UE Super.fi 5Pro Issues
Oct 25, 2005 at 1:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Apocalypse_HD650

Head-Fier
confused.gif
I just recently received a pair of black 5Pro's. I've come off a Sennheiser HD650. I've never used in-ear headphones and am finding them slightly harsh, particularly at high volumes. I'm pretty sure I've got the seal correct; I'm using the small single flange sleeve. In terms of isolation it definitely seals the outside world off considerably. However I can still hear the faint noise of my keyboard; is this normal?
Bass certainly is not an issue, contrary to what I have read, detail is great too.

My main problem is that compared to the HD650's the music sounds congested and not as airy and open, it is also harsher at higher volumes. For rock, trance etc it doesn't seem as silky smooth. In essence my question is that is it pointless to compare any canal phone with the HD650's; or could I get an improvement by choosing another set of ear phones?

I was going to get the UM2's but needed to have them delivered before I left the US, they were on back order. Are UM2's considerably better in my area of concern?

Finally will these improve with breaking in? My Sennheisers certainly did, but it seems difficult to imagine these Super.fi 5Pro's will since their drivers are so small any way?

Oct 25, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apocalypse_HD650
In essence my question is that is it pointless to compare any canal phone with the HD650's;

I would say yes. Probably up until you get Sensas or UE 10pros, full size cans will be better than canalphones in every way except isolation. the canalphone companies say that there is no burn in with armature drivers.

as for the seal, I can hear myself typing as well when using the shure e3's or e4's.

Oct 25, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks-I'm actually currently sort of adapting to the difference. I'm considering getting the UM2's as well as the super.fi's since my brother wants a pair too. Would the UM2's be considerably better than the super.fi's?

Oct 25, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #6 of 8
Regardless of whether or not the driver actually burns in, there is almost always a psychological burn in period during which you become acustomed to the way a particular spearker, headphone, or earphone sounds. Give the 650's a few days off and only listen to the 5 Pro. It's very likely the harshness will go away. Most people don't find them harsh at all.

Also, try all the different tips and don't be afraid to use different sizes in each ear. Tips change the sound a lot. I don't like the 5 Pros very much with the foam tips but won't use any other tip than foam with my E4. If you're finding the 5 Pro harsh, I suggest you start with the foam tips, that should tame them a bit.

Oct 25, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by steel102
as for the seal, I can hear myself typing as well when using the shure e3's or e4's.

Odd, I cant hear myself typing with the e4s, but then again I do have a rather quiet keyboard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back