UE Super.fi Pro 5 ... wow!
Apr 28, 2006 at 12:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

hiatts

New Head-Fier
Arrived earlier in the week from www.earphonesolutions.com. Price 100 SGD less than at apple.com.sg.

I am impressed! The bass is not booming, but sharp and concise. The sounds are amazing.

I have discovered a funny thing... when listening to my nano I can turn the volume off and some songs I can still hear, with volume off!

Late at night I listen to the nano at one notch from off and to be honest would even prefer a lower level of adjustment.

Glad I gotem... thanks to all of you for your postings and thoughts.

Next... a cmoy amp and maybe some closed cans.

PS... I tried them on a Samsung CD/mp3 portable... so much hiss, not a good source.

Apr 29, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #2 of 13
Welcome to the sf5p fan club!
tongue.gif
I love mine and had was very impressed by them on first listen. Then, as I cleaned up my sources, and added different types of amps to the mix, I really, really was impressed with these babies.
smily_headphones1.gif

They sound great right out of iPod.

Apr 29, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by vo328
Welcome to the sf5p fan club!
tongue.gif
I love mine and had was very impressed by them on first listen. Then, as I cleaned up my sources, and added different types of amps to the mix, I really, really was impressed with these babies.
smily_headphones1.gif

They sound great right out of iPod.

What amps did you find most satisfying? (what kind of music do you listen to btw?)

From my understanding the sf5p doesnt really gain much from an amp, atleast not enough to justify the cost...

Yea, Congrats hiatts.

Apr 29, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSeru
From my understanding the sf5p doesnt really gain much from an amp, atleast not enough to justify the cost...

x2 I agree

Most headphones gain little from an external dedicated amp
unless you're running something like the K1000s... expensive external amps arn't needed. Ipod drives headphones such as SFP5 fine

Apr 29, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #5 of 13
sf5p is just a great iem. And it was fun to talk to Jerry about it at the National Meet because you realize that he didn't make them to be a clinical/analytical iem, he just wanted to make something fun, but also well-rounded that would make for a really satisfying listening experience. I believe he succeeded there.

Just wait for the xxx!

Apr 29, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSeru

Exactly! It's the reason I kept them over the ER4Ps.

The ER4Ps are analytical, detailed, and overall a better IEM IMO. If I were to sit at home, with only IEMs plus amp, the Etys would have never been sold.

BBBBBUUUUUTTTTT that's not what I want. I want my portable rig small and ampless - a one-pocket deal. Once I heard the Etys amped I could not go back ampless. The SF5Ps fills that "in between" niche for me. I don't find SF5Ps benefit from an amp much if at all.

The fun bass in the SF5Ps is more what I'm looking for when I'm out and about.

Apr 29, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #7 of 13
I just got my SFP5's today and am running them straight out of my 5G IPod. They sound addictive and as mentioned above - they sound FUN - which I think will especially help on a plane.
etysmile.gif

Congrats!

Apr 29, 2006 at 8:40 AM Post #8 of 13
Most of you have already covered all this on the forum, and your great comments is what led me to UE SF Pro 5.
  • well matched to iPod output
  • great performace across all music types (classical, rap, rock, metal, ...)
  • amp doesn't improve performance

I just can't get them out of my ears
etysmile.gif
!

The music is so different, subtle instrumentations I never heard before, voices are warmer. I run some Kilsch Pro Medias from my PC and iPod. They are great, a little too bassy if anything, still never heard music like this.
icon10.gif

Apr 29, 2006 at 10:46 AM Post #9 of 13
5pros are nice, you'll wanta get rid of single-driver IEMs. Well, keep the Shures cause they'll stand up to hard use til they break and you mail them back.

For a really interesting soundstage, 5pro in left ear, UM2 in right. They're really well matched impedance-wise.

Apr 29, 2006 at 11:01 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri
Hmmm how do these compare to UM2?

Umm, dunno, really, I just opened the UM2s 2 hours ago. I was going to burn in a little even tho 2/3 of the forum say not necessary/ineffective. I've been lsitening to Dave Stringer, Keith Jarrett, old Miles, Scriabin solo piano, with one UM2, one 5Pro, and, well, some of the instruments have some weird shapes. It's hard to verbalize, it's not like a Grado-Sennheiser difference, they're a lot closer.

May 2, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #12 of 13
i just got super.fi 5 pros today, and I'm going to disagree and say that I think they do improve by amping. Bass definitely had more impact with both my pa2v2 and my govibe. obviously things warmed up with the pa2v2, but I think I was leaning toward the govibe.

May 2, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #13 of 13
If the source , cable, and amp are good, sound (attack and dynamics) will improve. You can't expect much from a middle of the pack amp like, say, a Cmoy. And certainly not from a Nano. But this is just being argumentative.

I do respect your own observations. If you don't notice a change on your equipment, then perhaps there no perceivable change. And that is all that matters.

But if you want to pursue it, your iems are capable of so much more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back