UE Superfi 4 or Klipsch S4
Oct 14, 2009 at 4:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Demonsblood

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am completely clueless when it comes to music technology and I need some advice! Now, I listen to a wide variety of music genres and am hoping for an overall best choice within my price range of 120 CANADIAN. I would like to point out that I listen to R&B and Hip-Hop the most so emphasis on quality of those songs is stronger. It would also be an added bonus if they looked good =] but not necessary!

Could anyone maybe rank these or tell me which would be best?

Now, around my area in Canada I have access to:

Ultimate Ears Superfi 3
Ultimate Ears Superfi 4
Klipsch Image S4
Monster Turbine

I can also pick up:

SoundMAGIC pl-50
Westone UM1
Audeo Phonak pfe

I would put more preference on things I can find locally!

thanks everyone, looking to purchase within a week!

Oct 14, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #3 of 8
I can only comment on the Superfi 4, and although I like mine, I think I have to recommend against them for your music tastes. They're a little light on the bass, which doesn't bother me because I'm really not a basshead, but I'd imagine that you'd want a more bass-heavy sound for hip-hop.

Mind you, I find them perfectly acceptable for electronic music with heavy bass, but it's probably best not too take the chance when there are probably better options out there. Someone will surely come along with more recommendations soon, if they haven't already (and probably none of them will be for the 4; they don't get a lot of love around here).

But, I have to ask: where are you in Canada that you can get all that stuff locally? I must know!

Oct 14, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #4 of 8
the S4's make the sf4's sound bland. S4's will have the superior bass for the type of music you listen to, & will also have superior clarity. The only real advantage the UE's will have is that the cable feels more durable, and the sq is quicker & more controlled than the s4's. Side by side though, the s4's just sound better, plain and simple. I'd either go for them, or the PFE's (if they've fixed the durability issues).

Oct 15, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #5 of 8
I just got my S4's today and listened to them for about 20 minutes, all I can say is holy harsh, hoping this gets better with burn in. Otherwise they seem superb in almost every, think they will end up being great all arounders.

Oct 15, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark50521 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my S4's today and listened to them for about 20 minutes, all I can say is holy harsh, hoping this gets better with burn in. Otherwise they seem superb in almost every, think they will end up being great all arounders.

that's fixed in the burn in dont worry
i would recommend the S4's

Oct 15, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #7 of 8
I was also wondering, if the PFE or Westone 1 was worth the extra money over the S4's assuming I want to spend as close to my budget as possible about 100 canadian, because the PFE and westone 1 can be had for about 150 canadian.

Oct 15, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #8 of 8
Owned both the PFEs and own the S4s, and value-wise, the S4s are a better choice. I like the PFEs but felt they needed an amp to really shine. Also, I would wait for the newer models if you go that route (they are supposed to be out, and may already be). There were tons of durability issues with the original PFE. Also, 100 hours of burn-in is mandatory with the S4s. Finally, I like the gels, but I tried a modified Shure tri-flange (cut off the smallest flange and trimmed the stalk to even with the large flange) and now they sound even better without a loss of comfort. Can't comment on the SF4, but I shipped the SF5 v2 back within a week. Boring, to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back