UE Super Fi Pros 5 - not very good?
Sep 4, 2009 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Scot1970

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I am looking for some advice... I have heard so many great reviews of the UE Super fi pros 5's, so I bought a pair. However, I found that they had a strong mid-range that seemed to cloud the overall sound, even after running in. They did bring out detail, but in much classical music, big symphonic works, the sound felt a bit muddy. Bass was good and so was treble, but the overall experience was not satisfying. Also, the soundstage didn't seem to merge enough. It felt like I was listening to two distinct left and right channels with nothing much in the middle, if you take my meaning. Everyone else raves about them but I wasn't that impressed with their performance with classical music, which is what I mainly listen to. Am I only one who feels this?

I am used to listening to Grado SR 80s, which have a very smooth and wide sound and therein may lie the problem - being used to that type of sound.

Can you help recommend a good pair of IEMs which are perhaps slightly cheaper in price than the Super Fi 5's? I am still keen to use IEMs because I want to listen on the move.

Thank you :)

Scot

Sep 4, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #3 of 5
It's tough to get that expansive, big sound that full size cans give us when using portables.

Tip selection and fit has a lot to do with it.

The other variable here is the fact that iems isolate more than any full size headphones can. It's a different sound to get used to. It's an unnatural silence.

With that said, my UM2 and Phonak PFE can present an immersive sound similar to my full size headphones. My er6i, however, just don't have the low end to create a convincing soundstage. The bass is rolled off which means part of the music is not there.

You will want to look into the head-direct RE0. Mine are ordered so I've not listened to them yet. Based on my research they seem to lack any boominess in the bass region. Definitely a good thing.

Sep 4, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #4 of 5
super.fi 5 pros aren't really suited to classical. For me, they do it fine anyway, but if you've got a super trained ear (professional).

the real problem i think you're having, is a fit issue. Have you tried the full range of tips? for me, the small size works best, even though i use medium for all my other IEMs. I also wear mine reversed. with the right piece in the left ear, and vice versa. it makes the monitors more stream lined, and easier to maintain in you ear. also, i find it's important to get the wire bent right around the back of your ear so there's leverage holding the IEM in your ear.

if you don't want the sf.5 pros, then i suggest the etymotic er4p, which from what i've read is the benchmark standard of IEMs, and a LOAD of people own them.

Sep 4, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #5 of 5
I didn't like them very much for rock either -- I'm pretty much in agreement with the original poster. I liked the Klipsch X5 much, much better. I recently lost those and replaced them with Sleek SA6's. I am getting a replacement set of X5's and will keep one or the other, probably the X5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back