asked.

Aug 6, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
what's the bass like on these?  Pity the EB version can't be found for just as cheap

just what I want to know before buying them.

@mark, I wasn't aware of that, because on Amazon's return policy it states an item must be faulty to return if the box has been opened, however they refunded me and I had opened the S4's obviously and they were not faulty. Thanks again for useful info!

Aug 6, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
Hellow, mark2410, do you think super fi 5 are much better than de super fi 4? ihave de 4s and i would like to buy the 5s but im not shure if they are much better

yes.  offers a much cleaner sound than the fairly cloudy sf4

Quote:
what's the bass like on these?  Pity the EB version can't be found for just as cheap

if your even thinking about the EB then id think you wont like them

Quote:
just what I want to know before buying them.  
@mark, I wasn't aware of that, because on Amazon's return policy it states an item must be faulty to return if the box has been opened, however they refunded me and I had opened the S4's obviously and they were not faulty. Thanks again for useful info!

yep, DSR (distance selling regulation) companys can say what they like but you get 7 working days from delivery to send back for any reason you want

Aug 6, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #10 of 14
whats the bass like on these compared to the S4's? I found the S4 bass a little boomy (got better with burn in) but I liked the amount, wouldn't mind if it was a little less than the S4's but they had good bass IMO.

Aug 6, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #11 of 14
its better in quality but it has a brighter sound than the sf4, which was slightly bass heavy.  the S4 is a bass monster so its got quite a lot less than it. 

the sf5 can pump out bass but dont expect it to be ever present and dominant like it is on the S4

Aug 6, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #12 of 14
Thanks again Mark for replies.

I think I'm going to buy these just for the good price they are going at, after all I'm having to live with standard Apple headphones atm...if I don't feel these UE are 'amazing' I'll just use them for going to the gym and college etc, the over ear design will come in handy.

Not to go completely OT, but what in ear headphones would you recommend for bass heavy music? I want bass presence for hip hop etc but I don't want it to ruin electronica and other genres. Under £100 
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #13 of 14
the IE7 or C751.  the 7 is clearly a step up on the denon but it has more of a richness to it and the denon has a more cold, dry presentation but still very bassy.

the senn is better but the sound of the denon just really suits electronica and stuff.  still if it was me id have to toke the IE7, side by side they just are so noticeably better than the denon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back