UE Super.fi 5 Pro?
May 9, 2006 at 10:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

barkas

Head-Fier
I have Shure e3cs and find them lacking in bass. So I consider upgrading to UE Superfi 5 Pros, only I read the user guide and saw the ear insertion pictures. Is it true they always protrude in this horrible
wink.gif
way from your ears? Can some owner of them post a picture?

And as alternative, would it be worth it to upgrade to Shure e4s?

And Hi to you all, I'm already sorry about my wallet
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2006 at 10:54 AM Post #2 of 23
Welcome to Head-Fi, barkas.
biggrin.gif

Yes, the UE SF Pros do, indeed, protrude quite a bit. As for upgrading to the E4, I have both the E3 and E4, and if you are concerned with getting more bass, particularly unamped, then I would look into the Westone UM2.
They are supremely comfortable, do not protrude at all, and will provide you with bass similar to full sized cans.
Alternately, if you have the money, you might want to consider the Shure E5. To my ears, they provide similar bass and overall sound quality on a par with the UM2s.
Hope this helps.

May 9, 2006 at 11:09 AM Post #3 of 23
The SuperFis can be had at 190$, and with the favorable rate of exchange to the euro, that's about the top end of my budget, meaning, already more than I really want to pay
wink.gif

It seems that the tip of the superfi 5 is angled a bit, like the shures are, but that this angle angles the phones out, not in, wouldn't it be possible to reverse the sides and the cables and angle those things in instead of out?

On second thought, they look much too gigantic to angle them in. I can already visualize the kids on the train pointing and saying: "Look, momma, that man has a plastic bar through his head"
biggrin.gif

So, would the E4 be a noticeable improvement?

May 9, 2006 at 11:46 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by barkas
Thanks a lot. Any chance of a pic?

Sorry, no camera for a few weeks. My son has it.
Don't worry so much about how they look.........the sound is wonderfully full, rich and musical, to my ears, of course. And I wear them out a lot.......haven't seen anybody staring.
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2006 at 12:02 PM Post #9 of 23
The e4's need an amp to sound really good

So if you don't have an amp and it's bass that you want, get an superfi5 pro

And don't worry too much how they look, they aren't that weird looking IMO

May 9, 2006 at 2:19 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
I have the superfi's I dont think they stick out that much and I have a small head
very_evil_smiley.gif

They do look slightly odd (very slghtly) but you will be in audio nirvana IMHO so you wont care
etysmile.gif

2nd this. They won't be a problem unless you like listening while lying on one side.

May 9, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #14 of 23
Both the e4cs and the UE 5 have more bass than the e3cs. The UE 5s have more bass than the e4cs but I love them both.

I got rid of my UEs not because of the sound, which was great, but because they were impossible for me to fit/seal comfortably (even with their foamies). They have a larger tube at the end, and don't go as far into the ear canal as the Shures. The Shures offer a better fit to a larger number of people.

If you can try someone else's UEs first, and they fit, go for it. But you might want to check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back